Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Son Ov Leviathan Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

CL Son ov Leviathan is intended to both satisfy personal philosophical achievement, beget change, and take a role in igniting the flames of growth.  Clearly SOL is rooted in challenging faith and belief which is a concept that is not by any means new.  That being said, I am passionate about the topic of organized religion and it’s negative affects on this world and it’s habitants oppressed by it.  Son ov Leviathan is my way of bringing this expression incarnate in the vehicle of black metal which is very personal to me.  We are smothered in a veil of comfortable ignorance which the outcome has lead to savage blood-thirst and oppression not just in humanity, but it’s affects on life collectively.  SOLs purpose is to view the world from a different eye, through painful growth and awakening.

2.So far you have released 2 albums, musically how do they both differ from each other?

CL Ultimately both Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici and Luciferian Misanthrope were written within a couple years of each other.  Both of which are special in the monuments of the journey they represent.  Luciferian Misanthrope definitely explores more experimental elements adding deeper layers and dimensions to the sound.  Lyrically, both albums are very defined in the message they attempt to drive which is ultimately a positive one cloaked in a venomous shroud.

3.Your lyrics also cover a lot of Satanic, Luciferian and Left Hand Path themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?

CL As stated prior, the lyrical themes are less on what they represent and more of what they do not. The words are intended to incite visceral reaction and conflicting thought as it relates to the values placed on the world around us.  Ultimately, growth comes from the pain of opposites and extremes which is where SOLs lyrics align.  The true light of life and existence is in ones self where the true questions to existence are answered.  I vehemently despise the judgement, ignorance and negative impact organized religion and power has cursed upon this world.  SOLs purpose, regardless of its impact, is to penetrate the veil of ignorance from ideologies that gain allegiance through fear and superstition.  I believe in life, myself, family, the earth and the energy that binds us all.  Religion is the corruption that divides this.  This is the essence of Luciferianism to me.  At the end of the day, I am a normal hard-working guy that wants a better world for my children devoid of judgement, complacency and oppression.  SOL is a step forward in which I can create that.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Son Ov Leviathan'?

CL At the time I began SOL, my son was to be born and I committed to teaching him morals and values that would create a bigger impact to the world than I have made myself.  Conceptually the Son ov Leviathan is the next generation in driving extreme change and growth for the betterment of humanity and the world we inhabit.  If we don’t, the universe has ways of righting itself which will not include humanity which is causing its destruction.  The son of the lightbringer incites a new dawn.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

CLIt is an amazing piece from Francisco Goya called Witches’ Sabbath painted in 1798.  It really resonates with me and I felt it captured the mood and overarching theme of the songs.  I also like the history that it brings to the feel of the album.  It is morbidly clandestine, yet beautiful at the same time.

6.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?

CL Yes absolutely.   I have several projects my peer Coby and I are working on that have interlocked over the years.  SOL started in isolation and remains something that will come solely from me with production partnership from Coby.  That being said there are some great things coming with our collaboration in the near future.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

CL Yes absolutely.  The landscape is tough so ultimately if it happens...it happens.  Doesn’t change the path ahead either way.

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

CL So far I have received a lot of great support and positive acclaim from everywhere.  It’s really encouraging!  I strive to create something meaningful and it is awesome to see others sharing that sentiment! 

9.Are you also involved or have been involved with any other bands or musical projects?

CL Yes, I have been involved in several in the past.  As noted prior, I have done many projects with Coby and have a new offering that is coming soon.  Keep an eye out for Sigillum Diaboli.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

CL Staying the course and doing what’s from the heart.  Ultimately, I want to continue to grow Son ov Leviathan and already have the material written for the 3rd full length that I will be starting production on soon.  I want to continue to push my own boundaries as a musician, but also not attempt to “become” anything with a predetermined expectation or external pressure.   Just continue to create and go with what comes organically.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

CL Black metal is very personal and special to me and has been the greater part of my existence.  There are a number of great bands on the death metal side I am really into.  This is where my musical journey began.  I am also a huge fan of very organic Norse and Pagan music.  Like most, my library is massive and I am always on the hunt for great new artists.  I am really into a fellow SoCal band Cultus Profano, they capture some awesome grim atmosphere and are excellent musicians.  It’s almost impossible to pick a “favorite” band or album but if I were to say what is one of the most impactful to me is Lunar Auroras “Andacht”.  It captures mood and atmosphere perfectly.  Like many, Chuck Schuldiner and Death have a special place in my life and have greatly influenced me musically and mentally.  I also really like the latest albums from The Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, Aoratos, The Sarcophagus, Hate, Avslut, Heilung, Anthropomorphia, Chaos Moon, Djevel, Nordjevel, Craft, Gra, Havukruunu, Horna, Mgla, Kriegsmaschine, Kult, Lucifers Child, Theotoxin, Sargeist..to name a few.....

Bands that have been major influences for me are Death, Lunar Aurora, Belphegor, Dark Funeral, Wolves in the Throne Room, Gorgoroth, Old Mans Child, Nightbringer, Carcass, Amorphis, Nachtmystium, Deicide, Darkspace, Behemoth, Forest Silence, Wardruna...

As you can see this is hard for me to be brief on the topic...

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

CL Thank you very much for taking the time to do this interview and I truly appreciate the support!!!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Instagram
SoundCloud
YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment