Monday, July 6, 2015

Old Graves Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

That's a big question, and kind of hard to answer. I'll just be blunt and say that Old Graves is me trying to shed the distractions of a "full band" and make music as free and purely as I possibly can.


2.So far you have released 2 ep's and have also been a part of a split, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on those recordings?

I don't really strive for a particular sound, but I've always liked more melodic music and that definitely shines through in my recordings. I like to think that the music is colored by an equal amount of everything I listen to. I do listen to a lot of black metal.



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

In the past, a lot of the lyrics have been based on whatever sets off an emotional response with me. A lot of it has been depictions of nature, exploring sadness and anxiety, dying and rotting, that sort of stuff. A few songs have been more story-like, dwelling on memories or ficticious situations. I'm going in a more instrumental direction for the future though, so I'm not sure how big a role lyrics will play.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Old Graves'?

No deep meaning, really. It was inspired by the way I've always liked visiting graveyards and finding the oldest graves.



5.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?

I'm definitely open to collaborating on a temporary kind of basis. I can't see anyone else ever being a permanent writing member, but I'd love to have other musicians (particularily vocalists) feature on some songs.



6.A year ago you where also a part of a split with 'Paths', what are your thoughts on this solo project that was a part of the recording?

Paths is awesome, I think I messaged Michael about a split the first night I listened to it. Super trancy, phychadelic sound. There's something about Victoria that seems to breed great bands, it's weird.



7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal?

Pretty positive, I think. There's been some good healthy criticism here and there, which is good, but yeah generally positive.


8.Are you also involved with any other musical projects?

Yup, I play guitar in a hardcore band called Dead Hand. We take a lot of influence from old-school death metal, it might appeal to some metal fans. We're actually setting out on a short Canadian tour in a couple of weeks now.


9.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

I've been working on a full length for a little while now. A couple of songs are getting close to done, but I definitely don't want to rush it. This coming Winter, maybe. As for my direction as a musician, who knows. As it stands, I still
like the same dark, brooding, cold shit that I've always been into. As I said earlier though, less vocals.



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Another big question, hahah. I really dig the good old "classic" black metal, as well as more contemporary depressive/atmospheric stuff. I'm just a sucker for metal in general, I'm listening to Entombed (a favorite) as I write this.


11.What are some of your non musical interests?

I'm trying to save up for another round of University, so I've been working a lot- not leaving a ton of spare time for much other than music and getting to the woods whenever I can. I'm just getting into making knives, got a shipment of steel on the way as we speak.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the interview, death to nazi metal.

Bandcamp
Facebook
SoundCloud
Spotify
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment