Sunday, May 5, 2024

Wurgilnõ Interview

 




1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the solo project since the recording of the new album?




Since the album is finished, I've been mainly focusing on promoting it. Additionally, there will soon be a Colombian version of the debut album released along with the "Angst" EP. I had to create all the artwork for this. In the meantime, I've also been working on new material and started on songs for a project with the singer of the Belgian band Nether.




2.In June you have a new album coming out, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?




The first album was initially intended as a demo, but Fetzner Death Records found it worthy and thus released it as an album with a bonus track. The main differences are the production, which is slightly tighter, and the fact that it was separately mastered. Also, a lot of time has been invested in researching the stories behind the songs and in the lyric writing process.




3.The lyrics cover the local legends of your home country, which stories from your local folklore have you covered with your songwriting so far?




I mainly use the stories and legends from Limburg, both Belgian and Dutch Limburg. Although the two provinces may be separated by a national border, myths and legends transcend boundaries. The most well-known legend in the region is that of the Bokkenrijders, a devilish gang of robbers who terrorized the area and spread murder and mayhem with the help of the devil. Additionally, I've used local tales such as the story of Entgen Luijten and the mining disaster in Brunssun in 1928. History is an important subject in my music.




4.I know that the bands name means 'a corpse on a gallow' in Dutch, how does this name fit in with the musical style that you play?




The name originated when I discovered in my family tree that one of my ancestors was sentenced to the gallows for his alleged activities as a Bokkenrijder; he was to be hanged until his body fell off naturally. It seemed like a beautiful inspiration for a Black Metal band. I've been playing in Black Metal bands since I was 15, starting in 1990 with Belphegor (NL), which later became Inverted Pentagram. I see Wurgilnō's style more as a collection of all the Black Metal styles that I personally enjoy.




5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?




The cover represents the Limburg landscape. "Krijtland" refers to the chalk that is abundant here and has been used in buildings since Roman times. Limburg has an incredibly rich history; it was once a vast sea where creatures like the Mosasaurus thrived. The Mosasaurus was first discovered in the marl here and named after the Meuse River. This river later became important for the early inhabitants and the Romans who founded Maastricht (Ad Mosam Trajectum). The marl is a time capsule that encapsulates the entire history of the region, from fossils to flint used for weapons and tools, to the drawings and inscriptions in the quarries. It's truly fascinating.




6.You are also involved in a few other solo projects, how does the music of 'Wurgilnõ' differ from your other solo material? 




Currently, alongside Wurgilnō, I'm also active in The Curse of Yig, which leans more towards Doom/Sludge with electronic influences, and we work on it with multiple people. Additionally, I'm collaborating with Joris Meeuwissen (Nether) on a project called Vergankelijk, which leans more towards Black/Doom and thematically explores the transience of the body. Musically, the main differences lie in the sound and playing style.




7.You also have worked with musicians in other bands or projects, do you feel you can accomplish more musically by working solo?




The biggest advantage is that I can record everything here at home in my own studio. Whenever I have an idea for a riff or something similar, I can record it immediately without having to consult others or discuss in a rehearsal space. A downside is the lack of feedback, and you have to be careful not to fall into a writer's block.




8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?




The reactions to Wurgilnō have been quite positive over the past year. So much so that soon the first album, along with last year's EP, will be released on CD in South America. That's incredibly exciting, especially considering that all the lyrics are in Dutch.




9.What is going on with your other musical projects these days?




With The Curse of Yig, things are currently quiet as we've been without a drummer for a while. With Vergankelijk, we're now making plans for the first album, which we need to start writing. Additionally, I'm working on a new album for an old project that I actually stopped 12 years ago but recently created some more songs for.




10/.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?




I love experimenting with effect pedals and sounds, so let's see where that takes me. I hope Krijtland gets noticed, and I can also make a follow-up album. There's no specific agenda or goal in that regard; making music is just a fun thing to do. I can express a lot of creativity and emotions through it.




11.What are some of the bands or musical styles you are currently listening to nowadays?




I mainly listen to my Dutch colleagues because I notice that hardly any band in this scene sounds the same; there's an enormous amount of talent in the Low Countries. Bands like Beenkerver, Bezwering, Schavot, Shagor, Hellevaerder, and Duindwaler, all unique and very good. Additionally, I'm drawn to the darker side of music, things like Gott, Dool, Chelsea Wolfe, and Amenra.




12.Does Occultism play any role in your music?




In the past, it was more present in my lyrics than it is now, although there is still a hint of Occultism in the songs. The old tales are filled with superstition about witchcraft and devil worship. For example, the Bokkenrijders were suspected of devil worship, and even the mine disaster of 1928 was attributed to the devil because it happened on a Friday the 13th, and 13 miners lost their lives. I understand that for many people, Black Metal is associated with the occult, but I also believe that there are few bands that are actually well-versed in that subject matter. There's more to occultism than just having The Satanic Bible or The Book of the Law on the bookshelf.




13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?




First of all, thank you for the interview, and I'd like to say to the readers, check out the album! There's a pre-order with some great t-shirt deals on my Bandcamp, so go take a look.




www.wurgilno.nl


wurgilno.bandcamp.com


No comments:

Post a Comment