Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Hovert Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new ep?
1. Well everything go their way all the time. Occasionally I work on compose new material, recovering old songs, think on what type of songs fits to full album, or other release. By the way I draw a cover art for following release.

2.In March you had released a new ep, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
2. As I see my previous releases was a bit lifeless because each instrument was recorded separately apart the drums that were recorder life with guitars. It's monotonic to record each track separately and I realised I need a new approach. So I decided to bring life to new EP and record live rehearsal raw and harsh as it is. We rehearsed several times and finally recorded it in a few hours.
Most of all this material was inspired by early raw black metal bands of 90th. I rejected synths also to avoid the soft sound. For now this EP is closest work to black metal genre I've ever done. It's little different but still atmospheric and depressive.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored over the years with your music?
3. Lyrical topics are based on things we're going through, dark thoughts. Song subjects are about nature, death, existential fears, disappointments in life, pointlessness of existence, sort of nihilism. On how humans are total weak comparing to forces of nature. Periodically things like philosophy, poetry, and reminiscences are more interested to me. Almost anything that worry me would be reflected in lyrics.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Hovert'?
4. It was inspired by forces of nature. I always associate thunder and element of air with extreme metal sound, imagine storms and cold winds when play guitar. I get hypnotic feeling of levitation given by music, a feeling of hover above the ground. So I've decided to choose english word "hover" and added "t" to sound it more stronger.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?
5. This cover art made by professional artist, who turned my sketches to this piece of art. I wanted to show fragility of life and the inevitability of death, That each moment in our life can be last one from the very beginning. In other words - we're all born in the hands of death. Thus the cover art gives us full feel of it.

6.The musical project started out solo but the last few recordings have seen other musicians joining, what was the decision behind working with other musicians?
6. I'm often not happy with material I record because do everything by myself literally blindly. Today I can do everything solo as it was before but not as professional as other musicians. Sometimes I have new ideas, that needs some other timbres, sonic textures and instruments I don't play or just can't borrow. That is the main reason, hopefully it makes music better.

7.The new recording was released on 'Talheim Records', how did you get in contact with this label?
7. It was back in 2013-14 as I remember. Vocalist of PSYCHONAUT 4 contacted me and suggested to join the split (Psychonaut 4 / Cheerful Depression / Культура Курения / Hovert). Talheim records was a label who released the split. Label was interested in stuff I do. So I started to work with Talheim and work till now.

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of atmospheric and depressive black metal?
8. I guess this project little-known and there is not much success. Sometimes I get some positive album reviews and some support from bandcamp page. To be honest I've no idea on how to measure people's opinions, I don't make statistics. Probably some like it, some don't. Honestly, I'm not holding out much hope.

9.When can we expect another full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?
9. This is a tough question. Some people think that concept of full length albums died out. That is why more and more musicians make short releases. At times I have composes so different that it contradict each other and can't be on full release together. But small CD can unite them. That's why it is relevant personally for me. At the moment some songs are ready to record but need a time to get all pieces together under a full concept. I would not say any date not to think that far ahead. Let it be a little surprise.
But already this autumn 2020 it will be one more 30-35 minutes release which I hope would be interesting to hear. Very emotional raw and dark material with a bit of sound experiments.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. There are so many influences comes. From extreme genres like black/death/doom to ambient, academic composers, instrumental music, post punk and even electronic stuff like darkwave. I assume Hovert balancing between black and doom metal with different other genres mixed in. I feel free to use influences from different genres it gives me some identity.
As for last bands and projects I was listening let's say was - Blood Red Fog, Funeral (doom from Norway), Sale Freux, Dispirit, Skepticism, Urfaust... and many others.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11. Actually there are not so a lot. Arts, drawing, design, nature. A wandering in woods to clear my head.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12. Well thank you for having me. I'd thank all, who have been supporting project and paying attention to my music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HFVlbxE9ys

No comments:

Post a Comment