Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Lenax Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording and release of the new ep?


Most recently we released a lyric video for the open track "Inversion", a bleak song about an alternate universe with no light. The live band is in rehearsal at the moment, and we are looking forward to hitting the stage in early 2024.


2.In October you released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


Black metal is a diverse style, and I wanted to explore the space the genre had to offer. Sonically I want to take the listener on a journey that parallels the lyrics, which paint a picture of isolation, illumination, and self willed redemption. As someone who has a large influence from classic heavy bands such as Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, there is a dash of "Black n Roll" in there as well. 


3.Some of your lyrics cover Occultism, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?


I consider myself a practitioner, and the music is an output that results from that sort of work. I do make a point not to make an objective truth claim about my personal practice, nor do I have any interest in converting someone to my point of view. If I could give a brief answer that wouldn't take up your entire article, I consider myself a follower of the Left Hand Path. What that means can and should be unique to the individual.


4.Lyrically you are also inspired by the writings of H.P Lovecraft and Cosmic Horror, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in his writings and also do you have an interest in the other authors that have expanded on the stories and self made mythology he has created?


I haven't yet read the countless other authors in the Cthulhu Mythos, but that is more a matter of available time. Where I have ventured out is in occult authors who use the mythos as a basis for praxis. You can find books on my shelf by Anton LaVey, Toby Chappell, Phil Hine, S Ben Qayin, and many more. The core ideas of strange gods, dream work, astral travel, and horror of the unknown become tools to the practitioner, and are ever present in the lyrics on the EP.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Lenax'?


This is a word that is meaningful to me that has been encoded to obscure its meaning, while also sent out into the world. In chaos magic circles, this is what you might call a "hyper sigil". 


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep?


Each song has a piece of art associated with it that attempts to capture the essence of the song. "Inner Dimension" for example shows a labyrinth in the mind, while "Of Greater Forces" depicts a man tapping into other worldly powers. Many of these pieces were partially created with AI, seeded by photographs that myself or those close to me had taken. 


7.You also have worked with musicians from other parts of the world, what impact has this had on the music?


The session musician thing was originally a means to an end, a way to help accelerate the home recording process. Working with them has had the unexpected effect of giving me a creative soundboard to exchange ideas. I actually utilized my Greek bass player for a spoken portion in one song, "Beneath the Chapel". There is an invocation in the middle of that song spoken in ancient Hellenic that we have left untranslated, sort of an easter egg for fellow practitioners. 


8.I have also read that you are working on future live shows, what can we expect musically once you finally hit the live stage?


As we have played in the rehearsal space as a four piece, the music is harsher, more energetic, and just plain better. One of the things I am excited about for example is splitting lead guitar duties with Silence, my right hand man. As a music fan I have always loved metal bands where both guitarists play lead. Also the addition or Profana from the band Blood Stained Dusk has been incredible. He is an absolute machine on the drum kit, and has made some real improvements to the energy and arrangement of the songs.


9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


We are absolutely interested in working with a label but it has to make sense for all involved. I do have a small PR company I have partnered with, while I do all the social media work myself. Getting with a label would have to be a perfect storm of connections, mentorship, and a roster of bands that operate as a legion. If we hit those markers, then yes that would certainly be on the table. 


10.On a worldwide level, how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


This one has been hard to gauge, as the sheer number of small or solo black metal bands is quite impressive. I can say that our biggest listening audience is in Mexico and South America, where metal is always a big deal. Also we received editorial coverage in a Danish music magazine along with a very positive review. Seeing kind words come from Scandanavian music critics is a super positive win for a new band.


11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


Ideally I want to at least write and record during 2024, and possibly release by the end of next year. Musically we will continue to be diverse, combining the bleak lyrics with melodic guitar work. I expect there to continue to be a common story thread, while exploring a few areas we didn't cover sonically on the EP. This will include some dissonant tones in the vein of Deathspell Omega or Blut Aus Nord, as well as an entire song in a constructed language extrapolated from the Yuggothic language from Lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu. 


12.What are some of the bands  or musical styles that you are currently listening to nowadays?


Ask any black metal fan this question and you get a long list of bands! I have an absolute love of Norwegian bands such as Mork, Khold, Kampfar, Borgarting, and Djevel. Along with that there are other bands that do things I find super creative and unexpected such as Negative Plane, Mephorash, and Mgla.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


I love your occult themed focus in music reviews, and thank you for reaching out to us. If any of your readers dig the music, please drop a comment on any of our social media pages.

linktr.ee/LenaxMetal

No comments:

Post a Comment