Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Unapproachable Light Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?


Unapproachable Light is from Chicago, IL and plays Black Metal. While it is a new project, a good portion of the music is quite old, many of the riffs and ideas were from the early 2000's. These ideas did not fit with the Barbaric Black/Death band I was a part of then, I took a long break from the "scene" and now I want to continue what I never finished.


2.So far you have released a single, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the track?


I have always enjoyed simple and atmospheric Black Metal like Ancient's "Svartalvheim" and Arckanum's "Kostogher". Those albums had a huge effect on me when they were released, I love the mystical and mysterious atmosphere of these albums. This era is the main influence on Unapproachable Light.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


Worshiping the mysteries of nature and the magical powers of light and darkness. I also touch on the afterlife, theology and folklore/mythology.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Unapproachable Light'?


The term comes from the bible, it has always struck a chord with me. The name conjures up images of immense power that mere humans could not comprehend, a godhead of mystical energy.  I didn't want a name that conjures up images of evil or satanism, that wouldn't fit with the lyrical subject matter. 


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the single cover?


It is a logo showing the U and L of the band name, mysterious eyes watch and wait while the ominous light shines. I did not want to use a conventional logo, I like the unorthodox and primitive feel of this one.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


Yes, I recorded everything myself, including playing on an electronic drum set. Future recordings will have acoustic drums. Right now I plan on recording solo, I want to complete all of the ideas I have that have been lying in wait. I am open to working with some close comrades in the future.


7.So far very little is known about the musical project, are you planning on expanding your presence in the future?


Yes I am, the "Silver Dawn" single is a stepping stone. I have a lot of material to work with, and I will be slowly releasing a few more songs by the summer. I was very busy recording and doing session work in the period of 1999 to 2006, then I took a long break for close to 15 years. It feels good to have the creative juices flowing again.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


In the future I would like a label to do a small release like a split 7 inch or EP, I am in no hurry to try to write and release a full length album. I have not received any interest from labels, this project is still unknown to the Black Metal underground.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


To be honest, not many people have heard Unapproachable Light. I am a very solitary person and I don't use social media, so it will be a slow road getting the word out. Tape trading is not a thing anymore, even Metal message boards are pretty much gone, getting the word out is totally different now than is was 20 years ago.


10.When can we expect either an ep or a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


The music direction will always be atmospheric Black Metal, I will not stray from this style. I cannot say when a physical release will be available, but I will releasing 2-3 new songs in the next few months on my Bandcamp.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


Early to mid nineties Black Metal from Scandinavia, Greece and Poland are my biggest influences, it was a special time.  These days I really don't listen to much Black Metal, only in the winter time do I return to those early albums. I mainly listen to 80's/90's Death Metal/Heavy Metal, 90's Electronic and Synthwave.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thank you for letting me promote Unapproachable Light, if anybody is interested in hearing us, you can go to:https://unapproachablelight.bandcamp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment