Saturday, April 5, 2014
1. After a lot of discussions about the paths that we want to follow, Akrotheism came into existence during 2012. From the first day of it’s formation, the band started to work it’s material. Then we showed our first presence to black metal scene on last September with a split along with Order Of The Ebon Hand. Also before a few weeks we had the release of our debut album “Behold The Son Of Plagues” by Odium records.
2.Recently you have put out your first full length, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical direction of the new recording and also how does it differ from the split you had released a year ago?
2. The musical style of “Behold The Son Of Plagues” album is our effort to combine our influences from mostly the second wave of black metal with elements from bands like Deathspell Omega, Funeral Mist, Aosoth and then to set our own personal manner. As it has to do with “Generation Of Vipers” song , it was composed together with our album. Also our split was released just before a few months, so there are no big differences on musical direction.
3.You lyrics cover a good amount of satanic and occult topics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?
3. Our lyrics concern more with matters like corruption as the basic instinct of man. His essential adherence to find a sanctuary of religious paranoia that will allow him to hide his true face and the need for a god to save him for the death that he created. About our interest in dark arts, we considered it as something very personal for us and we prefer to keep it for ourselves.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Akrotheism'?
4. Akrotheism is based on two Greek root words. The first one, Akro defines the extreme, the last part of everything, the eschaton and the ultimate end as consequence of fulfilling a purpose. The term Theism derives from the belief that there is god or gods and can also describe the hope of someone to be redeemed through Theosis. The combination of these to two, allow us to express our abhorrence for the destructive fanaticism of mankind about a god that will act in turpitude to serve its passions. Furthermore our name, inspire us to set our thoughts about death and spiritual transcendence.
5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
5. As a new band there is no history behind us. We had only two shows until now. In Octomber 2013, a few days after our first release, it was the Eikons Of The Underworld-Athenian Rite festival along with Necros Christos, Necromass and Embrace Of Thorns. There were strong vibes during that night and it was a unique experience for us. Before a few days, we took part at the Bloodcult Fest VIII, in Creta (Greece), along with Ravencult, Profane Prayer and 1000Dead. Also a great experience for us. There is nothing specific about our live performance, just five beings setting on stage the darkest aspects of their subconscious.
6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the new release?
6. At this moment we do not have any touring plans. We are open to any kind of suggestions. We see a lot of good things happening especially Europe and we would feel great to take part on them.
7.A year black you released a split album with 'Order Of the Ebon Hand' do you feel this was a huge honor to be a part of the split with this legendary band?
7. Of course we feel glad and grateful to have a split with Order Of The Ebon Hand. Beside their importance to black metal, we are honoured to be good friends with them for many years. We share a lot of common ideas and so it was a great start for us.
8.The new album came out on Odium Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
8. Odium records is an emerging black metal label from Poland. It co-operates with important distributors like Plastic head, Code7 and Red Stream. The owner of the label , Shadow has a good vision about how black metal should be and so we feel glad to be on his roster.
9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
9. Until now we receive a very encouraging response to our work. There a lot of people who showed interest to our album along time before it’s releasing date. The most significant factor for us, is the positive reaction that we get from souls which we share common beliefs and thoughts.
10.Are any of the other band members involved with any other musical project these days?
10. We are only involved in Akrotheism except of our guitarist Dagwn which has also a black/death band under the name Nethescerial.
11.Where do you see the band heading into music wise during the future?
11. We are not the kind o people who make specific plans about the future. Our main purpose is to live intensely the phase of black metal by writing music and lyrics. For us black metal is the tool to understand ourselves.
12.What are some bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
12. We really admire bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum which of course are the basis for everything. Furthermore we are very excited about today’s scene and for bands like Mgla, Svartidaudi, Nightbringer, Portal and the bands that I’ve mentioned before. More generally we are listening and we are influenced by every kind of music which creates a dark and deep feeling to us. Even if it is heavy metal, neo classical, ambient or post punk.
13.What are some of your non musical interests?
13.literature and films.
14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?