Friday, December 17, 2021

Evil Might Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Valtias: Evil Might is quite traditional Black Metal from Finland. Formed in 2019 by some Rienaus members, who asked me to join them as a vocalist. So I did. They had recorded rehearsal demo and I recorded vocals on it. That is Demo I. Demo II is not so primitive as we used proper recording tools and even had an awesome mixer who did his own magic.

2.So far you have released a couple of demo's and a single, musically how do they differ from each other?

V: Not that much. Although Demo II’s songs have evolved to represent us all. The music and soundscape are more Evil Might. We also used some synths and accordion on Demo II to spice the sound up, to make it a bit deeper. That EP is just re-recorded Clandestine Lust for Power from Demo I. We recorded two songs from Demo I in Demo II sessions.

3.A lot of your lyrics cover Satanic and Luciferian themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the black arts?

V: I got interested in Satanism and Esoterism in the late 80s when I heard King Diamond and Mercyful Fate. Then came Thrash and Death Metal, and eventually in 1992 or so I found out Black Metal. I started to read about Satanism, Esoterism and Shamanism, and used these teachings in the lyrics of my former band ArthemesiA. Eventually I turned toward Luciferianism. I bow to none; Non Serviam.

4.All of the band members also play in other bands, what is it that you bring into the music of 'Evil Might', that you are not able to do with your other groups/

V: I lost interest in bands for a while after ArthemesiA split up. Then few years ago I joined Grieve to record few songs. So I haven’t actually had any bands for a quite long time. The other guys couldn’t express themselves in Rienaus, so they wanted a band for their music. Their other bands are not similar to Evil Might at all.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Evil Might'?

V: Hat shrieked that line in one of the Gorgoroth songs. Nothing more esoteric than that. It sounds evil.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the demo cover?

V: I just threw it together quickly. It’s a classic cliché: a misty dark forest. Throw in a hint of that purple hue from the 90’s Norsk Black Metal cover artworks. A Finnish darkness. That is the CD/digital version (which hopefully will be released on CD in 2022). There’s also a dark forest on the cassette (out now!) cover.

7.Once the pandemic is under more control, are there any plans for live shows?

V: Yeah, we have few gigs coming up in the Spring. Hopefully something bigger as well. Let’s see how it works out. Corona is a whore.

8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

V: There’s some interest. We have a split CD coming out from a cult UG label next year. We’re hopefully recording the debut album next year. There are quite many songs lined up. We just need to finalize them.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

V: Only positive. Although I was quite surprised that the whole UG Zine scene is dead. We looked for zines and medias for the reviews, but the zine scene is just gone. I miss the 90s. Now it’s all digital, no print media. Everyone releases in Youtube and Bandcamp. I guess there’s more spread, but it seems that the underground scene I once knew is utterly dead.

10.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?

V: Rienaus is recording an album soon. I don’t know about the rest actually. There’s something going on all the time. Someone is recording something for some band.

11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

V: Like I said, I think… I hope we record it in next year. Let’s see. Musically it will be quite much like Demo II, but we are probably going to try out some new things again. At least I’m taking more time for the vocals to do some more variation.

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Finnish and Norwegian second wave black metal. 80s and early 90s European black metal like Root and such cutl bands. Venom, Mercyful Fate, Motörhead, Iron Maiden and such. All the cliches. Personally, I’ve been enjoying synthwave (as I’m an eighties kid); Gunship, Carpenter Brut, Perturbator and such. The best modern (2000s) metal band is Peste Noire. Famine is a snail eating and baguette munching evil genius.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Listen to Evil Might or die trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment