Monday, March 6, 2023

Necrovescent Ruiner Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

It's me in a tiny room in Portland Oregon with a bunch of music gear normally reserved for buttrock. I said to myself "buttrock no more" and became evil at that very instant. Horns began to grow out of my head and a long pointy tale bolted out of my sphincter like an eel emerging from under a reef in the Amazon. With my $200 Chinese Ibanez Iceman turned up to about 6 on the master knob, I blurted into the microphone my first word as my reborn self, that word being "krieg". The force caused by this unholy utterance combined with a low A power chord resulted in the formation of my new project, Necrovescent Ruiner. 


2.You have an album coming out in March, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

There are so many cool looking records with sick art that sound like total dog dick, and that was sort of what I was going for. The last record I did, Box - Cherry Blossoms At Night, was an experiment in making things sound as good as possible with what gear I had and abilities I possessed, making a dozen different versions of several songs that I may have started recording over 10 years ago, just total whacko nutjob tryhard shit. Untouchable Faith Decay on the other hand, is drinking a 6 pack of beer and a couple shots of tequila at 3am and recording 25 minutes worth of drums with a scant musical backdrop and having that be the foundational entirety of an album, whether they're good or bad, then coming back the next day and listening to what I did, throwing guitar/bass/synths/vocals on top of it, trying to make it somewhat coherent in theme, and then spending another 4 days mixing it in a way that I shouldn't. There's very little situational awareness involved. It's like being a kid again and being stoked on farting into a microphone and showing it to your friends, getting high off of the idea that you've made something despite how pedestrian it is and how musically pedantic it isn't.


3.The lyrics on the new release are a concept album, can you tell us a little bit more about the story you covered with this release?

I was thinking about how close we are for implant technology to becoming a norm, a standard, like how we used to live our lives without cell phones without issue 20 years ago but now the thought of not having one is like being naked. There could be collectively a similar situation where implants are so much of a norm that it would be absolute insanity not to have them. How does cell phone usage affect our bodies and mind? We have some idea but the only way to know for sure is for enough time to pass, we might be walking around with fucking asbestos in our pockets and up to our ears and not know about it now. Before I say anything else, I don't know shit about what I'm about to say, I am not a science guy. But, imagine implant tech fusing with your DNA/RNA to a point where you're passing down implant tech via sexual intercourse into your partner and into your future children. Fast forward 2000 years or some shit. Then go watch Beastmaster or Thundarr the Barbarian but make it death/black metal in aesthetic and super uncomfortable and gross. That is the picture I'm trying to make with this record.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Necrovescent Ruiner'?

Evanescence is my favourite band of all time and I wanted to call the band Evanescence originally but they stole the band name idea so as a silent form of revenge I named it Necrovescence and then to Necrovescent so as not to appear as a copycat band since our music is very similar. Ruiner was added at the end to express something of necrovescence ruining something, like an orgasm when you're down in the morgue and the corpse keeps laughing at you and your piddly little necropeen.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

I had my pal Anton Issendorff in Vienna come up with a drawing of two necrobabes with 3 horns, 2 off of the sides of their heads and the one in the middle adjoining their heads forever, sort of a fucked up reminder that no matter where you go, there you are and there they are too, that they being you. Jiddu Krishnamurti went in great detail about how there are two "you's", the one that actively experiences and reacts to life, and the other that acts as a camera, watching replays of past moments in time and applying meaning, judgment, and purpose to them, which causes your active self to suffer through over-analyzation.


6.Has the band done any live shows or open to the idea?

No, but I'm totally open to it as long as my potential bandmates have never touched an instrument in their entire lives, something I've always wanted to do.


7.The album is going to be released on 'Miserable Pyre', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

It's a physical/digital outlet and umbrella for everything I'm involved with, solo and collaborative projects specifically. I have put out my three solo releases as box over the years on miserable pyre, a small batch of youtube covers under my holybookofwang handle, and am planning several EP releases with several collaborators as two-piece bands, and a soundtrack to a to-be-named IP when it's ready to go. 


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

I'm not sure, and in typical black metaldom I don't care too much, I listen to a lot of black metal but people that align their existences with sub-cultures tend to be dimwitted and have questionable moral compasses, like people that are adamantly against racist or nationalist bm (rightfully) but are totally ok and/or silent on bands with rapists and abusers. It's pretty fucked. At that point I think it's better to just not be outspoken about personal beliefs if you openly condemn one fucked thing but not another. Just go listen to your nerd shit on your headphones and be quiet.


9.Are any of the band members also involved with any other bands or musical projects?

I have worked with Seventh Rule/Profound Lore/Relapse band Atriarch since 2016 as bassist and will be engineering/mixing our next record this summer. Since 2018 I have been involved with Poison Idea as lead guitarist and have worked on a number of projects with Jerry A as a collaborator and engineer. Beyond those 2 things I am primarily focused on my label Miserable Pyre and all of the projects I'm recording for it, including box/icybox, my holybookofwang youtube channels, and my Fields of the Nephilim cover band with Soriah, Ashkelon Sain of Trance to the Sun, Atriarch bandmate Maxamillion Avila, and Devon Lopentrone of Ruby Lustre. I am also hoping to collaborate on a very fucking cool video game but I can't say anything about it yet.


10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Not entirely sure, I'm recording one right now that's dark ambience fused with prog thrash but it might go under a different name depending on how it turns out toward the end. Yes, dark ambience and prog thrash together in one sentence may sound like musical suicide to most people but I am committing musical suicide on the daily and somebody's gotta do it.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

The new Crawl and Blut Aus Nord records are bad af. I was listening to a lot of Harry Partch while making Untouchable Faith Decay. Watched a couple Tarkovsky movies. Revisited some Carpathian Forest, Velvet Cacoon, Judas Iscariot, and Captain Beyond. I listen to Seikima II almost every day to this day, they are the greatest band of all time. If I ever have to hear Ziggy Stardust ever again I am going to jump off of a cliff.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Buy my shit, metal kiddies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment