Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Dhul-Qarnayn Interview


1. Can you give us a brief history of the band?

Dhul-Qarnayn was formed in the early year 2006 in Bahrain, the band ventured through many members, but eventually lead up to just myself behind all disharmonic progressions.

2. How would you describe your sound to someone who has never heard you before?

A subliminal violation of sentiment and sanity.

3. What is the meaning behind the band's name?

It means "he of the two horns" or "he of the two centuries" it was given to a character in the Quran. But I saw no relevance to what was falsely misplaced, instead it had more sense in it being crowned to Satan. After all, who's influence do you see more comprehensive in reality? One way or the other, they all foolishly contradict what they tried so hard to banish. But then again illusion and dellusion dont run in the same current as logic.

4. What is it like being a black metaler in a Muslim country?

Well this kind of art is certainly not accepted here, I doubt any for that matter. I have many enemies most I haven't had the pleasure of encountering as of yet. There have been many posts in the news and other false information by the media about political and cult activists with no valid motive other than the genuine. The main message they want to convey is fear and conspiracy, so others would do their dirty work for them, which would then most likely lead to corporal punishment approved by the overlords.

5. How would you describe your musical progress over the years?

Due to the lack of equipment, it has been quite a challenge. It wasn't such a walk in the breeze to get most of the tools I have now, despite starting at the early age of 14 when I was involved in another solo project called Qeyamah. At the time I wrote and recorded a demo entitled "Visions of a Flase Prophet"with both English and Arabic titles and lyrics. I only had a mere 10 Watt amp, a simple drummachine, 4-track mixer, and a distorted microphone, and self-released it here amongst people I was associated with in the past. Needless to say things have changed since then, and I'm currently experimenting with unorthodox traditions, instruments and structures to get the obliterating projection I'm going for.

6. What releases have you put out so far?

In early 2008 I recorded a demo entitled "Shirk" which means "Heathanism" in English, later I produced a single I regret (musically) but I've given up on using samples or any kind of loop for that matter, I have great plans for the next. Other than that, with the help of two other bands from my area we've managed to release the first blasphemous split album entitled "Narcotized" with bands from here with Arabic and English languages used. And recently I've self-released "Det Bur Ulv" A tribute to Burzum EP, which means "There Lives a Wolf" containing four tracks, and one original composed track with lyrics in Norwegian. As for the near future.. You'll just have to wait and witness.

7. What are your main influences music wise or non music wise?

My musical influences range from Black Metal to even 18th century classical music, I feel the same atmosphere of empty skies when I listen to Franz Liszt's "Grey Clouds" piecing the portrait of mankinds eradication through Judas Iscariot's "The Cold Earth Slept Below".Non-musically I am inspired by nature, dreams, psychology, reality, literature, philosophy and the list goes on and on.

8. What are you listening to nowadays and what are some good bands or releases that you would recommend?

Lately I've been really into Iranian Black Metal, but some albums I'd recommend in an unfashionably manner is:

1- Emerna - Mortem Animalium

2- Aras - Depressive Rebellion

3- Melechesh - As Jeruslaem Burns... Al'Intisar

4- Al Namrood - Atbaa' Al Namrood

5- Xasthur - The Funeral of Being

6- Demonic Christ - Punishment for Ignorance

7- Mayhem - Deathcrush

8- Drowning the Light - A World Long Dead

9- Bathory - Destroyer of Worlds1

0- Moonblood - Blut und Krieg

11- Stallagh - Nihilistik Terror

9. What role does Left Hand Path and Satanism play in the music and life?

I'd rather not refer to my spiritual belief as a limb of some sort, but to answer your question; Most use Satan as a symbol of rebellion, only a few actually practice the black arts. I myself am a theistic Satanist, yet unconventional. Satan is the entity of life and freedom, and He has been ruling this earth since the dawn of Eden, whereas God is a merely a defense mechanism gone wrong.

10. What are some good books or films that you would recommend?

To name a few books: 1- Deception Point, 2- The New Warlord, 3- Paradise Lost, 4- Vargsmal, 5- The Magus, 6- Memnoch the Vampire, 7- Shams Al Ma'ref, 8- Al Jilwah, 9- The Book of the Dead, 10- The Confessions of Aleister Crowley, 11- Avesta, 12- The Battle of the Somme

Films:1- Alucarda, 2- The Illusionist, 3- Saw I-II-III, 5- The Fountain, 6- American Psycho, 7- Nosferatu, 8- Begotten, 9- The Omen, 10- From Hell, 11- Fight Club, 12- There Will Be Blood, 13- Gangs of New York, 14- American History X

11. How would you describe the metal scene in your home country of Bahrain?

There are some great artists, but most are just a sham

12. any last words?

thanks for the interview?Die as if you will live tomorrow. Thank you for the interview.

ReverbNation

No comments:

Post a Comment