Saturday, September 4, 2021

Nexus Imperium Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


    We are an atmospheric black metal act from Athens, Greece. Right now it consists of 2 members, "Synapse" playing bass, guitars and synths and "The Apostate" on vocals. The band started as a solo project with the help of a friend on guitars, recording one track back in 2005.


2.Recently you have released an EP, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


   We are obviously engaged in the black metal arts along with some side influences. We explore themes such as the universe and scientific applications on all matter. We are fond of science fiction cinematography and books. We also like electronic sounds, special effects and all similar options the industry has provided us with these years. Hopefully, in our music you can find all these elements blended, manufacturing the final form. Music is something liquid and dynamic. Most of the time we have to put a label so we can recognise what we are listening to, though I think labelling takes something away from the magic of listening.


3.The band has been around since 2005 but waited until 2021 to release any music, can you tell us a little bit more about the long wait?


   Nexus Imperium was formed by me. I then wanted to form a full band. I recorded a song in 2005 and another in 2008. I played guitar and bass and programmed the drums and a friend recorded the second guitar. This demo never saw the light because I used drum machines, something that I didn't prefer doing at the time and there were no vocals either. Additionally I was playing in 2 other bands and was very busy recording albums and playing live shows touring Europe. Though I kept composing material, gathering gear like synthesizers and other stuff for Nexus knowing that one day I was surely going to start releasing music. In 2017 I started working on the E.P and when I had it ready I met our vocalist "The Apostate" and we immediately started working on vocals.


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?


   As I previously said, space is my main lyrical influence. But this is a general description. In this first E.P. one can experience the creation of the universe. When time began. Starting with the occurrence of the big bang, 13.8 billion years ago, we wanted to explore how this event may have sounded and imagine the vortex of events that followed. This universe, created by brutal natural interactions.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nexus Imperium'?


   This I don't want to speak about yet as it is part of a story we want to tell as our discography unfolds.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?


   The artwork is a co-creation of two great artists I have the privilege of knowing, Giannis Nakos and Lukas Spanos and I totally left them to their own devices to create. We discussed the lyrical theme I used and after that, it was all them. So what I previously said about the lyrical theme of the E.P. is what you see in the artwork.


7.Currently there are only 2 members in the band. Are you open to expanding the line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?


   Right now the two of us can do the work just fine. I have not any plans for live shows yet. I think it will be difficult to recreate what I have in mind in a live show. Though I don't want to close these doors either because you never know. I mean expanding the line up as you said. Maybe a good drummer shows interest in participating or a guitarist. For the E.P, I had to find a session drummer and he did a fine job but to participate in the albums as a standard member is a whole different story and most session musicians don't have the time for this dedication.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


   There are a couple of labels I cannot name yet which showed interest in releasing our material though we are still discussing it. 


9.On a worldwide level, how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


   We all know that these days if you want your music to reach more people you have to rely on PR agencies or have a friend present your work in promotional black metal youtube channels. Some people also believe that you must be part of a certain ideological group to have your music exposed to more people. Nexus Imperium prefer the old school way. Do you like our music? Just review it. You happened to catch the feel of the band? We will understand it by the way you reviewed the music. Therefore I can say that fans or zines worldwide that happened to catch the music, responded in an amazing way. We thank them. 


10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


   We have some nice surprises for people that like our music in the future. From physical stuff to musical stuff we have planned to expand the universe of Nexus Imperium's point of view. We want to tell a story about the evolution of species and its relationship to nature through all our albums. I just can't say more but expect some interesting soundspaces from this project.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


   Since I was a child, synthesizers were a musical instrument I was very fond of. Musicians like Jean Michel Jarre, Klaus Schulze, synth-based movie soundtracks of the 80's and 90's triggered my imagination. Also classical music in sci-fi movies like Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams or mixed synths and classical music like Brad Fiedel and Vangelis were all on the influence table of my mind. I was creating whole pictures and scenes in my mind just by listening to this type of music. So I wanted to use this music in one of my projects. Nexus seemed the most suitable soil to host such elements. On the other hand nature is brutal. Black metal is extreme and brutal music that I also like very much. Bands like Thorns, Mayhem, Blut Aus Nord, Dodheimsgard are some of my favorites. I inevitably am influenced by these bands.


12.Does Occultism play any role in your music?


   No.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


   Thank you for hosting an interview and expect the unexpected from Nexus Imperium in the future.

https://nexusimperium.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.instagram.com/nexusimperium/
https://www.facebook.com/Nexus-Imperium-109764188009330
nexusimperiumbm@gmail.com
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nexus_Imperium/3540490239

No comments:

Post a Comment