1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about your musical project?\
1. I'm Angmaer, a Black Metal project from the West Midlands of England. My style is a raw and aggressive type of black metal, with a good amount of emotion and darkness with it too. Inspired greatly by the 90s Scandinavian Black Metal bands as well as bands such as Behemoth, Inquisition and even Wintersun, but yet I add my own personal touch to my music. That's what makes it unique, to me at least.
2.In May you got a full length coming out, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the ep you had released?
2. I'd say the sound is quite a bit more raw than my EP and much less fine tuned. The songwriting though is quite similar to those on my EP, to me it seems like a continuation of it. Nothing has changed within the songwriting greatly.
3.Your lyrics deal with some occult and Pagan topics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?
3. When I started writing lyrics for this album I had been listening to a lot of Enslaved. Mainly their "Frost" album, as well as a lot of Behemoth, Burzum, Graveland and some Týr. The song "The Rebirth of Pagan Lands" was based around the church burnings in the 90s, and what Varg Vikernes described the motive behind his part in that, which was roughly like "Retaking the pagan holy grounds from which the Christians desecrated". It was an interesting topic and I was inspired.
4.I know that the project name comes from Tolkien's Middle Earth, what was it that got your attention to use this as your name for yourself and your musical projects?
4. When I started this project, or at least the idea for the project (Back in July, 2013) I had a fond interest in Tolkien's work, it really had inspired me. Watching The Lord of the Rings and seeing the Witch King Of Angmar got me thinking "Hey, this sounds like an powerful name for a band". But as I saw about 6 other bands had taken the name "Angmar" I decided to just have a little name change. I didn't want to change the name completely so I made it into Angmaer.
5.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, how would you compare working solo to a full time band?
5. I'd say I have complete freedom with no limitations as a solo artist. I like that, especially as my music has quite a personal nature to it. I have the ability to create music that is true to myself freely. Though working with a full time band has it's perks. Playing concerts is one of them, as well as other members having their input into the mix. I do actually want Angmaer to be a full time band in the future, I am still looking for members to join. Though no luck there.
6.On the fb page you had a video where you did a Satanic Warmaster cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?
6. I was clearing out my room and I had found a blank CD with no name on it, I later found out it was of the guitar tracks I recorded to this song a few years ago. When I did record this, I really wanted to finish it but I couldn't. So, I thought I could re-record this tribute, as SW was the first band that got me into black metal.
7.You also have a split coming out with Goatchrist, can you tell us a little bit more about this split and also how would you compare the musical style of the band on the recording to your own musical style?
7. Nothing yet has been recorded for the split as far as I know, but from hearing Goatchrist's previous releases, I'd say that their music has more of a conceptual feel, lyrically and musically. With my music it's more scattered. Song after song with no particular concept. I do have some thrash metal and even classical influences in my riffs and songs.
8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
8. I've had quite a good response, Black Metal fans like it, even non-black metal fans like it. My music is appreciated by people from many places; from South America to Asia. It gives me motivation and a sense of satisfaction knowing that people from all over this earth enjoy the music I create.
9.What is going on with your other musical project 'Eternally Enthroned ' these days?
9. Well, we recently split up due to our own personal problems and musical problems. I wanted to focus more on Angmaer and the drummer (Nevarym) wanted to do more with his Blues/Hard Rock band Militia Inc.
10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
10. Right now, I just see myself as creating album after album until I reach perfection with my music. That is my goal currently. Though I'd love to work with different bands of the extreme metal style in the future and even tour with some.
11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
11. I'd say Dissection, Satyricon, Behemoth, and Bathory influence me the most. I mostly listen to Black Metal and it's various sub-genres. I do rarely explore totally different styles of music as I'm just so taken by the style of black metal. There are always more bands and albums I desire to explore and find inspiration with.
12.What are some of your non musical interests?
12. Besides from music, there isn't much. I've dedicated my life so far to music so I don't spend much time elsewhere. Though, I've got a fond interest of Scandinavia; Norway and Finland especially. Norse and Pagan mythology interests me greatly too. I suppose another thing would be languages. I have great enjoyment with learning new languages and speaking in these languages.
13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any finalw ords or thoughts?
13. Support the underground, share the music and keep this fire burning.