Thursday, June 25, 2020

Fullmane Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?





Well I just quit a band back in 2017/18 and had no one to play with,, life was boring and meaningless. So I might as well do everything myself! I said. Do everything MY way. So that's what I did. I went up to a cabin in the woods with some recording equipment and just tried to make something happen. Not really knowing how to do it.

That ended up as the first demo.
The most important is to be honest and unpolished, To make something raw that speaks the truth. I hate it when people try to be something they are not, I never understood it. A lot of bands put on a fake image, especially in black metal, and it just means you cant believe in it, and the music is boring, even if its «technically or lyrically edgy» it does not matter. It has to come from the heart.

Musically It is basically Rock n roll, Punk, Black and Thrash metal, all rolled into one. And Also some experimental electronic / psychedelic influences in there.







2.So far you have put out 3 releases. musically how do they differ from each other?



The first one was a fucking train wreck. I did not know how to do anything except play guitar, learning everything else and writing songs on the spot in 5 days, its all over the place..
Trash metal and punk mixed with black metal. Very rough, rawer than raw production.
On the two later releases you can hear I am learning how to do it and taking more time to work on the songs.

The second release «Haunting the basement» is  very hardcore inspired, everything is fast and straight to the point, but tight. Very tight. And still the rawest fucking sound, except now it sounds good.

«Lurking in the dark» the latest release, is more heavy and slower, more mystical and melodic, with keyboards laying a weird spooky atmosphere over it all.

I am already working on new songs now – so watch out!




3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with your music?



Everything from War, death, and the decline of civilization to puking on a bus and getting high in a graveyard. Stupid trends in society..

and just a general frustration about life and a longing for something far beyond.



4.I know that the bands name means 'Fullmoon' in Norwegian, how does this name fit in with the musical style that you play?



Well, Its a mystical name. I make most of my music at night as I am more creative then, I am also a lone wolf in this project, and I just like the name.



5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover/



The cover is a picture of me outside a barn where I grew up, at winter time. Trying to look like the grim reaper and having some kind of black metal orgasm in the dark.

Edited the colours a little bit on my phone and just thought it looked cool.





6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?



Part of the reason why I started this is to learn everything myself and do everything my way. However, that means a lot of work. If its gonna be any good. And also I am dying to play the stuff live, So eventually I will bring in more musicians. Just need to find the right people (hello).





7.The physical copy is coming out on 'Screaming Skull Records, how did you get in contact with this label?



I contacted a lot of labels and this guy was the only one that answered, And I was the first band to send him a demo in a long time, so we needed each other kind of. Since then we have cooperated and my newest release is also coming out on Screaming Skull- will be like 50 cassettes or something.

It is a true DIY label driven with no profits out of love for underground music.  Recommend you check them out!



8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?



The first comments I got on my music was like: «is this a joke?» you know. Black metal has become very polished, prog rock, overproduced, over complicated..
Full-Moon has always been the complete opposite of that. An antidote. So I expected some hate. But mostly people think its great actually, once they listen to it. A lot of people that do not even listen to metal like it. Punks like it. I do not care about fitting into «what black metal is supposed to be» Fuck that elitist bullshit.





9.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?



I like to keep the albums short – that way you do not get bored half way trough. Call it an EP or whatever you want. If I put 10 songs on an album, nobody got time for that.

But I think the next one will be a little longer, have a lot of songs now.

As for the future, I do not want to think about it too much. But I will never stop doing this shit.





10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



Influences for Full-Moon is oldschool black metal – Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum and Gorgoroth. Mixed with Hardcore punk, Old norwegian bands like Betong Hysteria and Svart Framtid. And Kjøtt! I worship all early norwegian punk. Horror movie soundtracks and acid rock also come into the frame. And some trash metal of course, got to have some of that...



Lately I have ben listening to some new hip hop like Travis Scott, and ASAP Rocky. A lot of cool stuff happening in hip hop theese days and also in Hardcore punk. Check out Negativ, Purple X and Guff from Oslo (I play in Guff also). Also many new black metal bands experimenting with electronic music, witch I think is interesting.
Most of the time though, on a daily basis, I just listen to Motorhead, Ramones, the Stooges, Hawkwind, different punk stuff, and Mayhem/Darkthrone probably. Bathory, Venom. Classic stuff.



11.What are some of your non musical interests?



I have always loved drawing, man you should see, some of my drawings are very black metal.. I will attach a pic to this email. Otherwise, Drinking, partying.. Paint Graffiti.

I like to just walk around at night a lot, alone.





12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Watch out for new maniac full moon music! Thanks for taking the time to talk! See you later folks.



No comments:

Post a Comment