1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
The band has now released the 3rd full length album titled “Ad libertatem per mortem” with War productions and have started promoting it. At this point we are making plans for further promoting the album.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from your previous releases?
The sound of the new album is a mix of oldschool grim Black metal and melodic atmosphere. The band has taken some steps forward, the music and production has matured without losing the Black metal mentality and style but we always try to keep the level of interest high in every one of our songs .
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?
The lyrics are all written by Ame except for to songs. They are based on Mythology ,war and personal issues on religion and everyday views of life.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Mortuus Caelum is Latin for Dead sky , the direction that we have been led to live is almost as if we are in captivity and can only do as we are commanded very little is left to our own free will, looking up to the sky we rarely see it blue as we should but dead and meaningless.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
The band rarely does live shows as the mentality of our band focuses on recordings and making music .We are not negative on playing live shows but its not what we choose to do. We always enjoy shows where the audience feels the music and becomes one with the band.
6. Do you have any touring plans for the new release?
At this point there are no plans on touring or playing live because I live in Greece and Geegor (Drummer,producer) lives in Bulgaria. Under these conditions it is very hard for us to play any shows. We are going to begin working on new ideas for a new release soon and as I said earlier the true meaning of Mortuus caelum is focusing on making music and less on touring and live shows.
7. On a worldwide level how has your new material been recieved by black metal fans ?
It is very early for us to say how the album has been received as it was released on the 2nd of January. The first reactions that we know of are very encouraging and we believe that the album will be received well in the future.
8. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
The music will always reflect the bands beliefs, the old school black metal mentality will never change but the music will continue to mature as we do. Experience is starting to build with us and we feel the urge to always play good music first for us and then for all the people that support the band. Mortuus caelum is a way to express our needs and beliefs through our music and the genre of our music will always be Black Metal.
9. What bands or musical styles have influenced your newer material and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Our basic influences are Burzum, Venom, Bathory, and Satyricon bands by witch we grew up with and will always be a part of our music. These days i listen to Burzum the “Fallen” album, Tsjuder “legions helvete” ,Kampfar “mare”a lot and two Greek bands that have released very good stuff Necrohell with the “Carpathian nights” album and Ravencult with the “Morbid Blood” album both bands are very promising for the future.
10. What role does Satanism, Occultism and Anti Christianity play in your music and how would you describe your views on these topics?
Religions don’t have basic roles in our music or in our lives so we don’t really deal with these kind of topics in our music,there may be references in lyrics but the basis of our music is not on religion of any kind or form. We prefer to channel our feelings and disgust of the world through our music not in a political way but more in an individual point of view. Everybody has the right to believe whatever they, want we don’t care what they believe in.
11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Music is our basic interest and all our energy is channeled into making music.
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
we would like to thank you for this interview and supporting the band.
Keep the black metal fire alive … under a dead sky