Saturday, July 11, 2015

Y Interview


1)

ZINE: For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Y: Y is a project aiming at the exploration of the dark side of man through music. However, I'm not merely interested in a reference to the dark aspect but also in the search of ways to overcome it.

2)

ZINE: In June you had released an album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

Y: Musically, I would place my self within the boundaries of dark ambient and black metal. However, since these two genres have been extensively exploited by musicians with whose aesthetics and ideology I disagree, i would prefer to characterize my music as ''black ritual''.

3)

ZINE: The album is a concept recording based on Aggrippa's De Occulta Philosophia, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in his works and also what are some of the other occultists that you look up to?

Y: There are certainly references to Aggrippa's significant work,  ''De Occulta Philosophia'' but not only to that. Yet, this particular title proved extremely useful since it so accurately describes the main themes of the current  album as well as those of future albums. In this respect, I am seriously considering giving  all Y albums which will follow the same title. I am aware that this might prove confusing and I am also aware of the fact that other bands have also used the particular tittle in the past. Nevertheless, I believe this is positive. Dealing with something not easily accessible and perhaps difficult to be perceived or comprehended by the majority is not daunting; on the contrary, it is rather fair and anticipated. Regarding others who have influenced my work and whose works I admire, it would be fair to say that they are numerous and I wouldn't wish to overlook any of them so I would rather not start referring to them. What I would like to do though is recommend a book to those who are just starting their quest for truth. The book is entitled “An Adventure Among the Rosicrucians: A student of Occultism” by Franz Hartmann.

4)

ZINE: I know that the project name 'Y' is also known as the number of Pythagoras, can you tell us a little but about your interest in this mystic?

Y: Ι am greatly interested in Philosophy and Pythagoras is one of the most significant , ancient greek philosophers who, in his turn, affected other very important philosophers, such as Plato and Aristotle. Pythagoras used Y as a symbol in order to explain that stage in man's life when he/she is forced to face a crossroads. What lies ahead are two paths. That of virtue which is beset with obstacles but leads to glory and that of passivity which is easy but leads to failure.

5)

ZINE: With this musical project, you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?

Y: Up to now, I have only collaborated with the one woman band from Greece APOTOME as Y. We have written a song  together,which will probably appear in one of her future releases. I am open to possible collaborations thus, even though Y is actually a personal journey for the time being.

6)

ZINE: Currently you are unsigned,are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

Y: Some underground companies have expressed an interest in Y, yet an actual release is not my priority at the moment.

7)

ZINE: On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal and other forms of occult music?

Y: Many people embraced Y as if they had been expecting it for ages. Naturally, it can't be to everyone's liking. It is , after all, a ''difficult'' work, far from what the majority are accustomed to listen to.

8)


ZINE: Are you also involved with any other musical projects these days?

Y: The only project i had been working on  from 1999 to  2012 which is called This Is Past, ended music-wise but I continue working as an artist with the same name. I am currently a member of a music collective named AAZZAAZZORG ( aazzaazz.org ) and I participate in all its music projects.

9)

ZINE: Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?

Y: I intend to record an album exploring melancholy in depth in the near future.

10)

ZINE: What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

 Y: I listen to various, different kinds of music but I do not allow everything affect my work as far as it concerns Y since what I do is very specific. I've been listening to lo-fi black metal recently and I usually select bands which belonged to “Les Légions Noires” ( Black Legions ) or new bands that evoke a similar atmosphere.

11)

ZINE: What are some of your non musical interests?
Y: I do love art in general and I am particularly keen on painting. I actually occupy myself with drawing a lot.

12)

ZINE: Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Y: I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to talk about Y. I hope you continue to support new bands in the future, giving them the opportunity to present what they do as well.

https://aazzaazzorg.bandcamp.com/album/de-occulta-philosophia

No comments:

Post a Comment