Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Flagg interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


Flagg is my bm solo project that I started around 2018. When I had the songs for the album somewhat ready and recorded, I showed the project to Tyrant and asked him to join in for the vocals.


2.Recently you have released a new album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?


I wanted the album to be dark and aggressive at the same time. Also I didn't want the album to be too polished so it wouldn't lose the raw and primal feeling to it.


3.Most of the music is also very heavily rooted in the 90's era, do you feel the old school style of black metal still stands out after more than 25 years?


I don't really think about that when I write music, I just do what naturally comes out and don't try to force anything. I did grew up listening the 90's era bm bands and I still listen those same bands so I guess they have “rooted” my music to that era. Any good music is ageless.


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?


Lyrical themes involves death, darkness, misanthropy and anti-religion. Most of the lyrics are based around death in some sort of way or spite for human race.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Flagg'?


Flagg is taken from Stephen King's novels. There is an antagonist named Randall Flagg that represents ultimate evil and darkness in world. He can be seen as satan or the darkness in all of us. Servant of outer dark.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?


The faceless monster in the cover represents darkness in the world or incarnation of evil. The baby he is about to devour or dismember represents mankind. Human race is headed towards inevitable destruction and there's no hope for it. Vhan artworks and printing did fine work for the album. (https://www.facebook.com/vhanartworks/ )


7.So far there is very little information regarding the band online and you are also from an unknown location,do you have plans on revealing the location in the future?


This is a new band and not much information yet published. It will be on metal archives soon. We are from Finland that is no secret.


8.The album was also released on 'Purity Through Fire', what are you r thoughts on the other bands that are also signed to the same label?


Many great bands on Purity Through Fire. Kryptamok from finland for example, they just released their debut full lenght also.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


The album hasn't been officially released yet (8.6) so not much fan comments or reactions so far. From the 2 songs published in Youtube and couple reviews that I have seen the feedback has been good.


10.Do any of the band members also have experience playing in other bands or musical projects?


Tyrant has his own band called Malum, (also in Purity through Fire) and he does vocals also in Kalmankantaja. This is my first own project, though I was playing bass for Annihilatus a while back. Flagg is now the only project for me at the moment.


11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


Next album is taking it's form right now and it's not hugely different style than Nothing but Death. A little bit more melodies, but still dark and chaotic. It's gonna be chaos and destruction.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening  to nowadays?


There are many musical influences, like Marduk and (old) Satyricon. Like I said before I listen some old 90's bm stuff but also I listen a lot of new black metal bands. I try to listen new music as much as possible. Lately I have been listening a lot of atmospheric black metal.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Album will soon be out in many forms, go check it out. Nothing but Death.


Best regards

Flagg

https://youtu.be/IE8sNJwjyG0

No comments:

Post a Comment