Thursday, March 14, 2013

Frostmoon Eclipse Interview


Answered by Claudio Alcara (Guitars) and Gionata Potenti (Drums).

1) Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
(Claudio) We are working on a couple of new songs meant for different split releases on vinyl as well as preparing for the next gigs. A new album is also in the making, so I am going through the new songs we’ve roughly recorded so far, trying to see what needs to be changed… Songwriting is not an exact science, unluckily.

2) How would you describe the musical sound of the newer material and how it differs from previous releases?
(Claudio) I guess it’s all about personal phases you go through… Different times, different approach… I think these two new songs we just recorded, when released, could be a reliable mirror of the new album’s direction.

3) What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer release?
(Claudio) Main inspiration is and will always be all that is negative around and inside us.

4) What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
(Claudio) Let’s be honest, that came back from the 90s, lyrics off of an Immortal song. This may kind of take some magic away, but the 90s actually were the real magical window of time for black metal, so this makes sense.

5) What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
(Claudio) We are old enough to have a “no bullshit” attitude, so we just go on stage and play. I have good memories of our latest gigs in Romania, Portugal and Belarus, big festivals and great crowds. But I guess the other guys may choose different ones as well. Even touring Europe with Somrak and Corpus Christii was a cool experience as a whole.

6) Do you have any touring plans for the future?
(Claudio) We’ll see about that day by day. Usually, when you think too much about the future, something wicked…
(Gionata) Sometimes it's pretty hard to organize things long in advance because of various reasons, mostly because of our jobs. We’re not that kind of “rich” people that can pay for tours or get 3-4 weeks off to travel all over. Recently we got some interesting offers for next autumn but we’ll see how they go. Actually we have some good small summer festivals in store and we’re focused on them.

7) Over the years the band has been on numerous compilations, do you feel paying tribute to the bands that where huge influences on your band has helped get the name out alot more?
(Claudio) To record someone else’s song is our way to say “thank you”, so I won’t record a cover just to be on this or that tribute album… That very band (or song) has got to have a deep meaning to you, otherwise it’s just unfair.

8)The band has a long history going back almost 20 years, what is it that keeps you motivated to keep going after all these years?
(Gionata) We play music with passion, not for profit or fame so it’s quite difficult to get disappointed or be deluded by what you’re doing. I think this is our basic formula. Quite easy to get into fights with your band mates if you have a target to reach or big money to share.. we basically don’t care and play for the sake of it.

9) Recently the band signed with Osmose Productions, how did you get in contact with this legendary label and how would you describe the support they have given you so far?
(Gionata) I was in contact with the boss since one year before we sent him the master of the album. I already worked with Osmose with another band of mine and I was struck by their professional way of doing things and I asked them for more. He he... fortunately the boss really liked our album and decided to release it on both CD and LP. We’re quite satisfied about everything.

10) On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
(Claudio) I think a big percentage of them guys will never get over our no-facepaint thing.
(Gionata) Our sound is quite hard to understand for people who need the typical average black-metal band, especially the “true” black metallers. We've been playing this music our way since the beginning, trying not to be a copycat of anyone else. Fortunately we found a lot of people who believed in us along the way.

11) What is going on with the other music projects these days?
(Claudio) Sometimes I record songs on my own which are released under “Stroszek” name. Last week I just recorded a couple of covers to celebrate my birthday and that was pretty much it.
(Gionata) I’m working on a lot of stuff lately especially the new album of Kult (Ita) and Acherontas (Gre) as well as preparing some interesting live shows and summer festivals with these bands and Fides Inversa (Ita), another band of mine. Recently I got my copy of the “New World Black Metal” split 7” with Bitter Peace/Esoterica/Krieg/The Many.. I performed drums for Krieg (Usa) for the first time and it was exciting to listen to my drumming on one of my favourite bands of the latest years.

12) What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
(Claudio) I guess (well, I hope) it will reach a clear spot for itself.
(Gionata) No idea.. we've never thought too much about what we were doing or not. We’re quite a genuine band, we never sat down at a table to “decide” what to do or how to follow the trends.

13) What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
(Claudio) As I just told you, we are trying not to copy anyone. I know this may sound pretentious, so let’s just say we’re trying to “filter” through a mid 90s black metal perspective all the “dark” feelings you can get from almost every kind of music. These days I am listening to a lot of soundtracks, mostly from John Carpenter’s movies, as well as Popol Vuh or Keith Emerson.
(Gionata) I personally listen to both old and new bands but none of them is close to what we’re doing. I mean how can Behexen or Funeral Mist be an influence for Frostmoon Eclipse?

14) Outside of music what are some of your interests?
(Claudio) I am always in the mood to read E.M. Cioran books, as well as Werner Herzog’s ones which are as good as his movies: “Conquest Of The Useless” is the nicest thing I’ve ever read. I also like a lot Lars Von Trier’s work.
(Gionata) Probably I have no interests outside of music.. everything is related to that. When I’m not playing I’m writing someone about playing or organizing shows, recording sessions or working on some layouts, web site updates or just taking care of correspondence. I also like to watch movies and spend some times with my girfriend and close friends.

15) Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
(Claudio) Thanx for this space, come see about us on HYPERLINK "http://www.frostmooneclipse.com" www.frostmooneclipse.com and/or HYPERLINK "http://www.facebook.com/frostmooneclipse" www.facebook.com/frostmooneclipse .

No comments:

Post a Comment