Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Inanimate Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


It's a pretty raw cut black metal/punk project I put together over the fall and winter of 2020.  I had a break from other projects due to covid and wanted to take advantage of the down time.  I live in small city in the southern interior of BC. I tracked it all in my basement over a few months and had Cody Baresich from Circle A studios (Victoria, BC) mix and master it.  



2.Recently you have released an album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


Sonically I wanted to make a blown out and harsh sounding album that has periods of delirium and borderline psychedelia.  Straight forward and minimal but engaging throughout.  Flow and pacing was the main focus.  Everything was premeditated.  Stylistically punk roots came naturally and the rest is pretty traditional black metal. 



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?


Northern colonial history.  I've always had a fascination with Canadian history and the sheer brutality of life during those times. The hardships were unreal and they echo through contemporary society to this day.  Needless to say it's mostly negative.  It's my favourite reading material and I've always wanted to develop a project paying artistic tribute to it.  




4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Inanimate'?



It's a homage to Ildjarn.  That was a big inspiration to the music.  The name can be interpreted many ways but for me it's as blunt as it sounds.  The absence of sentience.  Truly unaffected nothing.  Or is it total internalized feeling with no expression? It can go anyway.



5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


It's the HBC York Factory.  An early trading post in northern Manitoba.  It's a very ominous looking colonial building and I thought the process of degrading it brought out the darker feelings from the once colourful sunset scene. 



6.Has the band done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project?


Studio project with no desire to ever play live.  It's not off the table though.




7.So far very little is known about the band, are you planning on expanding your presence in the future or do you prefer to keep a low profile?



This is the first interview.  Outside of releasing music seasonally I don't think there will ever be an ulterior presence.  



8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


Not actively looking but I'm in no rush.  Keeping an open mind.



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


I'm just stepping into it with this first release but generally positive so far.  I'm appreciative of the people who have picked up the tape.



10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


More of the same but further realized.  I'm quite devout to developing this as much as possible.  The foundation has been laid and theres a lot I'm eager to build up from. 



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I work at a record store in my town and listen to everything I can.  I spend most of my time exploring new things. 



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Theres a video version of the album with footage from the Nahanni running in supplement to the tracks.  It's a bit of a trip and worth the watch.  Appreciate your interest and time.  Thanks.


https://youtu.be/kWc9bZt7xL8

No comments:

Post a Comment