Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Abdicatrix Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?



We are a black metal band based in the UK. We mainly draw inspiration from second wave black metal, which we hold in high regard, and since the formation of the band it has been our goal to stay true to both that sound and aesthetic as much as possible. Where these days many bands strive to outdo each other in terms of who can be more ’trendy, different, avant garde’ - we feel there is a lot of scope and opportunity left within the framework of the old school style. The idea for Nonserviam (our previous name) was originally conceived of in 2005 by Dionne and Louisa, however the band was really only fully founded in 2013 by myself and Dionne. Louisa re-joined the band in 2015. We have recorded various demo tracks over the years and we started playing live in 2016. We have gigged relatively extensively in the UK since then (except of course during the pandemic), and have gained a loyal following. Our permanent drummer Douglas joined us in 2017. 



2.In August you had released a new album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording and musically how does it differ from the material you had released under the name 'Nonserviam'?



The name change from Nonserviam to Abdicatrix was purely for the sake of practicality, and our sound has not changed. Since there are so many entities called ‘Nonserviam/Non Serviam’ these days (other bands, labels etc), it made more sense to find a more unique name. As mentioned above, we predominantly play a form of traditional black metal. We strive to write catchy riffs and to create that typical ‘otherworldly’ black metal atmosphere that combines melody with raw feeling. That being said though, on our album you will find occasional influences from other genres/sub-genres, such as some thrash type riffs for example, and even some grunge elements in one particular song - I think this combination results in the unique sound that is Abdicatrix.



3.A lot of your lyrics cover Occultism themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the esoteric arts and which areas of the occult do you have the most interest in?



My interest in esoteric subjects started around 20 years ago, when I was a teenager, and involves many different areas within the occult. Although I find the term ‘left-hand path’ becoming more and more cringe these days due to being misinterpreted and watered down by certain so called ‘atheistic satanic’ groups, I suppose that is how I would classify my practice. Although, I don’t really like labels and I would say my own path is somewhat beyond the terms ‘RHP/LHP’ as I see it. As a wise lady once said to me ‘you can’t walk both paths UNLESS reality has already fallen into your head’. Around 6 years ago, during a particularly intense initiatory experience, reality ‘fell into my head’ and shattered my entire world (and nearly my sanity haha). The experience is summed up quite well in the infamous words of Crowley I think ‘…but my left hand is empty, for I have crushed an Universe; & nought remains’. Since that time I don’t obsess as much over categorising my practice. My lyrical themes deal with my personal experiences and gnosis gained from spirits that I work with (Hecate, Azazel etc), specific currents which I am interested in (such as the Draconian Tradition/ Lovecraftian magick etc), and my own theories and ideas.



4.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have covered over the years with both 'Nonserviam' and 'Abdicatrix'?



I have written before about the subject of mental turmoil, generally in the context of severe mental illness. Our two guitarists occasionally contribute lyrics, which are mainly pagan-related, which is more in line with their spiritual beliefs/interests.



5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Abdicatrix'?



When we decided to change the name- we wanted something that was similar to Nonserviam (I will not serve). I was personally quite sceptical about finding something suitable, but when the name Abdicatrix (meaning literally - a woman who abdicates) was suggested, I immediately felt a pull towards it. I felt it had somewhat the same ‘energetic signature’ as Nonserviam, and in fact is a stronger name I think. 



6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?



The artwork was done by the amazing Daniel Corcuera. We had asked him to base it loosely on the lyrical theme of the title track ‘Melancholia’, being that of Saturnian gnosis and the concept of rebirth through decay.



7.The new album was released on 'UKEM Records', are you happy with the support that the label has given you so far?



UKEM has been very supportive, and has done a really good job of promoting our work and getting our album out via physical media, as well as via online platforms.



8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?



I am pleased to say that the album seems to have been well received so far. We have been receiving good reviews and generally very good feedback.



9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?



Now that we have ‘nailed down’ our sound so to speak, for the foreseeable future I think we will continue working on material in a similar vein. We have started working on new tracks that we are very excited about, and we hope to record a new single in 2022.



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



Typical 90’s second wave black metal bands generally influence us. Although we all have our own personal favourites and our tastes differ to some degree of course, some shared favourites include (the usual suspects, I suppose): Judas Iscariot, Beherit, Burzum, Dissection, Immortal, Bathory etc. Back in the day I was very inspired by Demonic Christ, especially from the point of view of a female black metal vocalist. I will be honest, I usually listen to the same stuff that I always do (as I am quite specific in what I like), but I must say there have been some very good releases during the past two years. One such release being the EP “The Fiery Blood’ by the Polish band Deus Mortem, as an example.



11.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Many thanks for the interview! 


Bandcamp
Deezer
Facebook
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment