Monday, March 27, 2023

Wolfpath Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new ep?


V. Well quite a lot has happened! Since the premiere of the EP via BMP youtube channel I managed to sign a deal with ADG Records. I worked with a graphic designer (Bartosz Hervy) on the CD/MC layout. In the meantime, I managed to complete a live line-up. We've been working all the time on promo/bio texts and preparing a promotional strategy for the premiere of the album, which is coming soon, on 31/03/23!


2.In January you had released a new e.p, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


V. Of course, the starting point is pure fucking black metal - with all its fury, melancholy, melody and gritty sound. From the beginning I had a very coherent vision of what I wanted to achieve sonically. I paid a lot of attention to the mix of the rhythm section, in which the bass guitar plays a special role - for me it is a very important instrument and I put a lot of emphasis on exposing this instrument in the mix. Another thing is the guitars - here I wanted a slightly unusual lo-fi sound for which I used, for example, various types of fuzz. Of course, we put a lot of attention to the drums, but here the production focused on power and generating a dark atmosphere with reverbs. Vocals are also an issue that has not been left to chance - I have the impression that in many black metal productions the vocals are hidden - I like the vocals to peel off the skin and that's how we mixed it! It seems to me that we managed to get quite an original and damn strong sound on the debut EP!


3.Both of the band members have a history of playing in other bands, what is it that you bring into the music of 'Wolfpath' that you were not able to do with your other groups?


V. For me, it's certainly everything - both my projects - whether goth rock Deathcamp Project or post-punk Undertheskin - are based on different emotions and, above all, means of expression. There is no place for heaviness, blasts and screaming vocals. So Wolfpath is a place where I can vent all extreme emotions. 


M. Projects in which I have participated or still contribute are extreme music, but each of them is a different direction. In Besatt and Inferno, I emphasized the technical aspects of creating drums, such as the pace and brutality of the parts. Acherontas, despite its raw black metal roots, is currently quite an atmospheric avant-garde project, which I have to approach from a different angle when it comes to creating parts, while Wolfpath is a return to the roots, devotion to the classics. In this case, I focused mainly on Void's guitar to maintain the right atmosphere and the magic of the genre


4.Both of the band members also have experience working with other musical genres other than black metal, do you feel this has made you more diverse as musicians?


V. Well - probably yes, but in Wolfpath I wasn't looking for progressive solutions - the core of this music is really primal. It's supposed to kick in the face, burn with fire and leave ashes. Certainly, many years of experience help in faster and more efficient studio work. I just know what I want to achieve and I know how to do it


M. Well I guess it’s  question to Void , I don’t play anything apart from metal ha ha 


5.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?


V. The lyrics in Wolfpath are probably a bit different from the classic satanic verses. I am far from threatening organized religions etc. I deeply believe that these will end on their own... It's kind of a concept and a personal story. It's a metaphorical wolf's journey through anger, fall, blood, and fire to inner transformation, strength, and victory! I don't wallow much in death and misery here - I'd rather light a fire and watch it burn!


6.On the ep cover and in the logo you have a rune symbol, do the band members have an interest in Norse or Germanic Paganism?


V. When it comes to paganism - Slavic, Germanic or Scandinavian mythology is undoubtedly fascinating, but it is not a direct source of research and inspiration for Wolfpath. However, I am very interested in the runes themselves. Their magical power, meaning, energy, symbolism - the possibility of working with them also as a source of fortune-telling for example. It is their importance and strength that made them appear in the logo and symbolism of the band. It's basically a combination of two runes - Ansuz, which symbolizes (very simplistically) knowledge and inspiration, and Tiwaz, which represents determination, justice, courage and using of all your skills and wisdom for victory


7.Originally the band started out as a solo project, what was the decision behind expanding into a duo?


V. You're right - the material for Wolfpath's debut was created as a solo project with a drum machine (there's nothing worse in metal music, right?). This was mainly due to pragmatic reasons. I didn't have any sensible drummer in mind, and I didn't want to "borrow" a drummer only for sessions - I wanted a musician who was really involved in the project. A mutual friend put me in touch with Marcello and after a few conversations and exchanging music files it turned out that Marcello is exactly what was needed to transform the lone wolf into the wolfpack. In addition, he is a very experienced drummer and really brought a lot of feeling, technique and fire to the whole project.


8.I have also read the band is planning on doing live shows in the future, what can we expect musically once you hit the live stage?


V. Well, that's still a very open question. In fact, I managed to complete the live line-up - but we haven't had a chance to start rehearsals yet. I am still at the stage of planning and developing the Wolfpath live concept. I would like concerts to be absolutely unique, atmospheric and fire-breathing events. Time will tell, but I'm really optimistic!


9.The ep was also released on  'A.D.G Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?


V. What can I say - it is a young label founded by music enthusiasts as well as experienced people who know the industry. I hope that we will be able to do a lot together and Wolfpath will be a priority band for ADG! So keep your fingers crossed - release day is coming!


10.On a worldwide level, how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


V. The reaction after the digital release of the EP was beyond my expectations. The feedback was basically only good and very good. I am really grateful for it! The music market is really full - every day there are hundreds of new albums. I really appreciate that someone found time to listen properly and write an opinion, review or interview!


11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


V. It's a difficult question - I'm a fan of small artistic forms. I think 25-30 minutes is the max for a black metal album nowadays. So I don't know if it's already a full album or still an EP for you? Basically the music for the second album is already written (about 6-7 tracks). These are demo versions still with a drum machine and no vocals yet. But I think it should be ready to mix later this year. So It would be great to release it in 2024.  Musically it is a bit different - quite naturally the songs came out a bit longer, maybe a bit slower and darker. But don't worry, there's still plenty of room for blast beats!


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles the band members are currently listening to nowadays?


V. Well I’m listening to new Depeche Mode right now. A lot of black metal too - just discovered the guys from Polish Kalt Vindur - very good one! Horda - Form, Piołun - Rzeki Goryczy and so on…I’ve returned to Sektementum CD - Aut Caesar Aut Nihil.There’s actually a lot going on in music and It's really hard to find the time to thoroughly listen to all the valuable records that are out there.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


V. Thank you for the interview and supporting Wolfpath! 

No comments:

Post a Comment