Saturday, February 21, 2015

Feign Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Feign is a side project I created in an effort to combine the emotional atmospheric elements of modern black metal with the harsh melodies of oldschool melodeath. I took my two favorite aspects of both styles, and contorted them into something that I thought would be interesting to create. There is other aspects of Feign though, doom influences as well as progressive metal influences. I wanted to create something that wouldn't be afraid to stray from it's core elements, to keep things interesting and fresh for the listener.


2.Recently you have released a demo, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

Dark, harsh, but melodic and beautiful as well. Instead of overwhelming hate and anger there is an element of mystery and deep emotion in the sound, something that I don't see as often in more extreme styles of metal, which is why it was something I chose to explore on this demo.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you explore with the music?

The lyrical themes of Lost To Eternity generally revolve around space, time, and one man's personal struggle. It follows him through his own world collapsing, and his journey to become part of stars in which he came from. Death, basically.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Feign'?

It was a word that I had heard of, and I thought it sounded very nice. The definition is also very interesting, and resonates well with the lyrical themes and sound of Feign. It means to pretend to be affected by something, a feeling, state or injury.


5.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to be solo?

For now Feign is solo, but I wouldn't mind working with other musicians. It's all about the chemistry, if it works it works. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. I do enjoy working alone for now, though.


6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I think a label could be effective in bringing in more fans and getting the word out there about Feign. I'm not seeking one but I'm also not closed off to one, we'll see what the future brings when I release the debut album.


7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

All positive so far! Everyone seems to be on board with my melodic approach to black metal, which is nice. I think it brings something a bit more fresh to the table, which can be good or bad, depending on the listener. So far so good!


8.Are you also involved with any other musical projects?

I have had many ideas over the past few months, possibly a death metal project, or maybe something more progressive. Who knows. At the moment I work on my solo stuff and Feign, that's about it. My solo work is just under my name (Jacob Lizotte). You can find that by searching on google or youtube, it's mostly thrashy metalcore, it sounds nothing like Feign but I do enjoy creating it! I've released 2 solo albums, and 4 EP's, as well as the demo for Feign.


9.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see yourself heading into during the future as a musician?

A full-album will be out pretty soon. Whenever I get a chance to write I start working on Feign, it's definitely my next release, probably in the next month or two. So April at the latest! As far as the future goes? I will always be creating music, whether I'm a touring musician or working and playing local shows. I would love to do it for a living, of course. But I'm happy either way. I'm looking to going to school for music production, so that is the most concrete answer at the moment for my future.


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Allegaeon, Pallbearer, Deafheaven as well as Dark Tranquility. Digging the new Periphery, At The Gates. I'm also a huge fan of Cynic, their latest album was killer! My music can be influenced by many different bands, I typically listen to metal, but sometimes I'll bust out something entirely different. It all depends on the sound I'm going for, and the style I feel like writing in.


11.What are some of your non musical interests?

I love weightlifting, writing, playing video games, I also enjoy hanging out with friends and family! Music has a huge place in my life, but I can't allow it to be my main focus 100% of the time. That's why I have other hobbies and interests, it keeps me from ignoring other aspects of life while also making my music writing fresh and exciting each time I sit down to do it.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Stay tuned for the debut album! I will be putting in infinitely more time and thought into it, the lyrical concepts and the song structures, making it more dense and more melodic while keeping it heavy. It will blow this demo out of the water! Thank you for the interview!

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Feign/3540392443

No comments:

Post a Comment