Thursday, February 14, 2019

Gårdbuk Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
 I started Gardbuk after listening to raw black metal stuff for a while, I always liked the imagery and themes it often put into your head. I’d done a handful of releases like this that were exclusive to
CDR that I recorded a year or maybe 2 years before I named it Gardbuk. The lyrics usually came from dreams or persistent thoughts of mine.But since that first EP and CD, I lost interest in Gardbuk for the
moment

2.So far you have released one ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?
2.For the first EP, I really wanted to capture that icey sound of black metal guitars and instrumentation. But I still wanted to keep the mix so you could hear the melody and chords of the guitar. The
drums were just casio synth drums. I can’t remember much but I’m pretty sure the vocals were recorded with a modded phone.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with your music?
3.Mostly vampires, I really like music that is themed off of things like that, Twilight themed music is a particular favourite! But I always like it when people fuel their love for franchises into music.
So there are occasional nods to popular vampire films in the lyrics, not very obvious though.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Gardbuk'?
4.Not sure, something to do with Norwegian lore, generic, I know.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?
5.It’s just a screenshot I took on a YouTube video of someone going on a roadtrip to Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Shout out to MetalJesusRocks

6.On the ep you had recorded everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?
6.I love working with other people, it’s just sometimes difficult to find other people. In the past I’ve worked with completely inexperienced ‘musicians’ before, most notably for a project called
Midget Death, which was like a noisecore project I did with a friend from year 11.


7.What are some of the best shows that you have played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

7.I’ve only played one show as Gardbuk, I was playing with a bunch of noise artists, I don’t really do noise anymore; I focus on stuff that I can actually put musical effort into. It’s difficult getting shows
around here.

8.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
8.Obviously I’d like to tour any of my projects, but I do so much different stuff it’d be hard to decide what to tour, crashing open mic nights is the way forward.

9.The ep was released on 'Structured Disasters', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
9.Noise label based in Aylesbury, doing good work for changing the music scene around here, I'm not very involved in it anymore, i don't get much enjoyment out of noise anymore.

10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?
10.No idea, only had a few friends that I know of listen to it. And this review of the EP. I released it with the exact same ethic I release everything else. I don’t really listen to or make black metal
anymore.

11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
11.Probably not for a while with Gardbuk, don’t have the drive to make any black metal right now. But there’s still a CD, which I think is much better than the first EP that I might put online someday. As
for the future, I’m working on lots of different projects right now that I plan to continue, I’m producing and doing verses for a cloud rap project with a friend who I also play in a band called Japanese Role-Playing Game, which is some basic emo jams. My main focus right
now is producing beats and making visuals for the tracks we’ve done so far. I don’t like being elitist about music, I make what I make whether it’s a popular genre or not. I upload the majority of my
useless stuff to https://loneliness.bandcamp.com. Its all random stuff.

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
12.Most lately, DJ Sad Status, Bladee, Lil Xan, Kragle (local breakcore legend), Lil Peep, Ecco2k, The Sundays, Thaiboy Digital. I also love the Malaysian grunge, bands like Auburn and Paint Bucket
deserve a lot more attention.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
13.Yeah, there’s nothing wrong with watching dubbed anime, if you don’t want to read subtitles, you don’t have to. Don’t let the weebs tell you otherwise.

https://structureddisasters.bandcamp.com/album/fantasy-of-dying-lights

No comments:

Post a Comment