Sunday, November 6, 2022

Orphique Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Orphique is a personal black metal project I've been working on for a couple years now, with the help of close friends of mine to play the composition (and to enhance it with their insights, obviously).



2.You have a new album coming out later this month, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

I like to label it as a ''melancholic black metal'' album. The main part of the album is the lyrics, I do not call myself a music writter at all. Always been into writing a lot, mostly poetry, so I just wrote something to fit the lyrics.



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?

Consecration cadavérique is part of the healing process of my teared apart soul. So all the lyrics on the album are centered around this ''love/depression/anxiety'' situation I was in at the moment, using figures of speech to not make it so obvious, yet more talkative. 



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Orphique'?

Orphism is a religious belief that is really close to Buddhism. The core of Orphism is that the soul is doomed to a eternal reincarnation cycle and there is only one thing that can stop that cycle, and that thing is initiative. Then, the reincarnation cycle stops and the soul can finally achieve the divine state. Which is what I have done with this project. I have been dreaming of having my personal music project since I am 14 years old, but I never had the guts to pratice an instrument or learn musical theory, I always strictly sticked to poetry, singing and writing. So this idea of having a personal music project seemed impossible. But after hitting the rock bottom emotionnaly, I bought musical theory books, I picked up an old guitar and a kids keyboard I used to have when I was a kid and I materialized my thoughts into music. 



5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

The artwork was made by the very talented Mitchell Nolte (mitchellnolte.com). I wanted the artwork to be inspired by two beautiful painting I love : a scenery like ''The Triumph of Death'' by Pieter Bruegel and the majestic visual of ''The Triumph of Death'' by Otto Dix. In the artwork of Consécration cadavérique, Death holds two things, a scythe which symbolize its power, and a fiery torch which symbolize conquest and victory. 



6.So far very little is known about the band, are you planning on expanding your presence in the future or do you prefer to keep a lower profile?

I started the project not just as a musical project, but also as a platform to share my poetry. I will keep this project active for my lifetime to share what I have to share artistically, so yes I will expand my presence in some sort, but the listeners/readers will kind of decide if it will stay low profile or not. I just launched my facebook page (which is where most of the stuff will be shared). So I will have a stronger presence for months to come because I have stacked up years and years of stuff to share. 



7.The band is scheduled to play this years 'Messe des Morts Festival', what can we expect from your live performance?

It will be raw and honest. We are going as a quintet, no keyboards even if they play a big role in the atmosphere of the recorded album. I will share the stage with close friends of mine, which you can also see in the following bands : Existe, Sacrificed Alliance and Nälzer. 



8.The album is going to be released on 'Sepulchral Productions', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Sepulchral Productions is the titan of french black metal in Quebec. Sepulchral's roster is not about the quantity of bands, but about the quality of them. I used to lurk at so many Sepulchral Productions shows when I was a teenager, so it is kind of an honor to be part of this amazing roster of talented and iconic artists (Forteresse, Monarque, Gris, Sombres Forêts, Délétère, just to name a few) 



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

It is hard to tell since we have not officialy released a first song yet. Only the people ''behind the scene'' has listened to it yet, but so far the reception has been extremely good. The full album will be available for listening a few days before the 24th of november show, so stay tuned. 



10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Time will tell. This album was very raw emotionally for me, so I think it has that sound in some way. I am pretty sure that this sound will stick to the second album (because I already have a vague idea of want I want to talk about in the next opus, and it is still very raw), but after that...time will tell! 



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Bands that had an influence on my music, to name a few : Lifelover, Miserere Luminis, Forteresse, Akira Yamaoka (the soundtrack of Silent Hill 2 especially) and Misþyrming.

About what I am listening nowadays : Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Hayley Williams, Red House Painters, Windir, Këkht Aräkh (honestly, this guy has made the best black metal album of the decade (yet), props). 



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

Thank you so much for the time and interest you had toward my project. I initially wrote this album expecting nothing, since I was doing it just as a personal achievement, so it truly means a lot. 

For those you want to see more, make sure to follow Orphique on facebook. 

And for those who struggles with mental illness, anxiety and/or depression, feel free to send me a message if you need to talk, my door will always be open ❤️



www.sepulchralproductions.com
www.facebook.com/sepulchral.prods

No comments:

Post a Comment