Thursday, November 24, 2022

Malist Interview

 


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the solo project since the recording and release of the new album?




The cassette tape release of the new album got slightly delayed, so there are still orders for me to pack up and ship. In the meantime I'm writing new music, but I'm not sure if it's going to be for Malist, or some other project.


 


2.Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?




It features more straightforward composition, both structurally and instrumental-wise. Most songs only have one rhythm guitar to bring both melodies and rhythms. I used a similar approach on the first album, but the mood was slightly different. This time it's darker and closer to the classic brooding atmosphere of second wave black metal.


 


3.You also have experience playing doom/death metal in your other project, how would you compare the black metal style of 'Malist' to the other musical style that you play?




I have way less experience playing doom/death metal than black metal, so I'm actually still learning. There are, of course, similar melodic patterns here and there, but the fact that the doom metal is much slower gives it a totally new vibe, I think.


 


4.So far you have managed to get an album out each year, do you dedicate a lot of your time to writing and creating music?


 


Depends on how you look at it. I'm never forcing myself to write music. I can go months without writing a single note, and then spend a week composing 6+ hours a day - just because I feel inspired to do so. Same goes for recording, but I usually try to record quality raw tracks as fast as possible.




5.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the new release and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?




Songwriting, as in writing lyrics, has always been the toughest part for me. The process of finding a topic to write about always takes ages. But with the new album it was not that bad. Life just handed me most of the themes on the plate. War and rebellion, loss of loved ones, nature taking its toll. It all happened to me in the span of a single year.


 


6.I know that the bands name means 'someone who believes evil will dominate this world', how does this name fit on with the musical style that you play?


 


I believe it's mostly featured in my lyrical themes, as I obviously broadcast my life views on paper, in one form or another. As for the music - well you can hear for yourself, it's certainly no surf rock.




7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


 


The artwork was done by Artem Demura, the guy who already created great artwork for the first 2 albums. It was developed from a ready drawing of his, where he depicted the back view of Death, with some desolate landscape at the background (you can actually see the original picture used in the CD and tape designs). This drawing was reworked as per my specifications, and I really like the result. As per the message behind it - I leave it for the listeners to interpret themselves.




8.With this project you record everything by yourself but also have experience working with another musician in your other project, do you prefer working alone on your releases?




It's not that bad to work together, as long as your beliefs match in what makes certain music great. But I've always preferred writing music myself - that way I can convey feelings and tastes that are 100% mine. As for the recording, the opposite is true - I would gladly outsource all of the recordings to someone else, because I find it rather monotonous and exhausting. But well, I do whatever I can to reduce the bill on an album.


 


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?




The reaction has been better that I could ask for. Of course, there is always some critique, but I try to listen to it with open mind and see what I can do to improve my music.


 


10.What is going on with Bewailer' these days?




The project is still in slumber, but it recently opened an eye half-way. I felt like writing a song for it myself, so I did, showed it to my bandmate and he liked it. We decided to continue writing music for Bewailer after a long hiatus. But in truth, it is still early for announcing a comeback. We will see how it goes.


 


11.Where do you see yourself heading into as  a musician during the future?


 


I certainly want to learn how to play several more instruments, mainly piano and cello, at least on a basic level. And I certainly want to become a better clean singer. These skills would allow me to not only broaden the horizons of songwriting, but try out some completetly different genres in the future. At least that's a long-term plan.




12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that you are currently listening to nowadays?




I'm not a strictly black metal listener. I listen to a lot of synthwave, electronic rock, alternative, death metal, etc. If you would like to know the general direction of music that inspires me, check out my public playlist called "Malist - inspiration" on Spotify.




13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment