Thursday, November 7, 2013

Aberration Nexus Interview


1. For those that have never heard of you before can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Well, Aberration Nexus was created by myself out of an inherent need to create music. I have played the guitar for as long as i can remember, and have been in a few bands over the years and really missed the whole thing. I don't really have time anymore to do the band thing with a young family, so I thought I'd go it alone. Basically as a solo project - I can write at my leisure as well as do all the other tasks involved. It really just started out as me just writing some riffs and stringing them into songs. But it wasn't to be just a straight up 2 guitars, bass, vocals and drums thing. And it wasn't just to be a "couple of songs". The more I listened to what I'd written, the more I heard in it. Thus the orchestral side of it came in. It's taken on a life of its own and has evolved into it's own state of being and is far beyond anything I imagined when it began.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
That's a tough one. Symphonic Black Metal would seem to be the pigeon hole most fitting. But there are a lot of death metal elements to it as well. So it's not really black metal per se. Above all, I intend for this music to be as dark, nightmarish and aggressive as possible - but with some kind of diversity as well.
I listen to a vast array of music from classical to metal. All of my influences tend to get featured throughout the music I make.

3. Your lyrics cover a lot of anti christian themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your anti christian views and also do you have any interest in Satanism and Occultism?
I have no interest in any of these. I suppose it's a cliché of the genre, but I tend to pick on the xtian faith because of my geographical location and links to history due to the same - as well as some more personal experiences therewith. That being said, I also mock other organised religions when faced with a disastrous and godless end (god and ashes)!
My lyrics tend towards anti life, misanthropic hatred and apocalyptic endings - from self to universal - psychological and philosophical.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Abberation Nexus?
The "Aberration Nexus" is the point of no return. The point where everything changes and not necessarily for the best. Like when the nukes are launched or when a solar flare takes out all electronic devices and communications etc and throws humanity back into the stone age. There are many ways for this to happen and that is the main inspiration behind my music. The album (yet to be released) deals with this concept.

5. Currently there is only one member in this band but you have also used guest musicians on the ep, are there any plans on forming a full line in the future?
No. Not at this point in time. Maybe one day in the future I will turn this into a full fledged band!?
It was a great experience working with Matt and Haniel on the ep, both are very talented musicians!
I may enlist the assistance of others again in time?

6. Currently you are unsigned are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
I'm not actively seeking a label, but it would be nice to have the support thereof. It's been very difficult but immensely rewarding doing this all by myself.
The e.p has been released as a limited edition through No Remorse Records from Gibraltar - that's also been a bonus!

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
The feedback thus far has been great! I'm really happy with the support I've been getting - which has not been limited to black metal circles. It has an appeal that cuts across genres & has also worked it's way around the globe! I am extremely lucky and proud to have a very dedicated core of supporters, my music is nothing without them!

8. Are there any other musical projects going on these days?
I'm working on some drum tracks for one of my friends and planning on doing some vocals for another but I'm not directly involved with any other projects or bands.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Well, as I said earlier. The music will become more dark and aggressive - that much is certain! The symphonic elements will become more intricate as I continue to hone my craft. There will always be an element of insanity as well, I love poly rhythms and odd time signatures as much as they drive me nuts writing them!

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Death, Opeth, Dodheimsgard,Cynic, old Ulver, Darkthrone, Morbid Angel, Ved Buens Ende, Deicide and Mayhem would be my main influences and reasons for making the music that I do. But there are a great many others that do and have.
Music I've been listening to lately are mostly underground bands - Xeper, Demonplague, Markradonn, Achral Necrosis, Soulbrand, Aquilus as well as The Dark and The Bleak are some bands that have really captured my attention recently. I've also been digging Fleshgod Apocalypse and Alcest lately.

11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Other than my family. Nothing.

12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thank you very much for the interview and to my friends and fans a huge thanks! I'll hopefully have the full length album finished up and released by mid next year and maybe a surprise or two before then. Thanks for your support and keep an eye on the Facebook page for updates.
Hails!

No comments:

Post a Comment