Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Hexalter Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


Hexalter is a blasting black death incarnation which is currently a solo project of Khorismos Khan, aka myself, Adam Russell. I have worked with 2 friends of mine to lay the drums down for each release.


2.So far you have released 2 singles and an ep, musically how do they differ from each other?


Perishing in Muted Reality is faster and more aggressive while the second one, Sepulchral Totem Spirit is more dead and cold sounding. They share similarities and they're both in the same spirit, but the contrast is intentional. The project will retain its freedom to move along its own path. I don't feel the need to always be the same.


3.The band has been around since 2015 but waited until 2021 to release any music, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time span?


Hexalter has been a full band before, and I've been involved in other projects. I’ve done some giggling with the other projects, which fell apart. I then had to regroup, moved across states, and tried to find new people to work with. In recent times, it's become apparent that Hexalter is still very important to me. I've had other ideas for how to bring it back, but it has taken some time to settle on what I want to do with it.  It’s been more black and roll, and noise at certain points. The current form is what’s closest to my heart and true vision.


4.You also have covered some satanic and ancient alien topics with your lyrics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?


They are topics that always open up some of the bigger questions. Conventional modern life does what it can to make sure those questions are buried and forgotten. I don't claim to have the answers but it is obviously essential to explore the powers of the past, future, and their energy. If you know, you know when you have tapped into the stream. It is not a blind faith, it is lucidity with eyes open. Life is not just what we see directly around us, and I believe there are beings that exist which we don't fully understand. In human history, it is apparent to me that there has been some intervention from a more advanced species. Right now we are an ant hill in a jungle to them. They may visit from time to time, not entirely interested in us, but observant. Satan is one of many symbols of the lost primal nature of man. One of a pantheon of entities who can create and take life away, just as we do. 


5.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music? 


Magick, war, dreams, life with chronic pain, (my own and others'), living with handicaps and disabilities, martyrdom, religion, human nature, what we define as success in this world.


6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Hexalter'?


To Hex, Exalt, and to Alter. A trinity of transformation.


7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the current single cover?


It is a caricature of the physical manifestation of fear and evil. It's what I envisioned as a mythological bringer of disease and death in the natural world. It is not a realistic depiction, but more so a totem of the negative forces of the universe. It is alive, although it was attempted to be killed, apparent by the dagger through its mouth and the symbolism that it represents.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


I am interested. Being newly revived as of last year, I'll know when the time is right. I'm navigating a world of extracurriculars for the project.


9.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


A full length could come in time when logistics and lineups are more stabilized. I could do one now, but I’d want the timing to be right. Also probably when there is some collaboration and support from a label. There will be EP’s for sure and I like the flow of working that way for now. I'm in talks now about working with some new and familiar people. There are different things I want to capture on different releases and different people I want to work with. We're still living in times of uncertainty and peoples' schedules are irregular. The project will continue and adapt and do what's best for it at the time.


10. .What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I listen to many of the metal sub genres, as well goth, darkwave, punk, shred guitar, and noise. I'm close to my 40's and in a cliche way perhaps enjoy the music of my youth more these days. In the end, I still love dirty, old rock and roll, and heavy metal. As a direct influencer on Hexalter, I'll always feel a closeness with Arkhon Infaustus, Antaeus, Enthroned, Funeral Mist, Nehemah, Impiety, and Averse Sefira. Other bands I enjoy a lot are classic Cryptopsy, Sarpanitum, Diabolic, the various Gene Palubicki projects, and Vader. For my last release, I was listening more to Bathory, Pest, and Judas Iscariot.


11.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


People should hold onto their passions. Don't fear the work of finding your own path. Channel the great power without taking yourself overly seriously. Share in the passion of music with others. 

Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment