Thursday, April 22, 2021

Flammenkvlt Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


M.M.: Years ago, I had the Idea of a Black Metal Band. I already had some songs in a very abstract and I would say not used Style for that genre. I worked together with another guy, but I wasn´t satisfied, so I stopped that thing I had running. In 2020 the Black Metal thing came up again and I sat down and wrote some songs in a much better songwriting quality and “Flammenkvlt” was born. I sent the songs to my all-time session guitarist D.S. and he recorded them at home including his own guitar style. I was very happy with the product and were searching for a singer in 2021. Thanks to Wolfang Rothbauer who brought me to A.S. He is the one who really fits into the style and meaning of the Band “Flammenkvlt”. And as always: The Underground should help each other! 


2.You have an ep coming out in June, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


A.S.: 'Zeitenwende' is an amalgame of melodic black and death metal with a heavy emphasis on dynamics. For this, vocal samples, pianos and accoustic guitars were added.


M.M.: I wanted to create also a special Athmospheric on every song, where the vocal samples had the most influence on it. 



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?


A.S.: When M.M. asked me to sing on 'Zeitenwende', he already had lyrics written for all the songs. Since I don't like to sing other people´s lyrics without at least contributing a little to the art, we agreed, that I take his lyrics as an inspiration and write own lyrics for the songs. Another advantage to this is, that I can adapt the lyrics, the choice of words and the rhythm, to my vocal style. In the end I just took the main theme of each song and wrote more abstract lyrics based on that. The underlying motive in the songs can be described as oppression and how to deal with it, how to carry a specific burden and move forth. Every song has a central spoken word sample, that makes the general direction of the lyrics quite obvious.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Flammenkvlt'?


The Idea of the Name and the goal of the Bands Name was and is very important to me. I had the idea when I was sitting together with my friends at Night around a fire. Flammen = Fire. And I always wanted to create some kind of Cult in a very deep and intense way! So, that was the beginning of “Flammenkvlt”. It sounds a bit hackneyed, but I for that my feelings are very intense. 


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?


The Artwork is called “Dr. Death” from “A Book of Hours” printed in the 16th Century. I was searching for a Cover Art that could represent the Idea of “Zeitenwende”. Mankind leads somehow to illness, crime and death to nature and our world. 


6.After the pandemic ends, are there any plans for live shows?


M.M.: No, no really plans right now. But we hope to play live. 




7.The ep is going to be released on ‘Analog Death Squad’, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?


The Tapes are released via Analog Death Squad. The Vinyl will be released via my own company AmazingOne Entertainment. Analog Death Squad is an American Sublabel from Mospharic Recording Limited, that is specialized on special Editions for extreme music in Cassettes and CD´s. Go on their site and buy their shit! 

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


Great! We are nearly sold out! Everyone who listened is convinced by the music and songwriting and love the vocals. People fucking love the Songs! 



9.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


We conduct negotiations with a bigger label. It depends how those negotiations will end. Besides I already work on new material for a full -length Record. The ones who know me can expect that there will be Differences to the EP. I always search for better, bigger, more interesting riffs. 



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


A.S.:  I was inspired by 90ies death/black metal like Morbid Angel, Emperor, Enslaved, Death, Deicide, and Marduk for example, but more as a songwriter and in terms of singing technique. Emperor and Deathspell Omega inspired me in the way how to write lyrics. Nowadays, it depends on the situation and the mood I am in to what style of music I listen. There is a lot of stuff like Kristine, Fleetwood Mac, Toto, Havukruunu, old Sacramentum, Primordial, Amesoeurs and occasionally more brutal stuff like Distaste, Hail of Bullets, Deathcode Society or old Deicide and Marduk records.


M.M.: Since I listened to music, good, well done and opulent Songwriting Style make me happy and music listenable. So, it doesn´t matter if this is Metal in any kind, Pop, Rock… Nowadays it hasn´t really changed. It depends on my mood. So, it can happen that I listen to Brutal Death Metal, Old School Black Metal and Queen´s Bohemian Rhapsody nearly at the same time. 


11.What are some of your non musical interests?



A.S.: Besides family, I try to squeeze out as much time as I can for reading, writing, meditation and martial arts.

M.M.: Besides Family and work I nearly always write songs in many directions, I try to play tennis and I am an open-swimmer (The whole year round!) Meeting with my friends, whom I know for more than 30 years now is a must, but in the pandemic not always possible. 


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 


A.S.: KONX OM PAX

M.M.: Take care and Rock on! 


No comments:

Post a Comment