Sunday, July 21, 2019

Pierre Noir Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Pierre Noir was born from the idea of mixing techno and black metal.  For quite some time I was making techno music and at the same time I listened to a lot of black metal so I thought it could be mixed as no one had really done it.  If black metal and electronics had been mixed certainly but specifically with techno, i.e. the bass on the floor, 4x4, and the basic scheme of techno, I personally hadn't heard it in anyone.

2.Since 2018 you have put out at least 3 releases, musically how do they differ from each other?
Well, it was two releases. Pierre Noir is a slow project. I want to perfect the technique of mixing the two styles little by little.  I think the first "Welcome to the black rave" is more basic. for this new ep "Licantropia is the relationship of the barbarized mankind" I have worked more the atmosphere and I wanted it to sound more raw, as it is generally how I like black metal. The problem with this is that in techno the bass drum must be in the foreground to be techno, everything else goes behind. I'm trying to find the balance on this last record between these two things, the bass drum, the atmosphere and the maelstrom of guitars and raw black metal screams.

3.The lyrics on the new album deal with anti capitalism themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in politics?
In black metal talk politics is very controversial because there was a large part of the scene that was far-right or directly Nazi. However, lately this is changing.  Black metal is an underground musical movement rejecting the existing. He's not accommodating or looking to please the general public. This trend has been mainly in my opinion that has led some black metal bands and projects to embrace Nazi ideology. However, I believe that the idiosyncrasy of black metal is closer to an anti-capitalist social critique. Personally, I'm someone very critical of money being the only thing valid in this world. I also see in the evolution of modern capitalism a growing human barbarization that turns people into a mass report without critical thinking or the ability to choose their lives beyond what the system prepares for them.

4.On one of your earlier releases you also covered some occult themes, how would you describe your interest in the dark arts?
I am particularly interested in the part of the occult that is related to reality.  Historically what their vision of the world and existence meant to peoples in their concrete cultures. A vision that was not based on an established religion as then were the great religions first polytheistic and then monotheistic but on a multiple knowledge of the real experience with death and birth. I am particularly interested in how this knowledge resisted Christianity in Europe in the form of what was called witchcraft in the Middle Ages and also its relationship to the patriarchal drift of society. I also like "satanic" imagery because it represents antagonism and denial that are important points to be free people

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Pierre Noir'?
Pierre noir means in French black stone and refers to the mythological archetype of a black stone present in many cultures. Mecca is a black stone that was already revered before the advent of Islam.  There are many references to black stones in many civilizations and they have a fairly similar character.  The  name plays a little bit with the meaning of black stone and black metal.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?
The cover is a picture by the German artist Lucas Cranach, from SXVI, entitled "Der Werewolf oder der Kannibale". Lycantropia is something that we have encountered since the beginning of the centuries and that is nothing but the figurative representation that the human being is a wolf to the human being in certain circumstances. The werewolf does not appear except at very specific times, the rest of the time he is an ordinary man. This helped me to focus the concept I wanted to refer to from a humanity barbarized by capitalism where lycantropia is the common and normalized relationship

7.I have read that you have decided to keep this project anonymous, can you tell us a little bit more about it?
I don't see any need to show my identity or anything like that or actually contribute anything to this project so I've decided to leave it anonymous

8.With 3 releases in less than 2 years do you feel you spend a great amount of time writing and creating music?

Well, I do spend a lot of time making music, it's an essential part of my life right now. However it is not only for this project Pierre Noir, I am in others, I play in bands of other styles, however I am not professional in any way. It's pure love of art.

9.On a worldwide level how has been to your music by fans of black metal and techno?
So far the reception has been much better among people who like black metal than those who like techno. It's also true that black metal fans are a lot more music lovers than technoheads who often only listen to that music when they party .without worrying or cared who makes the music they're listening to.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

I see myself researching sounds and atmospheres and recording techniques.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Pierre Noir is influenced above all by the black metal that started in Norway, especially and despite the differences and political antipathies that I feel towards Varg Vikernes, the sound achieved in Burzum is what has influenced me as I suppose 90 percent of people who makes underground black metal today. Also another band not specifically black metal influenced me a lot and it is Devil's blood. I am also influenced by many things I hear now, a lot of raw black metal like Sanguine Relic, Moras of Finland, Carved Cross from Australia, Haxenzirkle from Germany, some danish bands like Jordslaet and the Korpsand collective, Batilda, Vaal, I usually like dark projects of current raw black metal


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
thank you for the interview and congratulations for the fanzine. A much-needed job to keep the underground alive

https://grabacionesautobombo.bandcamp...





No comments:

Post a Comment