Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Aphelium Aeturnum Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before can you tell us a little bit about the band?


Well I had this project with a more symphonic style quite a while in my mind, and finally began to write the first songs around 2018. To bring this band to life I needed a good keyboard player and knew my cousin M. P. is a very talented guy so I asked him to join and he luckily agreed. The rest of the musicians I already knew from bands we worked on together, like Schrat, Hexenfluch and Pestnebel. 


2.You have your first full length coming out in December, musically how does it differ form your previous demo?


The demo is more or less a promo tape for the album, it should have been released much earlier, but was delayed. It features three songs in raw versions, bass and vocals have been redone for the album, and of course the mix is different. 


3.The band was originally formed in 1995 but broke up for more than 20 years, what was the cause of the split and also the decision to reform?


In 1995 the band sounded quite different from what you can hear now, just raw Black Metal without any symphonic parts. I had asked two friends of mine, who were in the band Sorcerer, to join. We rehearsed for maybe half a year, had already plans for a demo called "Shades from the Assassin Empire", but I realized my songwriting needed to improve, so we put it on ice. Instead I joined Sorcerer who later were renamed into Eclipse, a demo was released in 1996, the band split up around 1998, we had material for a whole album which was written by our Lead guitarist, but he quit before we could record it. If you wanna know how Aphelium Eternal would have sounded, listen to the Hexenfluch album, the first song is more or less 100% taken from an old A. E. song, and in the second song there are also some riffs that had been used back then. For the decision to pick up that old name again, it simply fits the sound and concept I had in mind. 


4.Most of the band members are in other bands, what is it that you bring into the music of 'Aphelium Aeternum' that you are not able to do with your other groups?


Aphelium Aeternum has a more symphonic style than for example my other bands Pestnebel and Hexenfluch. Also the lyrical topics differ, I was always interested in cosmic themes, so this was fitting just perfect. 


5.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?


The first album has one continuing story, someone who leaves his physical presence and explores the cosmic realms, growing to some godlike entity and finally creates his own multiverse. The last song skips back to the beginning, where the dead frozen body of the protagonist still staring into the night sky, while his spirit left long ago. The next album is nearly completed with the writing process and will be called "Cathedral of Cosmic Nightmares", this time it's a more loose concept, and deals with actual nightmares I once experienced, weird stories that also had some cosmic background. 


6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Aphelium Aeternum'?


Aphelium is the point where the planet is the furthest from the sun, Aeternum means eternity, so you could somehow interpret it as an eternity in darkness, I'm of course aware that this is physically incorrect, it's just a metaphore. 


7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


I know the guy who did this from a forum, I liked the artworks he did so far and asked him if he wanted to do the artwork for our album. What you can see is somehow the beginning of the journey, the nightsky above the mountains, and space with it's "Dark interstellar mysteries" that the protagonist is going to discover.


8.Has the band done any live shows or open to the idea?


Nothing has been planned so far, but as we all live quite far from each other it would be difficult to organize rehearsals, so that would mean we need to raise a good amount of money for a gig. Not sure organizers would be willing to pay that. The last show I did was with Schrat in early 2019. 


9.The new album is going to be released on 'Dominance of Darkness Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?


I knew him because he released the LP version of the Hexenfluch "Aradia" Album and I was very satisfied with his work. It might not be the most well known label, but he made the best offer. 


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


I have not seen that many reviews yet, but those I have discovered were all pretty good. Of course I'm happy that people like my creations, but most of all I can say that I'm very satisfied with the album myself. I hope there will be some more promo from the label soon when the LP version will be released. 


11.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?


Hexenfluch will release an EP (maybe also as split LP) with three new songs, only vocals need to be added. Pestnebel are working on a new album too, recordings will start in January 2024. New Aphelium Aeternum album is planned to be recorded in spring 2024. Not sure if Auro or Drudensang (where our singer is involved) have new releases in the making yet. 


12.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


The next album will include six new songs, which are all pretty long, and I guess the atmosphere will be even a bit darker than on the debut. We added a second guitar player to the line up, who will also bring in some ideas. But the style won't change that much, still Arcane Cosmic Black Metal. 


13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


The first band that brought me to Metal was Iron Maiden in 1985, but for sure that's not audible in our sound. Of course Bathory, Possessed, Masters Hammer, Nocturnus were influences and obviously bands like Limbonic Art, Emperor or Sirius. Nowadays I still listen to the old classics, but sometimes some great new stuff also finds it's way into my CD player, like White Rune, Cosmic Church, Aethrick, Nightbringer or Akhlys. What I really hate is new trends like Post BM or RABM, this shit just doesn't belong here, that fucking crap needs to be destroyed!!!


14.How would you describe your views on Ocultism?


I made some experiences with Occultism when I was younger, but I was never part of some society or cult. I would say I have my own kind of spirituality, and of course I also accept that there is a dark side in all things, I know there are some bands who seem to be really deep in that topic like Behexen or Ofermod, which I both like a lot, but I don't follow that path in that strict ways anymore. Of course, if we speak about Black Metal, it is always linked to occult and satanic themes, more or less, that's the way it should be, my bands pay tribute to that too, some more some less, but nowadays it's more the occult fictions of H.P. Lovecraft and the likes that influence my lyrics than Crowley or Levi. 


15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


I'm turning 50 in a few weeks and hope I still will be able to record some new music during the coming years. I also have a new project in the making called Daemon Temple, the first demo should be out soon too. Thanks for your interest and support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment