Thursday, June 30, 2022

Damnation Prayer Interview

 

 1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


-Damnation Prayer is formed few years back in Helsinki, Finland, by the ideas I had for songs. I made some demo for one song and realized that the material didn't fit for already existing bands material. After I did few demos more, I started to sketch up Damnation Prayer as a band in my head, and asked if Serpentifer could play the drums for these songs, and Kaosbringer to do the vocals. We were talking with few members more, but I thought that it might be easier to do this album with minimalistic crew, and if needed to play live, then we will take those few extra hands among us.


2.Recently you have released your first full length, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


- With this album, I think I was more inspired by the violent atmosphere of early Funeral Mist, Antaeus and Katharsis, and also mystical part of early Deathspell Omega. Not trying to sound like those bands, but I'm sure one can hear some similarities here and there.


3.All of the band members also have a long history play in some well known black and death metal bands in Finland, what is it that you bring into the music of 'Damnation Prayer' that you are not able to do with your other groups past or present?


- I could have done these songs also with Perdition Winds, but the material would have been bit different, by the song structures and length, and also by keyboards and choirs that we don't have so much with Perdition Winds. Also then the material would have been more open to other members ideas and opinions, and I wanted to do these songs just the way I had these in my mind. So the best thing to do was to do this as a completely new band.


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?


-Chaos, Famine, Pestilence, Death... Those are the few symbols of warfare and annihilation. And those are few of the themes of these songs. All those are things that comes after religions steps in.


Si vis pacem, para bellum.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Damnation Prayer'?


- For me it was the simple idea of praying for eternal destruction and damnation for this only race that destroys everything it touches, and that's why also the album theme is war, pestilence, death, etc. since those are  the Forms  that this damnation will manifest to us. I'm sure people who will lead us into total annihilation will do it in the name of religions.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


- Well there is an altar with symbols of death and war. Skull, bones, daggers. Also something more spiritual that you use with rituals, as chalice and candles. There is a religious madonna-kind of figure praying there with her eyes bleeding, and having the saints halo around her head. So the cover is symbolising all these things that are as theme of the album. That religious figure is having blood ritual, and same time she is the saint, but is also praying the damnation for the world. Kind of paradoxal lucifer effect.


7.Has the band done any live shows or open to the idea?


- Not so far, but we are open for idea of live shows. It just need to be something that gives something for us too. We are not any young guys anymore, so playing crappy gigs and drinking beer is not enough these days. The atmosphere is important, and also the other bands that are playing.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


- Yes, we are unsigned, and no, we are not looking for label. Mainly  there is just a few label that I am interested to work with, because I know how they work and that they are more into Black Metal and the ideology behind it, and not just for the money. I have talked with few labels, some of them have been interested  some are not. By bandcamp there is every week coming some offers that sounds more like a scam. "Pay me some money and I will release your album and also will give some copies for you too..."

That shit might work for some teenagers who just want to get album out no matter what. We have all been playing on several albums in last two decades, so getting album out by some label doesn't mean a shit to us. I know I might be annoying to work with if I have some idea how things should be, and most of the labels like to make some money with releasing albums, and it is understandable, since it's your business, and you are making your living out of it. That's why think that many labels doesn't want to do things my way, since they don't make very much money by my way.

I was thinking that maybe instead of doing few years lot of work by composing music, writing lyrics, recording the whole thing, making art and all for the album... Maybe I could try a different path, than giving all this work to some label and getting just some CDs and vinyl's as return of it. Maybe I could try releasing it by myself and handling all things by myself, and see how it goes. Maybe I will get something more on return of my work. Maybe not. Maybe I will learn to respect some labels more of the work they do. Maybe not. Only thing that is sure  is that this way I will get everything the way I want it, and if something goes wrong, I can't blame the label.

Still, I'm a bit curious, so I have contact few labels just to get their opinion about what would they maybe offer or maybe if they are interested in the future. I'm still going to release this album as CD and Vinyl myself under the name Unholy Art Records. But who knows, maybe I get bored after this, or by some  other reason want to release next album by some one else. So I definitely like to know if somebody is interested. Just to know my options in future.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


- Reactions have been good and only positive. So far I have only heard good feedback, but I'm sure there is someone always who hates it. Still, kind of early to say, since this has only been out one month, and only on internet.


10.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?


- Well, that's a long list if I would tell everything separately. So let's just say that something new is boiling under every pot. New albums are coming out in near future by almost every active band that we have, and some gigs also. There has been talking about some short touring in europe also again after this corona episode, but I'm always sceptic with those talks, untill the flights  has been booked. So (maybe) busy days ahead.


11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


- So far I'm satisfied the way we are, so at the moment I see only the same path ahead. No need to do any copy of this album, but I'm sure it will have it similarities.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


- well, I like 80's and 90's Black Metal more than almost anything that has come after 2000.

Early Venom, Bathory, Darkthrone, Impaled Nazarene, Masters Hammer, Burzum, Mayhem, Beherit, etc. were really important for me. And still are. All those bands has one common thing, and that's that their later work doesn't speak to me at all. Only exeption is Beherit, but even that is not so good as it used to be. I think the best bands for me from last 20 years has been Nifelheim, Katharsis, Funeral Mist, Clandestine Blaze, Deathspell Omega, Antaeus, MGLA ( except the last album didn't work for me at all. For me it was pretty boring), Culted des Ghoules... Feels like there is too much stuff coming all the time, hard to keep up.

Still, Motörhead rules over all.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Best way to get contact with band is to send email damnationprayer@gmail.com. All mails will be answered, unless you are some Jose from portugal and wanting to sell us some crappy digital art for albums and shirts, or if you are some manjana-man from Brazilian guitar magazine who wants to put us on some compilation cd whit shitty interview by easy few hundred euros fee. You fuckers can go suck your mothers smelly vagina.

Also CD will be out in early autumn and Vinyl end of the year, so all interested parties can ask your copy straight from the band.


And for final words, Remember, that Death Comes as Liberation!



No comments:

Post a Comment