Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Fangsylvania Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical project?

Fangsylvania is a Swedish project that I alone am writing and recording music for. I call it vampiric black metal. It is about the art of vampirism and deals with occult and strange symbolism in its lyrics and also hidden in the music for the, in particular, observant listener and practicer of the vampiric arts. "The blood is the life mr Renfield" as Bela Lugosi so adequately put it in Dracula (1931).

2.Recently you have released your first full length, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?

Yes. I wanted to have a raw but solid base and then sprinkled with haunting strings kind following the melodies. It was important to have a haunting atmosphere lingering around the songs. When I say vampiric metal it is not in the vein of bands such as Cradle of Filth etc. That would be a misunderstanding. Possible their earliest work but it was no influence. Necromantia was more an important influence and even made me do one song with the bass playing as rhythm guitar. It is the instrumental song on the album.

3.The musical project was formed this year and already has an album about, do you spend a great amount of time recording and writing music?

Yes that would be a very correct assumption. You couldn't be more right actually! I spend most of the full nights recording and practicing my arts. I seldom go out on the streets. I live in the dark so to speak.

4.The lyrics deal with vampirism, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?

Yes. It all started at a very young age. I think one of the most special moments was seeing Dracula (1931) for the very first time as a child. I think I saw it a hundred times in a row. Something about it spoke to me. Then I understood it was the vampirism and the dark arts that was speaking to me. It made sense. Ever after it has possessed my life and all my choices in life. I spend my time in solitude. Watching the night. Being one with the night.

5.A lot of the music is very heavily rooted in the 90's, do you prefer the classic style over the modern style?

I do not follow what is current so I do not know anything about music after the 90s. I don't know how music would sound any different than the pioneers of metal. If the music has evolved somehow after that, I am not aware of and nor am I interested to find out about it.

6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Fangsylvania'?

It is really a play of words. It came to me on a cold night and got stuck in my head. It is also an anagram with a hidden meaning. It is very powerful. You could say it contains a magic spell in disguise. If you can figure it out, that is great. But I can't say what it is or the spell is being broken. I can not risk that!

7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?

Yes. It is my future home. I will live there one day. Watching the night skies. Pondering about existence and staying in a natural habitat for me. I can not wait to rule from there. It will be a reality one day.

8.On the album you recorded everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

Oh no, I wouldn't know how to work with other people. It is not natural to me. I stay by myself. Watching the night. Not being out in day time. I don't understand how anyone would want to live in other way. No, I can not work with anyone.

9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I don't keep contact with people or try to search labels but anyone is welcome to contact me with an offer.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

I do not really know. What I know is that it has spread out on the internet. On youtube and such. I get an interest. I get people buying the album on bandcamp.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

The only thing mattering to me right now is my music and my future home. Far, far away from human civilization. I will continue my work as always. More music will be unleashed. I have material written for maybe 10 albums ahead. Rest assure!

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I grew up with the 90s black metal. I also like older stuff. Black metal being nr one. Then I also similar genres. Heavy metal, death metal, thrash. But it depends. It has to have the right feel. I think you know what I mean.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I thank you for taking the time with me for this interview. Look out for Fangsylvania now and in the future!

Bandcamp
Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment