Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Anti-Freeze Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?
I have been very busy with my bands as of late however some projects are starting to slow down or take a hiatus so it has allowed me to focus more on writing solo music. I plan on releasing a couple splits with some local bands, an EP in the next coming weeks, and possibly begin work on a new album for next year.

2.How would you describe the musical sound of the current music?
I write very melodically and all of my music since the beginning has been focused on that. I like to usually define my sound as being contemporary black metal mixed with early second wave Scandinavian, punk, and atmospheric.

3.In the beginning you played folk punk and noise but have over the years have evolved into more of an atmospheric black metal style, what was the decision behind going into this musical direction?
I lost interest in folk punk to be honest and for the longest time I thought that punk was my scene. It still is to a degree but I began playing music through metal and I listen to metal way more than anything else so it's only suitable that I would make music based on that. I started the transition when I was supposed to make a collaborative folk black metal album with someone and it didn't work out so I just used those songs for what became my black metal debut 'Aftermath'

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
I write about a lot of topics but most are concerned with violent revolution, suicide, fear, and self-loathing.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Anti-Freeze'?
It's kind of a stupid name but it stuck so I'm not changing it. My real name is "Preston" and over here we have a brand of anti-freeze called "Presto". My music teacher in high school used to call me anti-freeze because of this so I just kept it. In hindsight, I wish I could have picked something more creative but that's how things go sometimes.

6.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, are you open to
working with other musicians or do you prefer working solo?
As Anti-Freeze I'm very reluctant to include other musicians. I do enjoy collaborating but it's very difficult to play on my own ideas with other people. I play all of the instruments so I can do it all myself. Someday however I do want to do a live show with my black metal music and I plan on getting the best musicians I know to play for when that happens.

7.What are some of the best shows you have played with this musical project and also how would you describe your stage performance?
I have only performed noise and folk punk live before. Mostly in houses, outside, punk squats, etc. All very laid back and casual stuff. My black metal performance, if it ever happens, will be a special occasion.

8.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
Waiting for the opportunity. Possibly if I get offered, I would figure something out but currently I just want to release music.

9.You have been a part of a lot of splits and compilations as of late, can you tell us a little bit more about the contributions you have made to these recordings and also what are some of the other bands that have been a part of these days?
I have been a part of two awesome anti-NSBM compilations that came out last year as well as a compilation for the blog "Death of a Modernist". More splits with the groups Molly Drag and Hunter-Gatherer are done and just waiting to be physically released. I want to do some splits with other locals and hopefully an overseas band in the future. I'm always open if anyone ever showed interest.

10.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
I would really like to get on a label like Nuclear War Now, Northern Silence, or Season of Mist but it's unlikely I think. In the meantime, I release stuff under my own label. (whygangrecords.com)

11.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
I find that people from other countries show a lot of appreciation and respect for the music. Underground metal is a weird thing to be a part of. Locally I find it difficult to promote music in the metal scene because too many are focused with prog and groove stuff. Maybe it's just North America but I really just don't care for those genres so I often have to reach out on the internet to find fans of black metal or within the punk scene.

12.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?
Anti-Freeze will always be a project that will continue to grow with me so it's never certain that I will be doing exactly the same thing forever. I feel that black metal in some shape or form will always be an integral part because it combines intensity and simple but effective melodies. In the near future though I feel that the music will simply just expand. I'm adding more clean vocals, some low growls, and yells in newer material.

13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
While Darkthrone was probably the first black metal band I listened to, Ulver was one that inspired me to be experimental and ambient. I have been doing ambient stuff for awhile and it's largely because of projects like that. Lately I've been completely amazed by the works of Ghost Bath while continuing to dig up bands like OfDoom or Blasphemy (Real Canadian black metal!).

14.How would you describe your left wing and anarchist views?
If I had to describe myself briefly, I'm more or less an anarchist without adjectives.

To me, anarchism is the most sensible political system. Complete and total freedom from the state and capitalism. In my music however, I don't focus on direct topics because it often comes out corny and a lot of left wing music really bugs me for this reason. There's just way too much elitism  within it's ranks and the worst of it often comes from the biggest hypocrites. Movements can often be discredited entirely because of this and it's poisonous.

15.What are some of your non musical interests?
I'm working on a video game right now that will hopefully be released next year. (thetarioproject.tumblr.com) I'm very excited as it's stories I've held onto since a very young age. It is a retro 16 bit RPG with a science fiction/fantasy twist.

Occasionally I play tabletop RPGs and I do my best to keep up with current events. I'm also into history quite a bit. Other than these things, I can't do much besides music.

16.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
No final thoughts. Thanks for doing this. I appreciate it and everyone who has given the time to read it.

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment