Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Hadiqat Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

1. Hadiqat is magical realism black metal. Literary influences are writers like Italo Calvino, Julio Cortázar and Jorge Luis Borges. Musically I'm inspired by contemporary raw black metal, the more blackened branches of funeral doom, and dark ambient. I play and record everything by myself.


2.So far you have been a part of a split and also have released an ep, musically how do they both differ from each other?


2. The tracks on the "Compendium" split came from two different recordings so they sound quite different, one especially is a lot rawer than the other since I was further experimenting with various effects. The demo is clearer in sound and I also used a synth organ for the last dark ambient piece.


3.Your lyrics are inspired by the writings of Italo Calvino and Julio Cortlazar, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in their work?

3. I've been interested in magical realism ever since I read "Final del juego" by Julio Cortázar. From there I read most of his other works and moved on to other authors in this literary genre, as I said above, Calvino and Borges especially. Calvino's "Invisible Cities" is my favorite book of all time and much of Hadiqat revolves around it conceptually. Eutropia and Procopia (one of the two songs on the "Compendium") are two fictional, surreal cities described in the book.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Hadiqat'?

4. Hadiqat means "garden" in Arabic. I think it sort of fits the magical realism concept of the project.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

5. The artwork represents an inhabitant of the fictional city of Eutropia as I imagine them, with a darker twist on the city described by Calvino.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open  to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

6. I would like to keep on doing everything by myself. Maybe reserving some guest spots for some parts in the future. I would like to collaborate with some of the guys of the Xenoglossy roster, like κενός from Sacrilegious Crown for example.


7.So far very little is known about the solo project, are you planning on expanding your presence in the future or do you prefer to keep a lower profile?

7. I'm definitely keeping a low profile and a certain anonymity behind it in the future too.


8.A few months back you where a part of a huge split. what are your thoughts on the other bands or projects that participated on the recording? 

8. Every project on the "Compendium" is rather unique and peculiar and I also liked the fact we managed to have a cohesive theme throughout the release. My favorite is probably Orrery, I would like to hear more of that. I loved their 90s black metal sound and the lyrics to "Crimson Hexagon" are very evocative, the last two verses especially: "Away from these valleys, the empty earth stretches out to the horizon".


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black and doom metal?

9. The split garnered a bit of attention I noticed, probably because of the unusual concept tying the songs together and for featuring all new and previously unknown bands. Hopefully it will be the same for "Eutropia".


10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

10. I would like to expand on the foundations laid out on the demo and the "Compendium" tracks. I'm working on a full length at the moment together with a couple of other tracks for EPs or splits. The full length is probably coming out next year.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

11. My label companion Sacrilegious Crown is a big influence as you can hear from the demo material. The bands from the Perverse Homage circle and the Portuguese raw black metal scene are big influences as well.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

12. Thank you for the interview opportunity and everyone who supported the demo and the "Compendium".


Thanks again for the questions and regards,

No comments:

Post a Comment