1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Hails! Right now we just got off the road after doing 7 shows with Deiphago in the midwest and northeast US. We also just released our first album in 7 years "Behold the Ascension of the Execrated".
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous recordings?
I think the sound is similar to the sound we have always had, ugly and simple, just a little more raw than the previous releases. This was recorded in a basement almost entirely live so it has that organic, old-school feel to it we think.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the new release explores?
The new album is a collection of hymns to Satan and against the weakness that is christianity. Songs like Denying the Resurrection and Abhorrent Baptism in the Vestal Cavity are full out onslaughts against all that is holy. While a song like Filth upon Filth is our view of society today.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
A Manticore is a beast with the body of a lion, tail of a scorpion and the head of a man. It is the perfect combination to attack with and therefore we found it to be a fitting name for our style of blackend death metal.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
As of right now, the Boston and NYC shows on the just finished tour were some of the best with the current line-up, both crowds were completely insane which makes it easier to completely get into the music. On stage, we attack from the first song and only relent when the set is finished.
6. Do you have any touring plans for the new release?
As mentioned earlier, we just finished a small tour with Deiphago, and for now we have no plans to tour again until sometime next summer, just a few shows here and there in the meantime while we work on new material.
7. Your new album had a Venom cover, what was the decision behind doing a cover of this classic tune?
We are all huge Venom fans, they were one of the first bands I got into back in the mid 80's so they have always meant alot to me. Plus, they are the complete package; pure hard-rock, punk fueled SATANIC heavy metal!!! We thought this sound would fit in with the new material and In Nomine Satanas was chosen as the best fit.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your new album by those that have heard it so far?
So far, all the reviews we have seen seem to be good, it has only been out for a few weeks, so we will all have to wait and see what people think in the long run. But, to us, we like it, and that is all that matters!
9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I think that the style on this album and that of the 2 splits released in the last year are where we are as a band. A mixture of blasting insanity and thick heavy riffs. This is a natural extension of what we have always done, so it will always be in this vein.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
The same stuff that we have always listened to; Venom, Archgoat, Hellhammer, Motorhead, the classick stuff i grew up with. I've been listening to alot of those still, plus Possessed, Prosanctus Inferi, Witch King is really killer, Satanik Goat Ritual, alot of raw filthy music.
11. How would you describe your views on Satanism and Occultism?
My views are a mesh of many views, I feel Crowley has it right most of the time, in Do What Thou Will, I will say that I think religious views are best left to the individual, as otherwise it sounds preachy, or like you are trying to start a jim jones style cult. I need no one to lead me, or to feel they are above me in some level, they aren't.
12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Other than music, i do little, besides the typical day to day human existence, the only things i enjoy outside of creating blasphemy, are my heathens, who will one day follow in my footsteps!
13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
We want to thank you for your support and for helping to spread the filth that is Manticore! Hails!