Sunday, February 9, 2020

Verminking Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?





Verminking was a Depressive black metal solo project from France which evolved towards rock and some atmospherics influences.





2.How would you describe the progress of your musical style from the first to current release?





The main goal of Verminking was Depressive black metal, but over the time I got a bit away from black metal and started to experiment.

if i would name the style of Verminking it would be Black depressive rock.





3.Since 2018 you have released a good amount of music, do you spend a great amount of time writing and creating music?





I always had fun and I never regretted what I did, even if I didn't really take the time to record properly so stuffs from 2018’s era are not really "clean" . but as we say "we learn with our mistakes"





4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with your music?





Personal experiences and issues, Self-Hatred, Loneliness and Melancholy.





5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Verminking'?





Verminking can be interpreted in two different ways, "King of the vermin" but the initial name mean "Mutilation" in dutch, I choose dutch because my whole family are immigrants from Netherlands.





6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that was presented on the last release?





If you talk about the one from the single " ... " it was a photo I had taken very early in the morning from my street where I live, we see a hill lit by dwellings.

Really beautiful view.





7.The band started out as a solo project, what was the decision behind expanding into a full line up?





All Verminking releases except "Dekadenz" and "Utopian Perception" were recorded with a drum machine, and I was searching for a drummer for a very long time.

My very good friend Nick from russia were supporting Verminking, I told him if he was interested to do some vocals speech/Spoken words in Russian, i thought it would be very interesting to mix Russian speaking with some slow melancholic clear melody, and then he accepted.

and for the drummer Johan, we started talking together on instagram, he was interested to hear about my project (Verminking) he told me that if i was searching about a drummer or something he was interested, and the fact that he had a lot of experience (Played drums for Kall, (the band from the ashes of Lifelover),Mystruin) really excited me.

and yes that's how it worked.





8.The band members live in France, Sweden and Russia, how does this work out in the recording process?





I was in charge of writing the songs,I recorded (I still record like this) everything at home with my computer and a sound card through my computer. And then we shared the files via Dropbox and they were doing the same as me.

we never met each others.





9.Are there any plans to do any live shows with the band line up?





With the band lineup i don’t know but yes it is, in a while but it’s planned, i have a lot of contacts and friends in France that i can count on their help.





10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of atmospheric, depressive and post black metal?



I have always had positive feedback, even if there were very few.





11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?



I can’t really answer to that question, but the thing I can tell you is that I will never stop to experiment.





12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?





In 2018 i would say Sombres forêts or Xasthur. But nowadays I would say Lifelover and Apati, and Envy is also a big influence for me.



I listen to a lot of genres of music, I can switch to Harsh noise to Bluegrass.

but nowadays the styles i listen the most would be Coldwave, Post-punk, Rock, Rap, Experimental, Ambient, Shoegaze, Psytrance, Traditional music and many others.

The band i listen the most in black metal music is Woods of infinity. 





13.What are some of your non musical interests?





I love to read poem, to learn languages, Mysticism, psychology and play to Fallout game series haha.





14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?





Thank you for this interview.



Save the planet, kill yourself.

https://verminking.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment