Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Feanor Omega Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before can you tell us a little bit about your solo project?
First: Thank you very much for the Interview!
FEANOR OMEGA is a solo project from Austria, the first album (ANIMA) consists of songs which have accompanied me for many years. That's how it all started - I always loved to write and record songs for my other projects - at one point I wrote the 'title track' for the album (Epos: Anima) and immediately knew - I had to record an album.

2.Your album came out in May, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
I would describe the sound as 'hard to describe' - but foremost as 'honest'.  The album is self-recorded, therefore the sound represents my very own ability and that's the way I like it for a solo-project.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
I'd say that music has always been my most fluent language - therefore the album simply states what I am not able to put into words.

Without planning, the album has actually evolved into a concept-album. In my opinion the songs can as well stand for their own, but I think the album has its best effect when the listener goes on the journey to listen to it as a whole. In this regard the album is very similar to life. One song might punch you to the ground where the next song might help you up, only that the following track can hit you again ;-)

4.You use the name 'Feanor Omega' for the solo project and also other bands that you are a part off, is there a particular meaning for this name?
I think the addressed fact might lead to confusion! 'Feanor Omega' is simply my personal synonym as a musician, that is also the reason the solo project is called 'Feanor Omega'.
I used 'Omega' for a very long time but decided to add 'Feanor' in 2010 or 2011. Feanor derived from J.R.R. Tolkien's character 'Fëanor' (THE SILMARILLION), one of the most polarising and infamous characters and a personality who's story and destiny have always fascinated me.

5.While there were other musicians involved you did record a lot of the material by yourself, how would you compare working solo to being in a whole band?
I think that it differs completely. Recording solo does give you the agency of doing exactly what you want to do (...or at least like you're able to do it), where a whole band works (or should work) as a team. I like both and I would never want to miss any of it.
Still, I tend to turn solo-recording sessions into small personal rituals. I see them as recreation as well as self-therapy. Furthermore, the recording sessions with my valued guests have been very unique, productive and satisfying.

6.On the album you had a few guests, can you tell us a little bit more about them and their contributions to the recording?
Sure! ANIMA features 4 guest appearances.
All bass tracks were played by MIKE HELL. We composed and recorded the bass tracks together in some extremely productive sessions. I once stated that it seems that no one of us is able to have any kind of project where the other one is not involved. This still proofs to be correct. Mike also swings his bass at DISASTROUS MURMUR and GROTESKH who I manage with CURSED RECORDS as well as SAKRILEG and TONGUELESS CUNTKILLER, where we hit the stage together.

THOMAS contributed deep growls to the song RISEN. He is the man behind TONGUELESS CUNTKILLER, where Mike and I also play. It's not a black metal project, but a collective group of friends enjoying extreme music.

RICH who wrote and played the solo on RISEN was also passively involved in the project. He is a passionate sound engineer and had the tough job of mixing and mastering the whole album. Furthermore, we collaborate at many of my venues (EINE IN TEICH FESTIVAL or WINTERSCHLACHT) and he also plays guitar at the Austrian progressive metal band THYTOPIA.

MORBID FLORIST, who added the female vocals to the chorus of EPOS: ANIMA, is my sister. She also played in SAKRILEG and has an incredible talent for music of all sorts in my opinion.

7.When this is considered a solo project you had a whole band listed on facebook, is that done for more of a live setting?
I think we have a misunderstanding here. The whole band listed simply states all the guest appearances and their roles in the album. There are no live-gigs planned for 'Feanor Omega' at the moment, even though I don't exclude that thought and also have various ideas when the time comes.

8.You also run Cursed Records, can you tell us a little bit more about the bands that you promote on this label?
The principles of CURSED RECORDS have stayed very much the same since the beginning in 2011: support underground music. We are not specified on a specific genre - we promote honesty and passion.
We recently signed the insane GROTESKH - their second album "CODE: END" was released shortly after ANIMA.

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your musical projects by fans of black metal?
That's a good question and in my opinion hard to answer.
I think the feedback is polarising. Some like it, some don't and many have probably never heard of it - which is fine too ;-)  maybe they will at some point!

10.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part off?
NEBELFRONT released their second album "ONLY IN MY DREAMS" earlier this year. I had the honour to contribute some guitars and backing vocals to  the release. Furthermore, I am the live-singer of the project.
It has been very silent around my main (and first) project SAKRILEG in the last year, but since the completion of ANIMA we've been working on new material again and will also resume to play live. The first show will be in the end of August in Upper Austria (Headbanger's Desaster).  Let's just say, there will be some sick shit coming up! 

11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
I hope I can continue to do what I love for as long as possible. This statement counts for the active side as well as the passive side. I love to record music and to tour around the globe with bands, but I also love the passive aspects like managing bands,  organizing concerts and of course CURSED RECORDS as a whole.

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I can honestly state that the people that I worked and played with have influenced me the most. I think nothing's more valuable for musicians than jamming among familiar faces.
Regarding the question what I listen to today: music.
I never turned away from my roots, black metal, but the older I get the less I care for genres. In my opinion music has to reach and touch the deepest parts of your soul. If it manages to do so, I don't care as what it might be labeled.

13.What are some of your non musical interests?
I love travelling even though most of my travel activity occurred BECAUSE of music. One more reason why I love what I do. I like to gather different influences, wherever I go.

14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you very much for the interview and for your support!
Your review was the first review the album ANIMA received - thank you for that as well!
Final words.. support underground music!
People, go to concerts, buy albums and merchandise from bands you like!
 Support your local scenes!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Google+
Last.fm
ReverbNation
SoundCloud
Twitter
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment