Sunday, November 11, 2018

Volkolun Interview

1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Roman: Volkolun was formed in 2010 as a project of one person.  Over the next three years different songs were gradually composed, which for one reason or another were later recorded or forgotten. In 2013, the debut album  Only Trees Remember Centuries was released, on which I did all the work alone. Next was a five-year break. In 2018, a new EP Path Through The Mist was released.  A new member Zyx from EXESA took part in the creation of it.

Zyx: Thats it. Roman messaged me if I would like to put  vocals over his instrumentals. I found his music very interesting, could not miss the chance to make trans-border slavic fusion.


2.In August you had released a new ep, what are some of the things you have done different musically with this recording that you where not able to do your past release?

Roman: A lot of time has passed since the last release and the new ep could no longer be the same as the debut. Musically much remained in its place. The main changes affected the sound and, of course, the vocals, because Zyx took the place at the microphone. He is also the author of all the lyrics.

Zyx: I think that musical core has still it's melodic taste, however switching to english might get Volkolun some more understanding.


3.This is your first release in 5 years, can you tell us a little bit more about what was going on during that time span?

Roman: During this period, many different events happened in my life, which, together with the lack of free time, did not allow me to play music, but I never left the idea to continue.

4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with your music?

Zyx: My main topic of lyrics is simply human nature – is it a fact of creating artificial god or just human weakness, does not matter. Generally I wander around some chords and later wrap it around with emotions - words. Sometimes I change lyrics of same track multiple times before publishing. This way I can reach maximum coherence with the the music.

5.Originally the band was known as 'Svartalvheim' what was the cause of the name change and also what is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Volkolun'?

Roman:  Svartalvheim is the project with which I started my black metal activities. Musically it was very similar to Burzum, the name was also not particularly original, so I changed it. I recorded one demo tape in 2006. Here's a link, if someone will be interested in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfYVnftFaaM&t ... As for Volkolun, this word consists of two words: volk and luna, This means wolf and moon in Russian. the name does not shine originality, but I decided to save it.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

Roman:  The illustration used for the EP cover was drawn by my wife according to my concept. Also the old and new logo is her work.

7.  One member is from Poland while another is from Russia, what kind of impact does this have on your musical style?

Zyx: I had no part in creating instrumentals - so far I took part only in laying lyrics, therefore You can say that Roman was main creator of this EP. It might change in future – who knows.

8.So far the band has worked with 'Werewolf Promotion' and 'Crush The Desert' on the releases, do you feel these labels have been very helpful when it comes to getting your music out there heard?

Roman:  Undoubtedly, these guys have done a very important job for Volkolun and we are very grateful to them.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

Roman:  In general, the reaction is positive. But, unfortunately, I think that we have not yet been able to bring Volkolun to many who might like it.

Zyx: I think the response was good, we got some nice extra upload on big YT channels or good reviews. As Roman said, the problem is in reaching desired amount of listeners. There is a lot of greats projects, its really hard to emerge. However – be sure those are not last words that Volkolun said!

10. What is going on with 'Exesa' these days?

Zyx: First information is that Exesa became Zdrada which stands for „Treachery” in polish. Another is that new 6 track album will be fully in polish also. Currently I'm finishing the process of composing. The next step is building a stories around every track.  However I can't say when the LP will appear. It could be this winter, but next fall as well. The last 10% of progress takes 90% of time...

11. Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Roman:  Musically, we do not put any stylistic restrictions, in the future you can hear more black or more folk, or maybe it will be dark ambient. I would like to release songs more often and bring the music to more listeners.

12. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Roman:  I was influenced by the old Norwegian scene, modern Polish and Ukrainian bands, ambient and martial music, folk of course... Recently I am pleased with the French scene in particular such bands as Peste Noire and Baise Ma Hache...

Zyx: I think I took the biggest inspirations from the polish scene which is very strong nowadays – that of course means Plaga, Mgła and Furia - I think in that order. Meanwhile we cant forget about Burzum or Immortal and some other bands, or I should say projects which is too many to list here. Currently im exploring swedish Mörker

13. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Zyx: We are grateful to have a chance to tell some words about us. Stick to Your goals despite the wind blowing in the faces.

Roman: And thanks for the interesting interview...

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment