Thursday, March 9, 2023

Vesanus Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project/


Vesanus is an Italian black metal one man band which proposes a black metal alternated with atmospheric and ambient parts, direct result of external sensations and emotions coming from its only member.


2.In the last year you have released 2 full lengths and an ep, musically how do they both differ from each other?


The three works, as well as the previous ones, do not follow a real path, being pure externalization of what I feel, each album has a story in itself, given by a given period, journey or other.

Graveyard Tales is the more black metal one, albeit with melodic parts inside.

Dungeon is a totally ambient EP. It is a descent into the night, within the cold walls of a medieval dungeon.

Endless Oblivion instead is a real mix of black metal and ambient/electronic parts. A musical journey of reflections against society and the human being, which then ends with the electronic part devoted to discouragement / despair.


3.You have done albums that where all black metal and also have done some ambient albums, how would you compare the two different styles?


As I see it, they are two sides of the same coin.

Mixing them is natural for me and sometimes even necessary in order to really being able to express myself in music.


4.You also took a 10 year break from releasing any music, what was the cause of the hiatus and the decision behind recording music again?


I can say that ten years ago my life was totally different and for both lack of means and choice I decided to abandon everything.

During this time I have never abandoned (and never will!) black metal, living it through listening sessions and attending concerts as much as I could.

My return into recording music happened almost spontaneously, returning from a trip to the Republic of San Marino, compelled me to externalize the experiences and sensations I experienced in those days, so I took over the project again. Since then it was all a descent, as if certain doors had been opened.


5.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


All of my outputs more or less follow a common thread, so in addition to more thematic works such as S.M. and Dungeon my lyrics are often hymns against the human being and society.


6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Vesanus'?


The term Vesanus comes from the Latin and means crazy, insane, sick. A term that best describes who I am and what my music is about.



7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


I take care personally of creating the various artworks (when it’s possible, I also take all the photos). As for the latest work (Endless Oblivion) both the cover and the rest of the images represent the mental anguish caused by the contemplative journey experienced during the composition of the album.


8.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


I write all the music and lyrics, but to achieve a better result I have chosen to rely on a couple of friends who are musicians more skilled than me.

The only exceptions were S.M. and Dungeon, where the inspiration was so direct that I skipped this step.


9.In 2022 you had released an album on 'Kold Cave Production', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?


Kold Cave Production is an Italian underground black metal label.

It has been active for a couple of years and deals with black metal productions that maintain the genuineness of the underground spirit, therefore productions full of "soul", not plastic or similar.

I recommend following it:

https://www.instagram.com/koldcaveproduction/

https://www.facebook.com/KoldCaveProduction

https://koldcaveproduction.bandcamp.com/


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


Although it is a particular project (not very "canonical") and very underground, I can say that the reactions have been positive, all in all.


11.Where do you see yourself heading into as musician during the future?


Exactly where I am now, making music when I feel the extreme need.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I can't answer this question as I've never had a "beacon" band to inspire me or to follow. I can certainly say that The Count has been a great source of inspiration, but otherwise my listening will have done the rest.



13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 


Thanks to OccultBlackMetalZine for the given space.

If interested, follow my music at

https://vesanus.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/vesanusband/


Keep alive the Black Flame of Black Metal, always!


No comments:

Post a Comment