Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Death Embrace Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project? For me it is a means to direct my energy, a process that just happens, I enter a trance like state & connect with a dark place, I become the gateway that manifests the sounds, the flow from the other place guides my hands, & really conducts what you hear. That is the simplest way to explain what Death Embrace is really.


 


2.A few months back you also had released a demo, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording? I have always been drawn to heavy music, pounding beats, tribal & ritualistic sounds, so those are aspects that naturally are part of the outcome.


I also think depth & space play a huge part in adding to the sound, like standing at the edge of the world, looking into the abyss & the sheer vastness.


 


3.The lyrics on the demo cover vampirism and left hand path themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the black arts/ The darker aspects of the world have always drawn my attention, at a young age I was able to enter into a deep state of disconnect & explore visions I had, it was like leaving my body & travelling, it always fascinated me how much “other” things are out there that everyday life does not pay attention to. This lead me to discover books on horror, magic, rituals etc as the minds that create those things are also channelling energy form the dark place.


Sound is vibration, words are sound, intention behind the manifestation of the sound is magic, so by creating sounds, chants, beats etc we can create a reaction in those that listen, as I said before I become the gateway – so by joining the flow & rhythm you get a glimpse into the other world this music comes from.


 


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Death Embrace'? It has a few meanings, On a physical level we will all enter into Deaths Embrace, on a spiritual level we can die each day & rebirth as a new person if we so choose.


From when we are born we are always in the Embrace of Death until we close our eyes at the end of our time, it is natural, it can be a cold thing or comforting.


 


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the demo cover? I think the art work plays an important part of the vibe of an album, as it is the visual representation of the work, it should show what is contained within, it should be almost like the sigil of the sound manifestation, I can meditate on the image of an album & get the connection, it can be a portal to that place, that world, dimension.


 


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo? I have played Guitars in various bands from a young age, but never found musicians that had the same drive as I do, never willing to devote the time & energy, sacrifice or give their blood to the process.


I always had material written & knew how things should be, but again the connection on the vision was never really in sync, so I got pissed off & impatient, then decided to learn all the instruments myself so I could create the music I was hearing in my being.


I did have two very good experiences of working with others, a Black Metal band & a Horrorpunk Band, a great creative time but the course of life takes people away & different directions change things.


 


7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for label or have received any interest? I have no interest to sign over any of my creations to anyone else or give up creative control, I will not be dictated to or have someone else urge the creative process from me, it would not be genuine.


I do not understand the whole thing of getting “signed” a record deal etc, to me that is someone playing rock star, once that happens they become a parody of what they were.


Death Embrace is me, it is my energy, my beliefs, my visions, my creations.


 


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal? Those that understand have received it very well, ofcourse everyone has differing tastes, so it will not be to everyones liking, that is fine, If it reaches just one person & inspires them to pick up a guitar, instrument or tool of their creative aspect then it has served its purpose, If someone can lose themselves in the record for a time, explore their mind, develop their connection with the spirit realm, meditate on the atmosphere of it then it is a success.


 


9.Do you also have any experience working with any other bands or musical projects? I have created artwork for the legendary US Black Metal band Ritual, the Epic Sagas album (Vinyl version) & also contributed a piece of art to Abamath (US Black Metal band) which I think he will use on an upcoming release, I enjoy the creative process, working with the artist to give them a piece that they feel they want to represent their work.


 


10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future? Unholy Trinity II is complete, it goes deeper into the darkness, I am excited to let people hear it. I am unsure when I will release this, Halloween seems like a suitable date.


I am always working on something, be that musical, art, writing or most recently I started work on a low budget Horror movie – Gothic, Hammer Horror, Amicus, Tigon inspired.


I am in the process of re-recording the 1st Death Embrace album – it was originally in a more Dark Punk style & with a drum machine, it never sat right with me, so I learned drums & decided to drape the songs in Black Robes & pour more darkness into them, the updating is working very well because the core essence has always been dark.


 


11.What are some of the bands or musical projects that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? Influence definitely comes from Danzig, Samhain, Misfits, Mayhem, Burzum, Black Funeral, Demoncy, early Immortal, Deathspell Omega, Dark Throne, Dissection, Marduk, The Revenants, Wrath Of Killenstein, Thuringwethill, Vampyric Blood, far too many to list.


Most recently I am listening to a lot of Immortal (Battles In The North & Pure Holocaust), Ignis, Judas Iscariot, Varcolacai, Watain, Dark Funeral.


 



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Be true to yourself, to your belief, embrace the dark aspects.

The songs of Death Embrace are spells, magic, gateways, sigils – venture thru & I will see you on the other side.


Blessed Be Thy Blackness


Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment