Monday, September 23, 2019

Atra Mors Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?
1 - Nothing special happened after the album was released. I never thought of playing live, besides, given the current formation of the band, it would be difficult to do it.
However, I don't like playing live. I'm interested in focusing on the composition of new material for my various musical projects.

2.Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
2 - The first thing that differs between the new album and the previous productions concerns my technical ability in the composition, which has considerably increased.
Second, I used new equipment in my studio, so I got the sound I wanted, raw but well balanced between the various instruments.
And third, but not least, is Michael's contribution to the voice. He experimented with a very special vocal solution.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore on the new album and also how would you describe your progress  as a songwriter over the years?
3 - I can say that I have matured as a "narrator" of the world around me, both physical and spiritual.
I often read embarrassing lyrics of musicians who really have no idea what they are writing.
Satan, demons, death. Recurrent arguments but described with a disarming banality. Most of these texts are written only to strike the attention of those who listen to music.
Personally, I prefer to write about real personal experiences, my esoteric path and the misanthropy I feel for 90% of human beings.
But I don't want to describe these aspects in detail. Who does not know what I know I would not understand even with the most detailed explanation. Some experiences are so personal that they cannot be explained.

4.You also have some vocals from 'Michael W. Ford of Black Funeral' who has also written plenty of novels dealing with the Left Hand Path is also very well known in that community, do you also have an interest in any esoteric  or occult paths?
4 - As I said before, I have my esoteric path. I knew Michael from both for his music and for the books he wrote.
From this point of view, asking him to interpret my songs was the most sensible choice. I knew he would understand what I had written in the lyrics. And the result is excellent.

5.The band name 'Atra Mors' is also a name shared by other bands in the black metal genre, are you aware of the other bands that also share the same name?

5 - Honestly no. I discovered only later the existence of other bands with the same monicker. But it is not the first time that happens, and this does not matter to me.
This name is perfect for what I have to express through this band, so the rest doesn't interest me.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?
6 - I love being in the midst of nature. I hate big cities and, sometimes, even the small town where I live "is tight".
So I always try to stay in places where the number of other human beings is kept to a minimum.
Every time I can, I walk among the pine forests in the Alps of the Italian north side. And while I walk I take photos. What you see on the cover is one of the photos I took on one of my excursions, slightly modified with Photoshop, to make it more obscure and relevant to the contents of the album.

7.You have some experience playing in solo projects and duo's but would you also be open to working with a full band?
7 - I would say no. In the past I have had different experiences within bands in my area, but none have been rewarding. Unfortunately, and I say this with regret, the modern Italian situation is one of the most deplorable, even from a cultural point of view. Many people have such a closed mind that they cannot see beyond their noses.
It is no coincidence that in other European countries they see us as useless idiots.
So even with the other musicians I didn't have much luck.
I had to deal with dull people, limited to the usual stereotypes, without the desire to go further. So, at one point, I said enough. Over time I learned to play other instruments besides the guitar, and I started to compose all by myself, realizing what most meant to me.

8.You also label your music as being 'cold misanthropic black metal,can you tell us a little bit more about this term?
8 - The term "cold" is used to describe the separation between me and 90% of the people around me, people totally ignorant of the esoteric aspects of existence.
The term "misanthropy" is directly related. A true misanthrope does not hate others just because he is a poor loser who cannot fit into society.
A true misanthrope hates the boundless human stupidity and wants to stay away voluntarily, even at the cost of being alone.
Personally, I have values that I keep alive in my existence, values that most people seem to have forgotten.

9.You also run 'Illuminadi Service', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
9 - The label was born with the intention of producing music that I found interesting, both from myself and from other artists.
In the first period I produced CDs, then I focused on tape cassettes, a format that has returned to being a cult.
Unfortunately the label is destined for closure. Recently I have had very serious family problems and I have had to drastically reduce all secondary expenses, including those for the label.
So, at least for the moment, Illuminandi Service will be closed.
The only thing certain is that I will continue to compose music with my projects. This is a vital need.

10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?
10 - I honestly didn't find many reviews of the albums I made. And in general I can't say what Black Metal supporters think. But I don't even care. I don't need supporters. Those who listen to music for the sake of it must receive an emotional response. The purpose of music is mainly to transport the listener into "parallel worlds", outside everyday reality. Because true music is a reaction force, and those who listen to it must let it enter inside themselves. Supporting someone just for a wrong sense of duty is a stupid thing.
If someone finds satisfaction by listening to my music, good for him. But what interests me is to be satisfied with my work.

11.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?
 11 - The first demo of Nameless Void, an Atmospheric Black Metal project born from the collaboration with RM (Urna, ex- Aphonic Threnody, ex-Arcana Coelestia), was recently released.
Then, by the end of the year will be released the second album of my project Noctu, Funeral Doom for those who like Nortt, Evoken, etc., through Transcending Obscurity Records.
I also have some other projects I'm working on, including Necromist and Nocturnal Convocation.


12.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during that future?
12 - I never make predictions for the future. When inspiration possesses me, I take my guitar, bass, or sit in front of the keyboards and compose. Based on the result obtained, the composition will be assigned to one of my projects. For me the important thing is to let the energy I have flow through the notes.
Nothing else matters...

13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
13 - The golden age of Black Metal and Death Metal are the main inspiration for the framework of my compositions.
But, more generally, it is almost all music that inspires me. Of course, there are genres of music that I really can't appreciate, like pop, Latin-American music and in general all forms of disco music. Instead I really appreciate Blues, Jazz, especially the more experimental variations, Ambient and Drone music, Country music and many soundtracks.
As you can see, I am very heterogeneous, musically speaking.

14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
14 - A message for all those listening: let go of politics and other stupid things that complicate and ruin your life.
Listen to music that conveys real emotions and open your mind to the spiritual world. Continue to fly past the "Dark Gates".
And to all those who have only to criticize, I say: you will fully receive your negative reward. Fuck you all!!!

Facebook
SoundCloud

No comments:

Post a Comment