Friday, August 7, 2026

Emmeleia Interview

 1. For those that have never heard of you so far, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

Emmeleia is an atmospheric black metal project from Colombia. I would describe Emmeleia as poetic and philosophical meditations expressed through a balance between riff-driven metal and emotional atmospheres.


2. So far you have released 3 full lengths and an EP, musically how do you feel they differ from each other?

Most of the music I’ve released was written within a very short period of time years before I started recording it, so I don't feel the individual releases differ greatly except for certain mixing and production choices that I made in each case. Listeners may notice similar patterns in how the most intense riff climaxes develop, as well as in my frequent use of spoken word to recite literary and philosophical texts, so it all belongs to the same vision.


3. A lot of your lyrics make references to Nietzsche and other philosophers, which western philosophers have inspired your lyrics so far?

Several thinkers and philosophical traditions are present explicitly or implicitly in my lyrics, from Epictetus and the ancient Stoics to modern figures like Georges Bataille and Emil Cioran. Nietzsche, with his haunting premonition of the "two centuries of nihilism," was the central inspiration for the 'Umbra Dei' EP. I mentioned Bataille, who I began reading because of Deathspell Omega, so I would also cite that band as an important philosophical influence (not so much musically).


4. You have also made references to poets, which poetry authors have had the most influence on the songwriting?

Most of my lyrics are built around a literary or philosophical fragment or concept, so in that sense the writers I quote are all equally influential on the music. Paul Celan, Lautréamont, Samuel Beckett, Jorge Luis Borges, Walt Whitman, H. P. Lovecraft, and a few other writers and poets have appeared in my lyrics. Hölderlin and Maurice Blanchot will be referenced in a coming album... This list of names is not anthological or decorative: all these literary references serve a purpose in the lyrics as a central part of the music. In fact, Emmeleia was originally conceived as black metal with spoken word only, reciting poetry and philosophy in different languages.


5. What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?

My lyrical themes, through the several philosophical and literary traditions I've mentioned, always circle around impermanence, death, memory, myth, and a yearning for silence, the great cosmic silence. I believe these themes naturally fit the intensity of the music.


6. I know that the project was named after the solemn and stately dance used in the Greek tragedies, how does this name fit in with the musical style that you play?

It's tragedy all the way down, from the first star to the last atom: poetry and philosophy give words to this tragedy, and the music solemnly "dances" to it. The name Emmeleia is also a modest homage to Dead Can Dance and their song of the same name.


7. With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

I might someday try to put together a group of like-minded musicians to play live, but Emmeleia will remain a solitary endeavor. As an artistic outlet rather than a band, working alone is the natural choice for maintaining a coherent expressive vision. The greatest disadvantages are being limited to my own poor musical skills and the fact that reaching listeners becomes much harder when there isn't a network around the project. Absolute artistic freedom is what I have decided to prioritize.


8. You have also done a 'Burzum' cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of his songs?

Cover songs are, for me, a way of celebrating and showing respect to important influences, and a chance to make interesting variations on already excellent music. Leaving aside Varg Vikernes' personal politics and beliefs, Burzum is arguably the foundation of atmospheric black metal. That song in particular, from Burzum's 'Belus' album, is an underrated gem. I wanted to try a very calculated version and I'm pleased with the result. I have other covers planned for the future: Bathory, Summoning... 


9. On a worldwide level, how has the reaction been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal?

Considering this is an anonymous studio-only project that is deliberately obscure and philosophical, besides having very little promotion and visibility, the reaction has been unexpectedly positive. Very soon after posting the first album online I received an offer for a physical release, also for the second album (A Pile of Graves Records), and listeners frequently donate on Bandcamp though all my music is there for free. But we know this is not music for the masses, so I am satisfied when even just one person takes the time to discuss concepts or express their feelings about the music. Emmeleia comes from a personal creative need; if I were the last remaining Homo sapiens in a prehistoric cave I'd still be doing this, but there’s a certain hopefulness in companionship, even in the illusory nature of communication. I commend your zine and others, also the underground black metal channels on YouTube and the like, who take the time to listen to obscure bands and promote them out of genuine interest. There are so many great artists out there!


10. When can we expect new music and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I'm currently working on a new album titled 'Praecipe Lugubris Cantus, Melpomene', conceived as a continuation of the themes explored on 'Umbra Dei'. I’m hoping to have it ready by early 2027, although my daily obligations these days leave very little time for creative work. There are also a few cover songs planned. Further down the line, I might try to play live… We'll see if the stars align.


11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

The first influences that come to mind for Emmeleia are Drudkh and Cascadian black metal bands Wolves in the Throne Room and Fauna. Fauna especially has given me some of the most profound experiences I've ever had with music, and when I'm writing I try to chase that feeling. These days I’ve been listening to folk bands like Wardruna and A Tergo Lupi, ambient artists such as Monasterium Imperi, and also the soundtrack to Christopher Nolan's Odyssey by Ludwig Göransson... In metal, I’ve been listening to the great debut album by Aposticum, as well as the incredible black metal band Ershetu.


12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you for the thoughtful interview and for what you do for underground artists through your zine. To anyone reading, I hope there was something here you found interesting. Nietzsche famously wrote that "without music, life would be a mistake." Music is the measure of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment