1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
1. Abazagorath has a new self titled Ep out now and available through NoVisible scars records. Abazagorath is currently rehearsing for our live east coast assault for the month of April and will continue on writing our next Full length album entitled "The Satanic Versus".
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the newer material and how it differs from previous releases?
2. The sound was intended to draw influence from all different micro genres of black metal (and some other forms of metal as well) to keep things as fresh and with as much variety as possible. The guitar playing utilizes all different black metal guitar techniques and riffs found in all these different genres and countries. A lot of bands in black metal past and present will stake their entire sound one particular technique but the riffs on this E.P. utilizes all of them. There a lot of variety in the tempos, instrumentation, atmosphere, and sound.
In comparison with the past releases, the new E.P. is more varied in overall sound and is a step forward in terms of melody, technicality, darkness,The sound incorporates elements from all the past releases, such as the atmosphere of "Tenebrarum", the aggressiveness and brutality of "Sacraments," and the maturity of "Ancient Entities," but has its own identity and feel that is different from all of them. The overall mood is in general darker and more unsettling, but also filled with parts that tend to stick with you more than the riffs on the older releases.
3. I have noticed over the years the music has gotten more melodic and guitar driven over the years, what made the band decide to go more in that direction?
3. It is mostly due to changes in the lineup throughout the years, which have been frequent over the course of the bands history. Having different musicians on each of our releases gave each album its own unique sound .More recent members of Abazagorath, such as Maelstrom (2006),Ciemnosc (2004), have more of a melodic and theory-based technique in their guitar and songwriting so the newer releases are a reflection of that. But it is also due to a desire from all the bands members to create and release music that is constantly fresh and constantly taking things a step forward. Abazagorath is a band that has never done the same album twice and we have always been looking for ways to advance and improve our sound while still retaining the fierce, hateful, uncompromising attitude that has defined Abazagorath throughout our career.
4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
4.Maelstrom: They lyrical concepts on the new E.P. stemmed from a desire of Nyarlathotep and myself to have deeper, smarter, more philosophical, more realistic and more original lyrics than what is found in most of black metal. The result is a lyrical journey that is darker and more haunting in it's realism but also more epic on the grander scale of things. For example the lyrics of "The Antigod" explores the frightening possibility of scientific experimentation creating a chemical reaction that not only brings the end of life and existence but that erases and undoes all past occurrences that happened throughout time such as thoughts had and emotions felt. In "Lapse" we explore the possibility of a ghost being a time lapse, reliving its death over and over and over again throughout the scope of time. These were concepts much scarier to me than "demons attacking to bring the apocalypse" or whatever the standard black metal lyrics are nowadays.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
5.Over the years Abazagorath has performed numerous live rituals with well known and respected bands such as ENSLAVED,MARDUK, DEICIDE, IMPALED NAZARENE, DESTROYER 666, ENTRHONED, PROFANATICA, HELL MILITIA, ANTAEUS, ANCIENT, DEMONCY, BLACK WITCHERY, KRIEG, INQUISISTION, BAHIMIRON, GOREPHOBIA, NUN SLAUGHTER,GRAND BELIALS KEY, VITAL REMAINS just to name a few.
With the new lineup our best show to date would have to be the PROCLAMATION, BLACK WITCHERY show we did last August in Brooklyn NY, even though we had a 12 min set (due to technical difficulties and some other bullshit) we left the stage with fans looking for another fix of the drug that is ABAZAGORATH.
When we perform live we dont fuck around with useless babble we are there for one reason and one reason only to bring total chaos and pure fucking mayhem leaving the crowd wanting more. What you hear on our recordings is what you will hear live we are not a studio edited band.
6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
6.We will be doing some shows in April Baltimore 7th, Syracuse 14th and Boston 28th. I have some US tours offered for the West coast but have nothing set in stone at the moment. I would also like to do some festivals as well in late 2012 or early 2013. We did 12 days in Europe in 2004 with Demoncy, and Krieg and would love to play for those crazy fuckers again. Our response from the European crowds were phenomenal.
7. Currently you are singed to No Visible Scars how did you get in contact with this label and how would you describe the support that they have given you so far?
7.Actually Diabolist Services was originally supposed to put this out as a CD first and then on vinyl. But Kevin fell to some hard times because of the economy and was unable to meet our deadline. I gave him as much time as possible but could not wait any longer. We cant thank Kevin enough for helping Abazagorath getting this EP recorded. Dont be surprised to see this re-released on vinyl in the future. So longtime metal brother, friend and Abazagorath fan Bill Connolly wanted the opportunity to put this out on his label even before hearing the material. Bill and I worked together well and were able to get this completed and out prior to the original release date. Hail Bill Connolly and NoVisible Scars records.
8. On a worldwide level how has your newer material been recieved by black metal fans?
8. We have got nothing but positive reviews of the new material from different parts of the world but the release has only been out for a week. If you are a fan of Black metal or extreme metal in general you will not be disappointed with this release.
9. When can we expect a full length album and what direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
9.The new full length is already written but only 4 new Hymns are completed. Musically the sound is similar to the newest EP but prepare yourselves because I believe this will be Abazagoraths best work yet. We are shopping for a label to release this material so if anyone is interested contact me through our Facebook page www.facebook.com/Abazagorath666
10. What is going on with the side projects these days?
10 As far as side projects myself I have been playing drums with Metal Blade recording artists Ipsissimus and I do some session work for Beltane. Nyarlathotep has been doing (Evoken, Funebrarum) Maelstrom (Abysmal Gates) Ciemnosc (Abysmal Gates and The Ciem show) My main focus has always been and always will be ABAZAGORATH.
11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have influenced the music of the newer material and also what are you listening to nowadays?
11. There is no doubt we have been influenced by early 90's Norwegian, and Swedish black metal and even some old school US Death and thrash metal. The new EP has been compared to great bands such as Dissection, Marduk,Satyricon, and Immortal. What I have currently in my CD player is Venom (Welcome To Hell) Death (Leprosy) Sodom (Persecution mania) Darkthrone (Blaze In The Northern Sky) Impaled Nazarene ( Tol Cormpt Norz Norz) Slayer (Hell Awaits)
12. How would you describe your views on Satanism, Occultism, Paganism and Anti Christianity?
12. If Nihilism and Pessimism had their own church I would join.I find little to agree with as far as what is represented by the Judeo- Christian ideology and especially how it is practiced. Hypocrisy and corruption seem to be the standards upon which most religious groups are run. I do have faith in the fact that I have no faith in man or god.
13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
13 Working a full time job and having a family I really have no time for anything but Abazagorath and (a little herb or should I say a lot of herb) so playing drums and abazagorath rehearsals keeps my disturbed mind sane. As far as the other guys I cannot answer this question.
14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
14. Thanks for the support and interview. Abazagorath is back in full force and out to prove why we are one of the first true USBM bands. Pick up the new EP from NoVisble scars. New shits are being pressed as well so contact Abazagorath through our facebook page if your interested. Beware the second coming of ABAZAGORATH. AS DARKNESS FALLS WE ARISE.