Thursday, June 7, 2018

Utburd Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?

Hi! While I was working on the album, I started looking for a label that would really be interested in the distribution and high-quality promotion of the album. Satanath has become for me the ideal option. Specifically after recording the album, the Utburd project goes into the shadows. Since I am his alliance member, giving concerts does not make sense. It is very rare to find session musicians who are ready to work with material in our region operatively and they are all engaged in their projects. Although, now there are negotiations with the participation of one well-known group in Russia for the concert this fall.

2.In April you had released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

Yes, the release took place on April 15 this year. The sound on this record is qualitatively different from the previous album. First of all, it was spent more time. I did not hurry with the recording of the material and very critically approached to what happened. Some tracks were re-recorded already at the data reduction stage, as I did not like the final sound. Guitars were re-recorded three times. As a result, the sound on the album was more dense. Compositions sound harder, angrier and bolder. Also on this album I kept the tradition of the previous release in the part of deep atmospheric parts. It took a lot of time to create them. I'm very critical about creating the sound of the environment. I strive to immerse the listener in the composition, so that he feels his mood, was inside. It seems to me that I can do this on this record. I also had to work hard on the vocals. There was a more growl; the vocal parts came to the fore. This eventually added to the gloom and stiffness of the album.

3.The lyrics on the new album are based upon the writings of H.P Lovecraft, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this author?

Ironically, interest in Lovecraft arose while listening to the band The Vision Bleak, but to start his work immediately was not possible. After some time I immersed myself in his works and in a gulp read his most famous stories, such as "At The Mountains of Madness", " The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket", "Pikman's Model", " The Shadow over Innsmouth", " The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath" and many others. His manner of imitation, as he visualizes his works, captured me and inspired me to create the album concept.

4.Some of your older lyrics have more of an occult theme to them, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?

I would say, rather theological, rather than occult. Although, both of these concepts go side by side. The fact is that for a long time I was a clergyman in the Orthodox Church. Before that, I was fond of all sorts of mystifications and occult things. Partly because of my past, I became interested in the topic of religious mysticism. Secrets and images, which can be treated in different ways, there is more than enough. Having immersed myself in religion, I was interested not in the very interpretation of theological texts, but in the result, which their incorrect and preconceived notions can lead to. So, we have many religions, sects and mutual enmity. It seems that this will never end. There is freedom in the person and often she plays a cruel joke.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Utburd'?

Calling the project Utburd, I was inspired by Scandinavian mythology. In Norwegian tales, Utburd called the evil spirit of a unconquered baby. In ancient times, when in difficult times and frosty winters the baby was born, who by his existence threatened the life of the whole family by the fact that everyone simply did not have enough food, he was taken to the forest and left there. By the myths, the spirit of this baby wandered around the district until it gained strength, and then caused troubles to the family that left it.
The meaning of this myth is very deep for me. If the question concerns the life of the native person, one should always take risks and stay together, no matter how hard it is. Carry the burdens together, and not look for easy ways that can lead you to the grave.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

The art studio PAINT-IT-BLACK was engaged in decorating the cover and the booklet. I was fortunate enough to get acquainted with Vladimir Prokofiev, who under this title has been working on creating covers for metal bands for a long time. Lovecraft's theme was close to both of us. He had long wanted to create something about his works, but there was no suitable occasion. After listening to the demos and what I would like to see on the cover, he set to work. And I did it perfectly. On the cover there is an abandoned Innsmouth and Dagon, caused by a dark ritual, towering majestically above the world. It looks amazing!

7.On the recordings you record everything by yourself, do you have a hard time finding the same musicians that share the same vision as you?

I live in a small provincial town in Russia in the Murmansk region. There are few people here who listen to something harder than hard rock. And the more black metal is playing. Perhaps some still think that playing in this style does not need much intelligence, but it's not. Especially, if you're going to create complex multi-layered works. In general, wishing to play seriously, I did not find. And there is a plus in this - no need to compromise. You create exactly what you want. Although the time it takes more. But I'm not in a hurry.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

I would not say that I have a lot of fans. Basically, because the project UTBURD studio and does not give concerts. However, after the release of "The Horrors Untold", the number of people interested in my work has increased significantly. Of course, Satanath Records played a big role in this. They are really interested in promoting the groups they like. I can say that most of the fans are probably outside of Russia. UTBURD was conceived as an export project. In our country, native extreme metal still does not have a strong and reliable promotion, and remains in the underground.

9.The new album was released on 'Satanath Records', how would you compare working with them to your older label 'Molot Records?

The label Satanath made for me and my work much more than Molot. I can honestly say that after the expiration of the contract, I was not very pleased with the promotion of the first album. It seems to me that Molot invests only in popular and famous bands, and young ones, especially if they are on the periphery for them as another tick. However, I'm still grateful to them for pushing me to the metal stage. Satanath, as I said earlier, is really interested in the success of the release. Otherwise we would not have met!

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

I will try to continue to issue high-quality material. Perhaps, all the same, it will be possible to recruit musicians and give several concerts. I hope that after many years, I can stand in line with other famous one-man projects such as Pain or Summoning.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

The classical music influences me a lot: Vivaldi, Mozart, Telemann. All the same I have a musical education in the class of flute. The new work inspired me The Vision Bleak, Behemoth, Satyricon. Now I often listen to the extreme release of Satyricon - "Deep Calleth Upon Deep", Emperor's first album, Dimmu Borgir - "Spiritual Black Dimentions" early Doors recordings.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Listen to good music, read good books, have your personal opinion on everything that is happening around you! Buy albums and support your favorite artists. Do not betray metal. Stay Metal!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
SoundCloud
VKontakte

No comments:

Post a Comment