Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Lightlorn Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?


Since recording the EP and the release of the first single, we’ve just been focusing on promoting the band. As a brand-new band, we didn’t have any kind of fan base. So we’ve been trying to get our music out there to build up a small following.

 

2.Recently you have released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


I think the style can best be described as post-black metal. While it has elements of black metal and atmospheric black metal, it deviates quite far from the traditional bands. It also has elements of post-rock and shoegaze, and Islander of No Clean Singing mentioned in one his reviews that he heard a bit of synthwave and new wave in the songs. That certainly wasn’t intentional! I enjoy music that has the ability to surprise the listener, and I think these songs do that. I basically just write the kind of songs I want to listen to myself.

 

3.A lot of your lyrics cover cosmic and existential themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?


Well, to make a very long story somewhat short, I discovered different philosophers in my teens, but ultimately gravitated towards Nietzsche. I came to point where I felt that the abstract questions relating to the meaning of existence, why we’re here, etc. had concrete answers: there is no point, there is no meaning except that which we devise ourselves. So I stopped looking inwards and started looking outwards at the vast universe in which we live. That’s when my love for astronomy took hold. I felt that science could better answer the really interesting questions more than philosophy ever could. So the lyrics reflect humanity’s struggle with loneliness and solitude, not just in our own hearts and minds, but collectively as a species in a seemingly empty universe.


 

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Lightlorn'?


This is one of those situations where I thought I actually coined the word, but as with everything else in the world, I wasn’t the first. My idea was to take the suffix ‘-lorn’ which is an old English term meaning “loss” or “bereft”, as in the words “forlorn” and “lovelorn”, and combine it with “light”. So it essentially means being without light or bereft of light.

 

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


The artwork is actually AI art. I created dozens of designs before settling on this one. I used prompts that encapsulated the feeling behind the songs and lyrics to generate the image. I really like it! I think it perfectly captures the sense of longing and emptiness you would feel standing alone on a planet that isn’t Earth.

 

6.Currently there are only 2 members in the ban, are you open to expanding the line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?


When it comes to the songwriting, I think the setup we have works really well. But, of course, you can’t play live with just two guys, so getting a few more members would be great, even if it’s just for shows.

 

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


We are definitely looking for a label. But it has to be the right one. We had some interest from a few labels prior to the release of the EP, but none of them seemed like a good fit. We were extremely close to signing a contract with a label here in Sweden, but at the last moment we decided it wasn’t right for us. We will continue looking for a label that meets our expectations, hopefully for the next release.

 

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


Better than I expected to be honest! Since the style is very different to typical Nordic black metal, I thought we’d encounter a lot more resistance. But it seems that we have listeners all over the world, even in countries you’d least expect. I know our music isn’t for everyone, and I know that some folks will never accept that black metal can be progressive, but that’s okay. We play the music we enjoy. There’s not that much more to it than that.

 

9.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


We have 4-5 songs in various stages of development. I think it’ll probably be at least 6 months or so until we start recording. But the goal is to release the full length towards the end of next year. As for the musical direction, I think it’ll be very similar to the EP. I don’t foresee any major changes in the near future.

 

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


We both have quite an eclectic taste in music. Everything from traditional black metal and death metal to thrash and punk. While Riaan’s drumming is mostly influenced by the Nordic bands, the guitar melodies and hooks have a wide range of influences. One of my favourite bands is a German band called Pyogenesis. They’ve played several different styles over the years, but they’ve got some killer riffs, hooks and melodies. Other bands that have influenced us include old Nordic bands like Emperor, Satyricon, Arcturus and Borknagar to newer post-black bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Harakiri for the Sky, and Alcest.

 

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


I guess we’d just like to thank everyone who has supported us so far; all the people who have helped promote the EP, all the sites that have given us such great reviews, and, of course, all the people who have listened to, downloaded, and purchased the EP! 


Bandcamp: https://lightlorn.bandcamp.com/

Spotify: https://sptfy.com/LU3c

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lightlorn.band/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lightlorn

Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/us/artist/lightlorn/1638704076

No comments:

Post a Comment