Thursday, June 2, 2022

Warren Of Chaos Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


Warren of Chaos is the beginning of what I feel is the last stage of my music endeavors. Acoustic guitar brings back lots of memories of growing up. From learning with a friend using tabs, to playing at campfires at parties. I always made music, released it, then deleted it. I was never satisfied with my clean vocals. I enjoy high pitch screams, so I wanted to incorporate them into my acoustic creations to hopefully create a unique experience.


2.Recently you have released a new album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


I wanted a rough, but light feeling. Somewhere in between light and dark. Some of the music sounds more positive, or melodic. I feel it represents the chaos that is in my mind, struggling between keeping hope and losing it.


3.With this project you also record everything acoustic, what was the decision behind going into this direction?


I feel a connection to the sound. I wrote a song once years back that was simple in structure, but one of my old girlfriends said it was my best creation. I kind of wanted to capture the same simplicity. It almost feels barren, but says a lot.


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with this project so far?


I cover a lot of doom and gloom when it comes to my mental state. Regret, self hate, lack of understanding of life. Drugs and depression. And then there is Cocaine Babe, which I wrote for my last girlfriend. 


5.I know that the projects name comes from Steve Erickson's 'Malazan Book Of The Fallen', can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this series?


This is one of the most fascinating pieces of literature I have ever read. The complexity is more than enough to keep me interested, and the way they cast magic blows my mind. They use "warrens". For instance the Warren of Chaos, to manipulate the energy to cast. Or enter the warren and explore the world it is... Some warren have gods and ascendants. I could go on and on.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


I wanted it to represent insanity in a way. Very rough drawing with a kind of "The Scream" essence to it. Blood on the E minor chord, although at this current time I cannot remember if I even used E minor on the album. Mind is lost in my next project.


7.With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience working with full line up's, which one do you prefer?


I prefer working with myself, as things don't always seem to line up or work out when you are in a group in my personal experience. I have full control over everything right now and I enjoy that.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


I am currently doing this as a hobby alongside working at a restaurant so I am not currently looking for a label. None have shown interest, although if one were to, I would be interested in talking with them. I would definitely put more time into making larger albums, as my next project is only 7 songs as well.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


I have had a few people say the thought it was interesting. A couple said they enjoyed it. Close friends said it was good but those are always biased opinions even if they say they are being legit in my opinion.


10.Are you currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?


I am not currently involved in any other projects, I just recently finished a project with my last girlfriend. Moved on from that to start this.


11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I have had it drilled in my head to only do this as a hobby, so I just plan to keep releasing 7 song albums as a way to vent. Kinda like a free therapy. If people listen, that's great. I will always try to improve my production and writing skills.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


None, Sunken, Agalloch. Those three bands kind of inspired me to even try to do these type of vocals. Not so much a direct influence on my style as they have a lot of electric guitars and such. I am listening to a lot of Harakiri for the Sky and Perturbator currently.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


The sun never rises or sets. It's all perspective. Also I appreciate your time. Take care, everyone.

Bandcamp: https://warrenofchaos.bandcamp.com/album/agony-acoustice
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hairlocklives/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpfaImIoGohuCVHrMP3fblA
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/warrenofchaos
Lyrics: https://genius.com/artists/Warren-of-chaos

No comments:

Post a Comment