Monday, August 17, 2026

Unguilty Interview



 1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

- I started Unguilty between 2018 and 2019 as my first solo project. I was in love with a girl and had written a song for her. I ended up really liking that song and thought, “Why not release it?” And that’s how I created this project, which, over the years, has become very important to me and my main form of expression. It started as some sort of DSBM and has since evolved, incorporating influences from black metal and doom metal.


2.In October you have a new album coming out, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

- With every new release, the quality of my production improves, and this upcoming album is no exception! Listeners can expect an atmospheric record with a DSBM background, but also some melodic black metal passages and doom-ish riffs. It is probably my most aggressive-sounding album so far.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the newer music and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?

- With this album, I decided to draw inspiration from some personal beliefs and experiences. I explore themes like isolation, despair, death, inner conflict, and the darker sides of the human mind in a very personal way, using references to nature such as fire, darkness, the sea, and ashes. The lyrics are, and have always been, the most difficult part of making music for me. I find it easier to express myself through the instruments.


4.On the new album you also have some lyrics inspired by Ernest Hemmingway, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in his work and also do any other authors have an influence on your songwriting?

- Yes, the seventh track, “Beneath the Abyss,” is inspired by Hemingway’s novel The Old Man and the Sea. I read this book in my teenage years, and it has become one of my favorite and most memorable stories I have ever read. It is a beautiful story about an old fisherman and his struggles, with some very precious and melancholic lessons to be learned. In the past, I have also made a song inspired by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe’s novel Die Leiden des jungen Werthers, and the band logo contains a detail that references Albert Camus’s Le Mythe de Sisyphe. Literature plays an important role in my interests and inspirations.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

- I painted this after an episode of cardiac arrhythmia. I have a heart condition that causes some complications when I engage in intense physical activity. That day, I was out on a bike trail and had to lie down under a tree to keep from fainting. So, the view I had of that tree was what inspired the artwork. I thought it was fitting because there’s a song—track 5—that refers to my condition.


6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Unguilty'?

-  “Unguilty” means “not guilty” or “innocent,” and I came up with that name because I find the idea of defining someone as guilty or not guilty to be intriguing, since everyone can be guilty of something, depending on the observer’s perspective. This leads one to reflect on whether anyone can truly be considered innocent in this world, and on everyone’s authority to judge others.


7.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

- I would very much like to work with other musicians, but I don’t think it can happen with Unguilty. This project has become something very personal to me, and I think it is meant to remain that way. Although, I would like to participate in another project with other musicians at some point.


8.The new album is going to be released while you have worked with labels in the past, are you open to working with another label again in the future? 

- Sure, it’s always a possibility. It all depends on the offer. I’d really like, for example, to have some physical releases someday. But I’m also fine with releasing everything independently.


9.On a worldwide level, how has the reaction been to your music by fans of atmospheric and depressive black and doom metal?

- It’s been truly fantastic! I make music because it is what I love to do, and I don’t expect anything in return. But even so, I receive so much support from all corners of the world, and it’s truly amazing to think that my music is reaching such distant places and that, in so many ways, it’s being appreciated by other metal fans. It will always be an honor.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

- This project is one of the most important things in my life, and I hope to be able to dedicate more time to it. In a perfect world, I would be able to fully dedicate myself to music, painting, and every type of art. But, to stay grounded in reality, I intend to keep writing new songs, releasing new music with Unguilty, and being more present with my audience. And, who knows, maybe a new project with other musicians one day? It would be awesome to play live gigs.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

- In the beginning, I was most influenced by DSBM (Thy Light, Austere, Woods of Desolation), doom metal (Saturnus, Clouds, Paradise Lost), and some post-black metal (Harakiri for the Sky, Ellende). Nowadays, I mostly listen to black and doom metal. You will find bands like Warning, Rotting Christ, Sarcófago, Empyrium, Dissection, and many others in my playlists.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

- I would like to thank Occult Black Metal Zine for the huge support with the review and this interview. You guys are doing a great job for the underground metal community! I’d also like to thank every listener who finds some kind of pleasure in my music and invite every fan of atmospheric black and doom metal to give the new album a listen. It will be released on October 30th, 2026. Some singles are already available!

No comments:

Post a Comment