1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
I am currently busy doing the last works on the artwork and band photos. And of course we are happy that „monument in black“ will finally be released.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous releases?
Every album represents a snapshot of the time when the songs were written. So this fact alone always leads to some differences. I can't and won't say that "monument in black" is better or worse than our debut album "raw dark pure" Both stand for themselves. In my eyes the songwriting for "monument in black" was more natural since we wrote most of the songs together in the rehearsal room and not everyone for himself at home.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the new release explores?
Many of the lyrics were written by the former Dark Fortress vocalist Azathoth. His lyrics deal a lot with hatred, death, despair, fears. Mine deal with freedom of mind and personal revolution of the individual.
These catchwords may not sound thrilling but I think the lyrics have a lot to offer when you really get into them.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
We chose the name since we wanted to combine old-school elements with modern elements just like the style of music we wanted to play. "Sonic“ has a modern sound, while "reign" sounds more old-school. It's that simple.
5. There has been a 7 year gap between the last album what was going on during those years?
The recordings for "monument in black" were finished already autumn 2011 so the gap was not THAT big. Since then we were looking for a label to release it. The years until 2011 brought many changes. E.g. I moved some hundred kilometers away from our studio so it was not possible to rehearse that much. And then we are lazy bastards you must know.
6. Has the band been able to play out live or is this a studio project?
We just record albums and never played live so far. I think we will stick to that. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to keep our dramatic speed in recording albums.
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
We are a pretty unknown band so there's no worldwide level. But the feedback we received so far was mostly very good.
8. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Azathoth will join the band in the next release. It is a one-release-experiment we want to do to get some new inspiration. You know sometimes the motivation to do music needs to be refreshed. We'll see what kind of music we'll do to fit his new lyrics. Yet no new music is done.
9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
When we started we wanted to do music like Satyricon (specially "rebel extravaganza“) or Emperor. Behemoth is another band I really love. Besides that I listen to a shitload of music of various styles. Turbonegro, Enslaved, Kvelertak, The Vision Bleak, Megadeth, Pink Floyd, Wolfmother, Stellar Master Elite and so on and so on...
10. Does Occultism play any role in your music?
Nah, not really. Maybe in a few parts of the lyrics. But this does not happen intentionally.
11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I love to go hiking, and to travel with my old VW-bus and to barbecue and get drunk.
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
I thank you for your support. Check us out here http://www.facebook.com/sonicreign