Saturday, December 18, 2021

Chaoagnostic Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?


I created 'Chaoagnostic' just to play music. After a long hiatus (more than 12 years) it was necessary for me to start somewhere, and this project appeared. For myself I decided only one thing: I will play what I enjoy playing. And this is primitive, furious, raw Black Metal.


2.So far you have released a demo, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


To be honest, the recording style was dictated by technical capabilities. When I decided to try to get back to music, I got hold of a completely dead guitar. I wasn't sure if I could play again, so there was no point in spending money on an instrument and equipment right away. I reanimated this guitar, bought a primitive micro-amplifier, and this 'gorgeous' equipment (plus a laptop) was used for recording. So it came out a little more raw than I would like.


3.You also returned from the music business for a few years, can you tell us a little bit more about the decision behind leaving the music for a few years and also the decision to return to return?


There was no decision to leave music. At first there was a short break associated with moving to another city, but when it came to resuming musical activity, literally two days before the first rehearsal with the new band, a nuisance occurred. I got an arm injury, spent a week in the hospital, and my arm was in a cast for a month. Over time, the motor function recovered, but the nerve was damaged, and for a long time I was simply physically unable to play. It was only recently I discovered that there are improvements. I tried to play and realized that it is possible. This was the reason for the return.


4.You also have had a history with the law, can you tell us a little bit more about your run ins with the law?


First there was a history with the war. When the aggression of the Putin's regime against Ukraine began, I supported Ukraine, and in March 2015 I joined the volunteer military movement. I fought in intelligence. But for reasons that are not fully known, in December 2015 the state security authorities considered that our group are terrorists and saboteurs. The commander was killed during the arrest, two of my ribs were broken, and I spent 8 months in prison. However, it was such a politicized story that the court released me and the other defendants. And now, apparently, no one knows what to do next. The trial is in its sixth year without any success. Once a month we go to court, look at each other and disperse. Some kind of Kafka, in a word.


5.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


These are very simple texts, they are too primitive. Although some of them have a second meaning. For example, the song 'Dance of Death' describes the experience of a person in a battle situation. These are not the impressions of the battle itself, but an attempt to convey how artillery shells fly right over you. "Someone's death is over my head." The song 'Holy Pest' is, of course, about the Plague. During a pandemic, I cannot but recall the times when "the world was blessed by Holy Pest." Well, what about 'Dark Blood', it is a variant of the vampire theme. 


6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Chaosagnostic'?

 

The name consists of two words - Chaos and Agnostic. I came up with it to describe the fundamental unknowability of the Universe and, moreover, Chaos for the human mind. People have achieved a lot by studying how everything works in this world, but they will never be able to finally figure it out. This is beyond our cognitive abilities, our perception. People only very approximately understand what happened after the Big Bang, but what happened *before* it, when there was no time yet ... Actually, Chaos is what was before the appearance of space and time, and will be after. 'Before time' sounds absurdly, well, what kind of cognition can we talk about, huh? With mystical gnosis the story is the same: the human mind can seek the truth, but cannot find it. That is why 'Chaoagnostic'.

 

7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the demo cover?


Honestly I can't, because there is no artwork there. Just the logo and title of the album, nothing else. 


8.With this project you recorded everything by yourself but have had experience playing with a full band, do you prefer to work solo?

 

Nowadays, I think, it's really easier for me to work solo. Don't need to show anything to anyone, don't need to explain how to play. And, finally, I don't know any musician here in Ukraine. Actually, for a project that does not perform at gigs, solo is a perfectly acceptable option. But in the future I might think about session members. 


9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

 

I haven't received any offers, but for LP I will definitely look for a label. 


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


I really don't see any particular reaction. However, this is not surprising: just a dirty and raw demo.


11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


Material for LP has already been written. The album will include songs from the demo and new ones. I look forward to recording this LP in the studio and hope to be able to do it soon. At the moment I am recording drum parts (using drum machine). As for the future, I don’t want to think about it (practice has shown that this is unreasonable), but I hope that I can continue my musical activity. 


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


Many years ago I was influenced by such different groups as 'Mayhem, 'Marduk' and groups of French 'LLN'. This, of course, was reflected in my music and in the manner of performance. Now I listen mostly the same music as 10-15-20-... years ago. I understand that such conservatism is not a very good thing (age, hehe), but I can’t help it - I like to listen music what I’ve listened before. 'Marduk', 'Antaeus', 'Dissection', 'Mayhem', 'Deathspell Omega', 'Watain', 'Limbonic Art', 'Vlad Tepes', 'Belketre', 'Mutiilation' are the base of my playlist. 


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 


Thanks for the good questions and for your interest in what I am doing. 

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment