1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
We formed in 2009 as an unholy trinity. All of us tired of today's neo metal crap, and hungry for some old school filth. Evil was born 24:th of july when we had our first gathering as a band. We are three old bastards with history in various bands, still hungering for more.
2. What is the meaning behind the band's name?
The name means pale/gloomy. A fucking perfect name for the band and suitable to the music, lyrics, our minds and our appearances.
3. How would you describe your musical sound?
We sound like it did back in the 80´s. No keyboards or effects of any kind. Just a pounding bass and a single guitar, giving it that obscure raw sound that we want. Sometimes less is more.
4. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?
Hate, aggression and worshiping. I write all lyrics and get the inspiration from my antichristian beliefs and from the mighty cold north and the evil and chaos that dwells therein.
5. Have you had any opportunities to do any shows, if so what are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
No unfortunately we have not been able to perform live yet. This is of course something that we´ll see too that it will happen. Just like our music, the stage performance will be simple and filthy. A chaotic show drenched in goat blood.
6. How has your music been received so far by black metal fans worldwide?
Rather fucking good I must say. People seem to be sick of today's modern tunes and enjoy our old sound. Mostly great response in reviews too I think. Of course there´s been one or two that pissed in our faces. But overall a decent reception and a few (female reviewers for some reason) that has truly understood what we´re about.
7. What direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?
We won´t change course or direction in any way what so ever! The venomous flame of old school simplicity will burn forever more
8. Are there any current side projects besides this band, if so who are they and what kind of music do they play.
Aganaroth have his solo projects Sapfhier (black metal), Angellust (death metal) and Inside Scars (doom/dark).
Isengrim have his solo projects Fornborg (black metal), Misery MMIX (ambient) and the totally fucked up project The TrueBadours (acoustic tedium)
I´m involved in The TrueBadours as well. I also write lyrics for several bands.
9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and what are you listening to nowadays?
There´s no big surprise I guess that we got influences from bands such as Bathory and Venom. We still listen a lot on these old heros, but obviously to other bands and other music styles too. My personal favourites of today are bands like Dissection, Mayhem, Deathspell Omega, Watain, to mention a few.
10. What role does Satanism and Occultism play in the music?
Satan lives within us all. I detest Christianity, and the hate and aggression I possess is well used in Wan.
11. What are some of your interests outside of music?
I find most kinds of art interesting. Paintings, photos, tattoos... And an occasional fishing trip is appreciated.
12. Any final words or thoughts?
Actually, I´m thinking that my hangover is treating me rather unfair today. We were supposed to record some crap with a different band yesterday but the equipment failed and the beer took the upper hand.
Thanks for the interview, and to you out there who not yet have discovered Wan I suggest you look us up and get your mind raped.
Enjoy the filth!