Sunday, September 13, 2026

Snaga Interview

 1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?




Absolutely. Snaga came about from a deep need to create something that I could pour my musical and artistic interests into, while also becoming a mirror held up to myself and the society that I live in over time. 




The first demo, “Where Torches Fear to Cast a Flame,” was more or less an exercise in learning how to record and mix black metal. It’s extremely raw, unprofessional, and painfully noisy in its production. I love it. It represents a start of something, and I feel a growing fondness for it.




During the writing process of my first EP, “NO SHAME/NO HOPE,” I found myself in a very depressive state. The state of the world, and the people who inhabit it, began to feel like a satire of humanity in so many ways. In coping with this, Snaga became more than making songs about horror and mysticism. Although there are songs on that EP and the following one that deal with the fantastical, it is counterbalanced by the things in our own world that both terrify and disgust me.




2.A few months back you released a new ep, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?




Musically, I feel like it is really a continuation of the style found on “NO SHAME/NO HOPE.” A lot of the same lyrical themes are there, as well as a barrage of tremolo-picking, harsh noise, and vocal effects. The biggest departure would be the title track. I have never made a song that pushed the 10-minute mark before. 




3.Some of your lyrics cover the writings of Robert E. Howard, can you tell us a little bit more about your interst in his work?




I have always had a deep fondness for old dark fantasy and horror. Robert E. Howard wrote stories that feel similar to that of H.P. Lovecraft. While the protagonists in Lovecraft’s work often spiraled into madness while dealing with unknowable horrors, Howard’s character Conan had a much much blunt solution at times: stick it with a broadsword.




And while that is not a philosophy I tend to follow in my day to day life, it does make for a good read. 




The world that Conan lives in has the feel of a very, ancient and forgotten past. I can’t help but be inspired to make music about forgotten, moss-covered ziggurats filled with horrors from a bygone age. I feel like it is a perfect backdrop for this genre.




4.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have explore so far with the music?




When I am not writing about the fantastical, my lyrics tend to land on a deep cynicism involving humanity. It feels like every year we trust less and hate more. I can’t help but feel like there are people who are profiting off of creating a severe discordance within us. Technology is advancing so rapidly that our brains cannot keep up with it, and it seems like for all the good it can do, it has also changed the way our brains work drastically. There is a severe lack of empathy these days, and many people seem to forget that people are real, not just ephemeral objects to be ridiculed online.




To quote John Carpenter’s masterpiece, “The Thing,” - “Nobody trusts anybody now, and we’re all very tired.”






5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Snaga'?




Upon making a black metal project, I went the tried-and-true (and cliche) route of giving it a named derived from Tolkien’s work. I understand that has been done endlessly, but I view the name as a nod of respect to the genre’s roots.




In the Orc’s language, Snaga means “thrall” or “servant”. This latest EP opens with the song “Algorithmic Thralldom,” which is fitting. 




6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?




It is piece of art called “Morella” by Harry Clarke from 1919. It was used in the publication “Tales of Mystery and Imagination” for the Poe story of the same name. 




I love looking at old, public-domain pieces of art. It’s like finding forgotten relics, buried in time. Stumbling across this piece, I was immediately taken by both the intricate beauty and underlying melancholy  portrayed in it. I found its aura perfect for the music that I was creating at the time. 




7.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?




There is only one other person I would ever feel comfortable with in helping to create something under the Snaga name. We had previously worked together for years on a different project, and I was always amazed by his capability to write and play drums. I would approach his with a song, having my own idea of a drum part in my head, and he would absolutely subvert my expectations in the best of ways.




Fortunately, him and I are in talks about him getting on board with this project, and I truly hope I will have his expertise on all future releases. 




Snaga is something I am very protective of, but if anyone could tap into the vision and expand upon my ideas, it’s him. 




8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?




I have always been a fan of the DIY aspect when it comes to creating music. I don’t mind being self produced and without a label. It allows me to take my time and create the art that I truly want to make without any unwanted outside influence.




If I did sign to a label, it would have to be small and independent. I have no desire to try to appeal to a larger audience while sacrificing my vision. 




9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?




I have received emails from a few fans across the world, and I am still shocked that it reached them, let alone that they enjoyed it. I never expected anyone to hear this music, especially in places so far from home.




Most of the reaction seems to be positive, but there have been a few negative ones. Both are fine! I would be worried if every black metal fan unanimously liked Snaga. Any negative responses that I read or hear are always fully welcomed. I’m glad that it made you feel something!




10.Are you also involved with any other bands or musical projects?




I am currently in another musical project as well as many past ones. However, I am trying to keep this project as anonymous as I can in this day and age, so I will respectfully pass on commenting about them for now.




11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?




I am in the writing process of what I hope turns out to be a full length album. My work-life starts slowing down in the winter time, and that gives me a lot more time and space to write and record. 




I am hoping for an early 2027 release near the end of winter.




As to where I see myself heading as a musician? Hard to say, as I never even expected to be here as one! It is my hope that I will continue this project as long as I am able to, and that there will always be a few people in this world happy to hear it.




12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?




Enslaved and Paysage d’Hiver are always fountains of inspiration for me. Enslaved with their ability to put out consistently great releases, and Paysage for having the ability to put me in a meditative trance while listening. 




Currently, a lot of dungeon synth is in my rotation. Mortiis, Radagast, and Warlock Corpse have pretty much been a constant during my quiet hour reading and contemplating these days.




Ulver’s “Lyckantropen Themes” also deserves a shout out. That is a perfect ambient album, in my eyes.




13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 




Just my thanks to you for the interview, and the reader for their time. Thanks to all for supporting the underground.

https://snagablackmetal.bandcamp.com/album/in-the-grey-apparel-of-ghosts

No comments:

Post a Comment